fiduciary
Welcome. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Incadescent Light Bulbs being Discontinued  (Read 6118 times)

Offline djobitwan7

• Master Force User
    • Awards
Incadescent Light Bulbs being Discontinued
« on: November 29, 2010, 11:06:02 PM »
Since the saber world here uses LED's for our weapon(s) of choice, I wanted to get some opinions/perspective on our government (USA, not sure about the rest of the world), mandating that incandescent light bulbs will start to be discontinued starting in 2012.

I have slowly been switching to LED type bulbs (with some success) and even though I like the longevity of LED's (50,000 hours), they still don't give accurate light saturation like our incandescent bulbs do. Not to mention that I only found one place that makes worthwhile downlight dimmable LED's. They also come in 2 flavors: Warm White (2800 k) and Cool White (6000 k). The lumens will depend on type of bulb and such, but it seems to me that if you need a 65-watt version, you want the LED's next size up to get what you need.

The place is: www.earthled.com  Like I said, they have good stuff, but these LED's are extremely expensive. $40 - $60  just for a regular 60-watt type equivalent. The downlights are  $100 for each bulb (YIKES!)

Now I saw something from Philips. The winner and now leader of some L prize thing that our government made for lighting 2 or 3 years ago, possibly more. Anyways, they supposedly made a 12-watt (60-watt equivalent) LED that gives 808 lumens and gives the warm white that we all love and know, plus it is supposed to saturate light just like our incandescent bulbs and also dimm. These are only being sold at Home Depot for $54.97.

So even though, I do like the LED's, it's biggest problem is price. Now the government says that by 2012 incandescent bulbs will be discontinued. They say it's to save money in the long run and I do believe it can do this, I just think that with replacement bulbs coming very soon now and nobody seemed to know about this either......is the prices going to be reasonable before the deadline? No one can afford to buy lightbulbs at $40, much less the average of $60 for their entire household.

I find it both disturbing that people are not aware and that even though I know CFL's can be purchased for less money and have the same energy savings as LED's do, but there are many reason why I will not buy them.

1.  They break easily - LED can be dropped and still work.
2. CFL's do not work well in cold temperatures. This is not too much of a big deal, but here in Michigan.....I like that LED's are instant on at almost any temperature.
3. CFL's if broken, has to be disposed of a certain way, so as not to contaminate our planet Earth. It has Mercury ( not a lot, but enough to be dangerous from what I hear). LED can be recycled.
4. CFL's only last twice as long 2,000 on average and none I have tried are dimmable. Some LED's last for 100,000 hours, but 50,000 is average. Not all are dimmable, but I have seen more dimmable as of late.
5. CFL's are cheap now and that is the only advantage they seem to have over LED's at the moment.

I mostly just wanted to know what anyone thinks or can add to this. Sorry for going on for so long, but thought this was in our territory and let people be more aware that you will have to replace your regular bulbs one way or the other soon.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
    • Awards
Re: Incadescent Light Bulbs being Discontinued
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 11:24:34 PM »
Can you give us a side by side comparison with flash and without?  Also in a dark room and a lit room?   :D :D

Seriously though.  Our aircraft are now being fit with all LEDs from landing lights to strobes and nav lights.  I flew the first one last month and was very impressed.  The light is very different but once you're used to it, it's no big deal.  For us it's a no brainer.  Standard lights go to extreme altitudes and temps, usually 45K ft and -50 c.  We then come down and shock cool them and bang them on a runway when they are still cold.  Blown bulbs mean the aircraft is grounded.  Less grounding means more money.

As for home use.  I'm not too sure I'm crazy about the lighting.  It seems a bit bright to me.  A bit hard on the eyes.  But they are improving and will start to get better lights that have a warmer feel to them.  I'm curious about how hot they will get when used in a standard IC can.  My entire downstairs is cans and I'm afraid of the heat.  Maybe Tim can help us out with a new heatsink.  :D

I'm sure there will be some cost offset initially maybe via a tax right off or rebate.  Once you have your bulbs you should be set for years.  People will have plenty of notice and will be able to stock up on the old style bulbs.  Nows a good time to stock up.  Just think of the prices they will go for on ebay.  Plus you'll probably see some sort of contraband or loophole that will allow them in via other countries.  Lots of things can happen in the next 2 years.

Offline djobitwan7

• Master Force User
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 05:37:20 AM »
Oddly enough Luke, I have cans in my house and I bought 2 of the down light (flood) styles from EarthLED. 1 was the equivalent of 65-75 watts (Par 30). These are also dimmable. The 2nd one is the Par38 and this is also dimmable. This is the one that I like better, but it's equivalent is 100-120 watts. I will get pics of this when time allows. My work has demanded overtime and I'm curently working 12 hours, so my time is best to sleep and watch my daughter.

I have also tried their Evolux. Now this bulb I like. I use it for the garage (inside & out) It actually shines just as bright as my old incandescent (100 watt) and somehow looks better, for I like the Cool White option better than the Warm White for outside.

