I've been on TCSS forums for a few years and only recently started up here. I posted this on TCSS already, but why not double post here too!
. I managed to snag one of the last CF's when Erv was clearing out for the 6's. It's been a while since I built any new sabers, but for this one I wanted to push myself on the build. It's the only way to get better right? I succeeded and failed, learned a lot and really did push myself. All MHS parts.
LEDengin RGGB GG is in parallel and the R is FOC for yellow
Since I've read the tutorial's on wiring the difficult LEDengin so many times I knew what I was in for. It isn't that bad if you're prepared. Just do exactly what VV says and you're good.
10 segment LED bargraph.
The only 7 segment one I found was Red. I didn't think it would fit with the green blade, so I used the power on indicator as an extra spot as well as the pad that could be used for a vibrating motor. So 9 out of 10 ain't bad. Interesting bit; I didn't use a resistor on the motor pad which is 3.6 fV and 18ma and the bargraph is rated at something like
2.6 fV but 20 something ma. I figured that it's usually current that burns things out so it'd be ok, maybe brighter. Once it was wired up, the LED was actually yellow from the extra voltage. I decided to leave it like this in the #1 spot. If it burns out, oh well.
I did use SMD 0402 resistors for this. As soon as I saw that in the manual I knew I had to try it and push myself. I'm glad to say it wasn't that bad and it worked first try!
I wanted to try a crystal chamber in the choke, but decided to go with 18650 batteries. They took up too much room and I already had the parts sitting on my counter. Hard to wait for a silly crystal when everything else is staring you in the face.
Reverse sound. There's no sound holes at all and this thing is still friggin loud. Recharge in the pommel.
I also was aiming for a brand new shiny look, but the cutting wheel jumped and took away that notion. So I just rolled with it, started with some very coarse sanding wheels that came with my dremel, worked up to whatever grit was the finest, wasn't even 200 I think. It gave the aluminium a nice speckled look. I went over that with super fine steel wool. So it retained that look, but felt super smooth.
Black spray paint, baked on. 3 coats.
Stole graflex pins from a MR luke
Still might get a glass eye for the bottom of the blade holder area, the underside of the saber is kinda plain right now.
I also made a video, it's made mostly for my friends that don't know about saber building so forgive me if it seems odd.http://youtu.be/9P8bfJz5vLc