fiduciary

Author Topic: "Demonica" custom saber  (Read 6131 times)

Offline Arc Angel

• Force User
  • AKA Crystal Chambers on TCSS
"Demonica" custom saber
« on: June 15, 2010, 04:07:02 PM »
Hi everyone!...told you it wouldn't be long. As I've mentioned, Mantis is my first saber finished but actually the 4th saber. This one I'm posting now is the second one I started. It belongs to my girlfriend and I designed it with her. She's been so great with tolerating my saber silliness and gives me a lot of help with tools, like where she keeps them and how to set them up..lol. Actually we make a great team.

With out further ado....(clickable)

I can't believe how clean I wired this one, and how tight everything is packed below the custom ribbed section. I thought it was going to get damaged but actually it sounds and runs amazingly. the exposed wire is no longer then the solder pads and the solder is 90% perfect to my knowledge. The clash sensor is wicked responsive so you can flick your wrist rapidly and it goes off like a machine gun. On low volume setting it is still louder then Mantis. It is REALLY loud. I can't see myself doing anything but "reverse sound" and this one had 8 wires to get past the speaker. If I can't reverse it it ain't worth doing.

Now that we have two sabers finished with sound it was an awesome weekend of dueling! ;D

MODS...I'm not sure if I made these two posts in the best area of the forum. If not please move them. One of the many things about fx sabers that will take some getting used to.

Offline Amptrooper

• Master Force User
  • Imperial Royal Arms SaberSmith AmpTrooper Sabers
    • Imperial Royal Arms
Re: "Demonica" custom saber
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 05:06:17 PM »
That is sweet! I like the claws with that blade holder! Very nice!

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 05:13:04 PM »
Nice overlay and weathering job, you should post the other '2' sabers you have done as well, and I see you got them to be clicky as well :)

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline Rhyen Skytracker

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
Like I said at TCSS, that is one AWESOME saber.  I love everything about it.  Awesome presentation too.  Great job (Again) 

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
 :o :o

wow nice job on the saber!!Is this your first time at wiring anything? :-\

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 06:20:22 PM »
Again that is a great saber.  I am very impressed with your work.

Offline Sunrider

• Unlimited Brightness!!! RRROOAARRR!!!
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 07:09:35 PM »
  With patience I foresee you will become a great saber smith. 

Offline Jedi Calaeryn

• No Force
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 07:30:21 PM »
Very nice work and another great looking saber!

I clearly need to get into electronics to keep up with you.      ;)   

You could do some amazing stuff if you had a lathe.

Offline Arc Angel

• Force User
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 05:56:11 AM »
Thx! I'm glad you all like it.

I wish I knew who all the other TCSS people are here. I recognize a few names and see some AKAs.

Ben - This is the 3rd sound board I've done. My first saber has a US 2.5 and the MR Mace in Mantis. I've also done a few as stunts with recharge ports till I figure out what to do for boards or not. Aside from that I've rewired a guitar and repaired some speakers but that's it. I didn't even know what heatshrink was till I started all this 7-8 months ago.

I haven't used any actual metal machining tools but I've been eyeing some.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 06:07:21 AM »
This is one beautiful saber.  If you didn't use any machines, how were the claws done?  Did you have them made?  They are an awesome design :D.

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Arc Angel

• Force User
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 06:57:07 AM »
The forks more specifically were made from a long rectangular piece of aluminum my gf had kicking around. It was the perfect thickness to make claws. We drew a design that would fit on the size of the stock and BH. After making one sample test claw,we traced it on a new piece and drilled holes to hold three pieces of stock together with bolts. The three pieces in one were then chopped on a miter saw, grinded on a wheel, dremeled and filed. Oh yeah and other holes drilled. No actual metal machining tools at all. Just a well equipt woodshop.

For paint we tried all types of red paint to find the right tone and finish. The paint we used in the end is an anodized looking spraypaint that has translucent pigment. After putting 2 coats on we baked it at 300F for 30 mins. It almost had this Ironman look that ironically looked heroic so we gave it a light sanding with steel wool. It is an automotive paint that can be used with a metallic primer by the same brand. This might be an ideal way to make PVC look like metal!

Offline Obi Wanabe Skel

• Padawan Learner
  • You can just call me Skel
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 07:31:03 AM »
Yet another great build and all this in an 8 month period? That is just awesome. You and your gf are very tellanted and creative people. Keep the pics coming for your other creations as I'm keen to see what else you have done and what is yet to come.  :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 07:38:51 AM by Obi Wanabe Skel »

"My ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere." - Master Yoda

Offline Darth Inferis

• Master Force User
  • UK sabersmith
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 08:05:17 AM »
Very nice indeed! Again I'm in awe of your shroud work. The custom forks really set the saber off & work perfectly with the emitter style.
Beware the Mark of the Gungan! :o

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 03:04:30 PM »
The forks more specifically were made from a long rectangular piece of aluminum my gf had kicking around. It was the perfect thickness to make claws. We drew a design that would fit on the size of the stock and BH. After making one sample test claw,we traced it on a new piece and drilled holes to hold three pieces of stock together with bolts. The three pieces in one were then chopped on a liter saw, grinded on a wheel, dremeled and filed. Oh yeah and other holes drilled. No actual metal machining tools at all. Just a well equipt woodshop.

Very resourceful.  Excellent use of the machines you did have access to!  Having "metal machines" is very nice, but a lot of folks do spectacular things with just a dremel and a drill as you demonstrated with this saber.   I really dig your "Weathered Paint" on this and the Mantis.  It sort of reminds me of those new costumes in the TOR trailer ;D.  I definitely look forward to seeing more of your work 8). 

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Jin Ke

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 03:13:33 PM »
Great design....  I like it alot...   ;D

retrousse