Last that I have tried is their Zetalux. This bulb uses only 7 watts, but is the 60 watt equivalent. This is not dimmable, but it still does a decent job. The  Par30 & Par38 I have had for 2 years and so far, not a problem or even a slight flicker. Over the weekend, I shall take pics of all the LED's mentioned. Not sure how the dark shots, for I have no windows in a few places like my bathrooms.

You are correct Luke in that it does take a little to get used to. My next project is to get 3 of the Philips EnduraLED 12 watt one. They say this bulb acts like it's predecessor, but I am worried if I put these bulbs in a non dimmable socket,does this possibly shorten the lifespan of the LED? I know the reverse is true, but I even e-mailed the company a week ago and so far have no real answers coming to me yet.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 09:57:11 AM »
Just kidding on the pics.  :D  That's an old forum joke here.  Everyone always used to ask for comparison pics of sabers and they would always come with flash, no flash, bright room, dark room.  ;D

Interesting on the cans.  Once I get my major house addition done I'll have to look for them.  My first order of business is to find some of those sonic mouse devices you plug in.  We have a couple in our vaulted ceiling that drive us crazy at night scratching the insulation.

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• SITH/EMPIRE Apprentice MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Count formerly known as Sollus Vir
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 10:34:01 AM »
Here is my stance..

The ONLY reason the government is discontinuing these bulbs is because they are said to be not as "energy effecient". Because of all this global warming propoganda that has been allowed into our society, the government thinks it is ok to tell BUSINESSES what they can and cannot produce. Sure, these bulbs don't use as much energy, but they ARE NOT AS BRIGHT AS INCANDESENTS. I don't care what the package says, We have the LED types, the curly fry types, and incandesents. The 100W Incandesent is the brightest to the eye out of all of them. Oh, and did I mention CFL's have mercury in them and don't "go out" they get dimmer and dimmer... then kinda just die.

I would also argue the LED type DONT last longer than incadesents. We bought 3 brand new $60 LED bulbs... One month LAter... dead. These bulbs had a lifetime Warranty!! The incandesent in the the kitchen... we replace 1-2 time a year.

Thomas Edison created a brilliant invention, that still works great today and is the cheapest out there. I hope that someone out there will still produce incandescents, or the government will step back from its enroachment of our constitution.
~Twice the pride, double the fall. ~

My log is closed, but my builds continue:
CalvaryCustomSabers.com

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 10:40:15 AM »
When I bought my new house a few years ago, we put in all LED lights. 

I run a hotel in New Orleans and we've been using LED lights since 2006, no more incandescent bulbs.

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline djobitwan7

• Master Force User
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 10:35:13 PM »
Weird Sollus. I had my LED's for 2 years now and no problems. It may depend on how they are manufactured and what-not, but I can't say since I'm still experimenting with them. As for the 100 watt. The incandescent light reaches farther than my 100 watt equivalent, but the LED (since I am in the boonies) shines brighter and acts like my beacon.

Also found something called ESL made by VU1. These are supposedly indistinguishable from the incandescent and are fully dimmable as well. The demo seemed impressive, but they say a lot of bad things about LED that I didn't like (I'm not just talking about the price either). They say LED's do not dimm well. I say the LED's I have don't dimm smoothly like the incandescent, but they do dimm decently. Nothing that annoys me anyways.

They just seem to say what is bad about any other alternative, when they themselves may be potentially dangerous. They use phospher (much like old CRT TV's) in their bulbs and it is glass to, so it can break. LED's can be dropped and it still works.

I also found out it's the old inefficient incandescent bulbs that the government is phasing out. The newer incandescent bulbs can stay and they are exactly the same, just improved slightly.  I've never seen these "new" bulbs, but we may be buying them already.

I like the conversation so far though. I'll check in when I can.

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• SITH/EMPIRE Apprentice MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Count formerly known as Sollus Vir
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 08:33:39 AM »
Weird Sollus. I had my LED's for 2 years now and no problems. It may depend on how they are manufactured and what-not, but I can't say since I'm still experimenting with them. As for the 100 watt. The incandescent light reaches farther than my 100 watt equivalent, but the LED (since I am in the boonies) shines brighter and acts like my beacon.

I also found out it's the old inefficient incandescent bulbs that the government is phasing out. The newer incandescent bulbs can stay and they are exactly the same, just improved slightly.  I've never seen these "new" bulbs, but we may be buying them already.

