fiduciary

Author Topic: Black Blade  (Read 13104 times)

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
Black Blade
« on: August 15, 2013, 09:05:01 AM »
I prematurely posted this pic last night and thought better of that decision. Now with Turgons permission I am posting some of his findings over at the IRA.  First a quote from that thread.

Quote from: @turgon" source="/post/25308/thread" timestamp="1376541842
Ok, I broke down and purchased two small sheets of polarizing filters.  DA graciasly donated a piece of 7/8" trains white poly cut to a7" length.  I learned a few things ,which I will share with whomever attempts to create a full sized blade.  I have not figured out how to join the seams well nor what to use for the tips, but it is otherwise solid.   This only works with a black blade from all directions.  There is some distortion at odd angles, but since this is a light sucking and emitting blade, a little distortion comes with the territory.  Almost all of the pictures are on the same hilt running an Igniter R4. I think it is an LEDengin, but I'm not sure...

I have estimated that it would cost about $150 to transform three blades up to 34" each into "black blades."  And it cuts the perceived light by about 40%.

You may now commence to criticize. ;)

And of course some pics of the proof of concept.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:49:19 AM by nartules »

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline Professor Huyang

• Formerly known as TyFighter
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
Re: Black Blade
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 09:24:05 AM »
I gotta admit, as someone who doesn't really care for the black blade phenomenon, I find this pretty cool, from an "experimental, pushing the hobby forward" kind of way.

I will reserve final judgement for a final video, but this looks promising.

I'll also reiterated what was said on the IRA, and call this "The Turgon effect."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:34:47 AM by TyFighter »
"Many years I have been on this ship teaching many a Jedi before you, and I will continue teaching many a Jedi after you. Call me what you want, but inside my memory banks I contain a record of every lightsaber ever made, and the Jedi who fashioned it."
―Huyang

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 09:35:11 AM »
Well I'll be.....

Someone actually did it.  For someone who has been fairly critical of the concept, I have to admit that I am impressed.  The second picture with the blue/ black blade looks pretty cool.  While I personally don't have an interest in owning a blade of this style, I know there is interest for it in the community.  I think my frustration with the whole concept is that most people have initially theorized on how to make one rather than buying parts and experimenting.  Without the practical experimentation this hobby becomes stagnant. 

It was crude testing through trial and error that moved the hobby forward.  While that may cost money, it is THE key factor to getting results.  I've been doing this kind of testing and experimenting for years before FX sabers existed, and it's refreshing to see that there are still people out there that are willing to spend a few dollars and try things to see if their concept works.  I guess my frustration with the black saber blade has more to do with people not willing to spend any time, money or energy into practical experimentation. 

The illuminated saber community is a do it yourself one.  Let's embrace that and not spoon feed newcomers who expect to be given all the answers.  We are not to knock them.  We should encourage their fresh enthusiasm by telling them that they need to experiment and see the results of their theories themselves.  Let's get some innovation back into blade technology!   : )  It's the backbone of this hobby.  No one, and I mean no one who has made huge strides forward has done so by theorizing alone.  Perhaps the results of this concept could yield results for problem solving in unexpected ways, or side benefits if you will.  It's another result of experimentation that wouldn't exist without practical application.  Theorizing alone wouldn't garner it.

This black blade concept is a welcome one in my book, as long as we see people experimenting and showing their results.  Whoever is involved in the pictures posted above, I applaud you for testing your ideas, and thank you nartules for sharing it! 

End of rant.  Psab
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:42:25 AM by Psab Keel »

Offline Iggy

• Formerly known as Polarcupz
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 09:44:53 AM »
Very nice work. While expensive, it is very interesting to see an outcome of quality. great work Turgon!

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

Offline Vercify

• Master Force User
  • rawr
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 09:46:19 AM »
It was inevitable that someone would figure out a way to pull this off eventually. Still, that in no way diminishes the awesomeness of the accomplishment and the hard work involved. Well done, Turgon!! I can't wait to see where this goes from here  :)

Offline Vercify

• Master Force User
  • rawr
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 09:47:32 AM »
Very nice work. While expensive, it is very interesting to see an outcome of quality. great work Turgon!

I mean, $150 for 3 - 34" blades is about $50 a blade, which isn't all that bad. LDM's nylon blades run for about $40 themselves.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 09:49:54 AM »
I'm interested to see a test with this film used internally on a clear blade.  that would be the functionality test I suppose.  as far as looks, the pictures look very promising. 

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 09:51:53 AM »
OK I thought you guys where joking AGAIN. ::)

All I can say is why didn't I see this before? :o I done so many mods on my G-Shocks with these and LCD's All I can say is Duhow! Yup a few sheets laying around too!

Don't forget to try diagonal with sheets to see what effect it would do. I'll give it a try when I sneak into the "Cave' tonite. BooHaaHaa!!

Great job.

Now how many people will "Rock" these bad boys?  8)
 Time for that font from the Clone Wars. 8)

"You have to unlearn to learn a new"

Offline GreyJedi

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 09:53:08 AM »
i knew it could be done

Good job bro

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 09:58:45 AM »
ok, lets cut to the chase, how much?  :P

Offline Sunrider

• Unlimited Brightness!!! RRROOAARRR!!!
  • Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 10:24:43 AM »
 Props to you. This is appears to be an actual step toward that effect.  8)  Pics are good but we need video.

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 11:35:53 AM »
Turgon mentioned that a video would be forthcoming after he secures it better as its just held together with zip ties at the moment.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline Silver Serpent

• Force User
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
Color me impressed at getting a proof of concept working.

This is far more refreshing to see than another, "I have an *idea* on how to make a black blade" post. 

Good job to Turgon, and I'm also looking forward to the video.

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 12:02:26 PM »
  If the Film is not sticky enough to hold to the blade. You may need a film of Mylar to hold it down. Yes it is gonna be tricky.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 12:14:01 PM »
It is great to see someone actually bite the bullet and put up the R&D costs.  It looks great so far and I look forward to seeing what your end result is! :)  While I am not personally a fan of the black blade, there is most assuredly a market for it.  Many people would be thrilled to have something with the black core that can be seen from all angles.  It would be nice to have something to offer to those folks.  Keep us all posted!

Facebook: VVFB

retrousse