fiduciary

Author Topic: Nerf Blaster with BC 3.1 Build log  (Read 4109 times)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
Nerf Blaster with BC 3.1 Build log
« on: July 04, 2012, 02:34:07 PM »
So, right around the time that I finished Juan's e-11 build, I decided that I wanted to try my hand at something a little more decked out, yet not as expensive.  What more could I ask for than a BC 3.0 and a nerf blaster?  So, I went to target and looked at all of the blasters they had.  I really liked the most expensive one there (it had a nice stock, scope, and was full auto) but I decided I didn't need the best gun if I was just gonna tear it apart and start over.  Then the Lumitron caught my eye.  

it features a removable clip, and the new disk launching system.  For anyone who hasn't tried the new disk system I would highly recommend it.  it works extremely well as a blaster to deflect with a saber.  Unfortunately, the mechanism in the disk launchers takes up almost all of the empty space, so I had to get rid of it for electronics.  I didn't mind so much as the disks don't really simulate blaster fire as much as the darts anyway.  

So, I knew I had to paint it, but I wanted to keep the stock grey parts for a nice two-tone look.  Unfortunately, taping the complex indents and extrusions from the body was an impossible task.  I tried painting it by hand, but it wouldn't give an even coat.  

that picture is the almost complete paint job that I would have liked to have given it (there are a couple of spots that I was able to tape, and they are covered in that pic) but I wound up going all black after the 2nd and 3rd coats by hand still weren't opaque enough.  Here's what I wound up with.  

Now, from the start I liked the look of the other blaster better because of the stock and scope.  So, I went on ebay and found a stock and a scope that fit the lumitron.  

the scope lights up with 3 different modes (shown in video) from the factory.  

Recharge port got placed at the bottom right of the gun in this pic

I drilled for a bargraph in the rear grip

and a ray progression in the barrel

Main and aux flashes

While I had the boards in hand, I decided to take a pic grouping a CF 5.5, CF 5.6, BC 3.1, and BC 4.0 together.  One of the major improvements (to me) of the BC 4 over the BC 3 is the placement of the smd resistor footprints.  Much better not being connected to the main pads of the accent leds than where they were on the BC v3.  My solder joints looked not so good because I had to both bridge the pads with a piece of a resistor and solder wires to them (I very quickly after ordered some 0402 0 ohm resistors to eliminate that issue should it ever arise again).  

Jumping right into the wiring, I feel this was my neatest wiring job to date.  It may not have looked as neat at the very end when I had to route all of the wires though various gaps in the blaster, but as a whole, it was my neatest job.  The only thing I didn't really like about it was the accent pad solder joints for the reasons I already mentioned.  

and end of wiring day #1:

An example of a section of wire ready to be routed in the blaster:

The wires just for the barrel leds (progression as well as main/aux flash):

Clearly I used a satellite board for color changing ray progression (as you probably noticed earlier).  that pretty well made the install take 50% longer, but I just love that effect.  

Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7r9cl30sjI

This may or may not be coming up for sale.  I promised Clark Kent first dibs on this blaster, so if he doesn't take it, i might list it in the TF. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:37:38 PM by Alex Gordon »

Offline Mersenne

• Master Force User
Re: Nerf Blaster with BC 3.1 Build log
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:50:39 PM »
Nice Alex
I'll make sure I don't show this thread to my son, otherwise he'll be pulling his Nerfs apart to install BCs in all them. :D
it's all Elemental

Offline Master Valon

• Master Force User
  • "Love can ignite the stars."- Matthew Stover
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 04:11:32 PM »
Well....THAT was friggin' sweet! Now you've gone and made me want a blaster, too! :D
Though this is the end of the age of heroes, it has saved its best for last.

Offline C-3P0

• Formerly known as Dave316
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 04:24:06 PM »
Well....THAT was friggin' sweet! Now you've gone and made me want a blaster, too! :D

Agreed. Very awesome build! I love the LEDs on the bargraph. Looks great man :)

Offline daddy solo

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 05:43:44 PM »
nicely done! I have to admit that I'm impressed w/ how much your skillset has increased  :)

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 09:44:14 PM »
Yes a very professional and clean looking wiring job. Looks great!

BTW if I may ask, how did you go about securing some of the internals like the battery pack and the soundboard? I'm working on a similar project right now.  :D

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline RedArc

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 01:47:40 AM »
Welcome in the club of blastercoresmiths  ;)

You did an great job 8)

Congrats !

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 05:04:30 AM »
Thanks redarc!  I thought i would have earned that with the e-11 i did though.   :D

everyone else, thanks for the kind words. 

Offline RedArc

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 11:27:35 AM »
Thanks redarc!  I thought i would have earned that with the e-11 i did though.   :D

everyone else, thanks for the kind words. 

Ups sry ^^ , looks like i missed something  :-\

will be caught up shortly  ;)

retrousse