I must have just gotten a bad batch then, but that is one expensive bad batch you know?  :o

I hadn't heard that. Where did you read that info? I would be interested in seeing what qualifies as an "efficient" Incandescent.
~Twice the pride, double the fall. ~

My log is closed, but my builds continue:
CalvaryCustomSabers.com

Offline Saarai

• Master WordSmith
  • Force User
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 08:47:57 AM »
Are these what you're talking about? http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/9ceb/ I was debating on getting them for the overhead bedroom light if they last long, 100 bucks is alot to spend though... Of couse I wish I could talk my wife into this http://www.thinkgeek.com/geek-kids/7-13-years/d809/ lol but I just get the rolled eyes.
BlackBerry Pin: 32A584D4

Character and integrity are what you do when no one is around or looking.
Bowties are cool.
From now on I'll be green, I'll be all the shades of green, they'll call me El Verde and tell my tale in Greenland.
Yoda: "To the hand you must talk." ROP5

Offline djobitwan7

• Master Force User
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 10:26:13 PM »
Sorry Saarai, the LED you showed is not the ones I bought. Similar though. www.EarthLED.com is the place I buy them from. The recessed cans I bought were under the Lumiselects area. The rest are static. All have 50,000 hours of life except the Zetalux2, which are 25,000.

They are very pricey though, but I like them. I'm buying 3 of the new Philips ones to see how they compare. I will share pics this wekend though, just to show ya guys. First with the incandescent, then all the ones after them.

Offline Saarai

• Master WordSmith
  • Force User
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 06:20:20 AM »
yeah same company just a different style, I just like going through thinkgeek cause i'm saving geek points up for a tauntaun sleeping bag, halfway there. I can't wait for your picks and review because I have been seriously considering this as a possiblity come tax return season. How many are you planing on getting?
BlackBerry Pin: 32A584D4

Character and integrity are what you do when no one is around or looking.
Bowties are cool.
From now on I'll be green, I'll be all the shades of green, they'll call me El Verde and tell my tale in Greenland.
Yoda: "To the hand you must talk." ROP5

Offline Rhyen Skytracker

• Master Force User
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 07:35:09 AM »
I am an energy analyst for the 3rd largest college in the state of Georgia and we no longer have ANY incandancent bulbs anywhere in the whole college.  One of the biggest technologies that is taking off is induction lighting.  We use them in our parking decks, pole lights and wall packs and they have a 10 year warranty and are not that much more expensive than normal metal halide fixtures, plus they have retro fit kits too.  They use half of the wattage and you don't have to wait for them to warm up to come up to full brightness like you do with metal halides.  We also use LED lamps in some areas where we use can lighting.  I have met with around 7 vendors and have found out that the biggest problem is with the heat sinking.  I  have had some that get super hot and some that get barely warm.  The best ones I have found are from Array Lighting.  http://www.arraylighting.com/  They are a little more expensive but they use high power LEDs and their heatsinking is awesome.  Having a LED lamp get warm not only affects the lighting, it also increases the heat load of the building and will put more load on your HVAC system.  Phillips has a new fluorescent lamp out that is only 25 W and last 42,000 hours compared to the common 32 W 36,000 lamps that we used to use.  The price is a little more than double the cost for a 32 W 36,000 lamp but you get around the same amount of lighting to the eye and you decrease your HVAC load, plus you get longer life out of them.  Feel free to contact me at tony.henry@gpc.edu if you would like any more information.  Our College is 2nd in all of the state of Georgias facilities as far as energy conservation and we are only 2nd because we don't co-generate power.

Offline djobitwan7

• Master Force User
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 08:43:01 AM »
Awesome Rhyen. Non of my LED's get hot that I know of. They get warm, but not so I cannot touch them. I'm posting a few pics, so you guys can see what I have in my house. It's my first attempt at taking some pics and needless to say, a lot were blurry, but I whittled them down to the clear ones. Enjoy:

The entire line link (I think): http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k566/djobitwan7/

1. http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k566/djobitwan7/DSC01259.jpg

2. http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k566/djobitwan7/DSC01260.jpg

3. http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k566/djobitwan7/DSC01263.jpg

4. http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k566/djobitwan7/DSC01268.jpg

5. http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k566/djobitwan7/DSC01269.jpg

6. http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k566/djobitwan7/DSC01274.jpg

7. http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k566/djobitwan7/DSC01281.jpg

Hey Rhyen, they don't seem to list a price for the PAR38. Do you know off-hand?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:29:06 AM by djobitwan7 »

Offline djobitwan7

• Master Force User
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 08:32:52 PM »
OK this has been awhile, but I bought some of the Philips 12 watt,60-watt version. They are fantastic. Energy Star rated and come very, very close to what a 60 watt incandescent does. It's fully dimmable. Still not as smooth, but very close. They now have a 75-watt version that came out October 7th, 2011. I am very impressed with Philips at the moment. Even the 60 watt price went down to $24 compared to $39.99. I will post pics when the 75 watt version arrive. All I need now is 100 watt version and I'm all set. Peace out guys.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 06:04:13 AM »
Our led Christmas lights are still rocking. Can't wait to get them up this year.

FX-Sabers and the FX-Sabers logo are registered trademarks of FX-Sabers.com. Not associated with LUCASFILM LTD. or any LFL Ltd. Film or Franchise.
SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines  | Enterprise Theme © Bloc
Sitemap | WAP2

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 45 queries.