fiduciary

Author Topic: Obi Project--OV1 !!PIC HEAVY--updated pg 2!!  (Read 7241 times)

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
Obi Project--OV1 !!PIC HEAVY--updated pg 2!!
« on: August 29, 2009, 11:49:28 AM »
This is something that I've been working on for a while, and I still haven't come up with a good name for it.  I initially started plans for this back in early '08, and finally it's nearing completion.

Figured it was high time to share.  I wanted to give a big thanks to Master Jedye and Chewbacca for their helpful insights into this project, as I found myself coming to them more than once with questions.  This will be running off of:
2 CR123 3.0v batteries
MR Yoda board
8ohm 3/4" speaker
2 UV led's and 1 blue

I started with this:

I am not positive on who made this, but it is one of my favorites of all time.  So much so in fact that I've had 4 of this certain saber.  They each had a number stamped onto various parts of them.  This one here had a 4 stamped on the bottom of the emitter.  The other one I'm about to start converting is numbered 10, and I've also had 5 and 11.  I don't know who out there stamped their sabers, but if anybody has a clue I'd love to know who to praise for the awesomeness of the saber.  I also have a qui-gon stamped with a 3 and another with a 5, and had a Maul stamped with a 5, but that never helped me in identifying the maker.  ANYWAYS, moving on...

The black grip section had a solid aluminum core firmly wedged within, so that had to go first and foremost.  A small hole here and a good whack to the end of a metal rod and boom

After that came out, it was time for dremmeling the opening.  Made my measurements and markings, taped areas off, and went to work

Yay that went fairly well, and I was able to keep the removed section fairly intact, maybe it'll be a hatch!  Next, I needed a hole drilled through the pommel section to house the battery compartment.  This was one of those 3 piece designs, so things were lined up and holes were drilled and threads cutoff.

Yay, that went smooth and well.  NOT  :-X  Ah well, little extra filing and the battery holder fit!  Cemented the pommel to the inner core and drilled a set screw hole opposite side of the covertec hole.  Now the pommel stays in place via the set screw.  yay

Ok, so now that the power supply has been taken care of, I've managed to free up nearly the entire grip section to house whatever I want.  One thing that always got to me about some of the negotiators was the lack of depth in the grip section.  I like how the grips have a nice depth to them before hitting the inner aluminum core, and wanted to keep the look that way.  Sure I could have sacrificed grip depth for more interior room, but definitely did not want that.  So I set to work, and after a faaaaaaaar deviation from the original plans, wound up with this

I still have to clean off some of the cement residue from the amethysts, but otherwise I like the result.  Since I went with this hair-brained idea, the soundboard is going to have to fit in the small neck section of the saber, making this now a mainly display/very light dueling saber.  That left only 1 choice for soundboard:  MR Yoda.  So, after Qui-Gon came to my rescue with one to trade, I set about working on  the emitter.  I wanted the bezels to light up with the LED color, and the brass knob to light up purple (UV).  I used some hot glue and set a 6mm round amethyst in the center of the brass knob and wired a 5mm uv led to shine through it, keeping the red knob for saber activation.  After alot of planning and re-planning and drilling/cutting, I got everything to work right

There's still work to be done.  If my stupid speaker ever arrives I can finally wire everything up and put it together, as my current configuration requires the speaker to be in place first for the soundboard to rest in it's holder directly above it.  Then I need to cement 3 either light blue or sky blue 5mm round topaz's into each of the bezels (haven't decided which I like more), and decide whether I want to go with a hatch covering the chamber or just let the outer shroud do it.  It has a cool factor if I put it on, but for show it'd be easier to just remove the ct wheel and swivel the pommel/grip section around to show off the chambers rather than THEN having to open a hatch.  Meh, we'll see. 

I went a little pic happy, and seeing as I already stuffed this post full of pics, if anyone wants to see mroe of the WIP you can visit:
http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j45/norbits/Obi%20Project/

With any luck this one will be finished by next weekend, and I should have some glam shots of it's brother in the works.  Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:25:19 PM by Gil Gamesh »
Support our Font Makers!

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
Re: Obi Project--Unnamed v1 !!PIC HEAVY!!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 11:55:39 AM »
This turned out so much better than I coulda pictured! The crystal set-up is fantastic! You are quite ingenious!

Can't wait to see it completed!

Offline Amptrooper

• Master Force User
  • Imperial Royal Arms SaberSmith AmpTrooper Sabers
    • Imperial Royal Arms
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 12:01:22 PM »
Very nice idea for the crystal chamber! That is going to look awesome! Will be keeping my eyes out for the final pictures!
Great job!

Offline wookieecrisp

• Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee Win!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 12:03:20 PM »
:o :o :o That crystal chamber looks awesome! Great job cutting everything out too!

Offline rotsman09

• Master Force User
  • "A man chooses, a slave obeys. I chose.. Rapture"
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 12:23:38 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o Wowowowowowoow. Just WOW. The UV led looks amazing and I cant wait until I see this finished! AMazing work my friend!
This is where the fun begins!

Proud owner of an AMAZING MR v2 stunt LDM/Caine
-Starkillers coming soon...in summer.. Too much work...

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 12:27:24 PM »
Looks like that Yoda FX board went to a really good home!  I look forward to seeing the finished product!

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 12:37:26 PM »
Excellent job so far!  Lookin' forward to seeing it done.

Yeah I'm curious who made these hilts myself.

Offline Avvatar

• Boots Buttered Toast to AWESOME
  • Experienced Force User
  • Making CF boot's like a mad man...
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 08:03:44 AM »
WOW!! Gil That hilt is coming out awesome!!! I want to do something like this down the line too and your WIP pic link is a nice addition! I scored 2 Acerocket endcaps on the last run but they are MHS style.

Excellent job so far!  Lookin' forward to seeing it done.

Yeah I'm curious who made these hilts myself.

If you do find out who made em, let us know...

Grats again dude!

Offline Vosk

• formerly known as BigT1981
  • Master Force User
  • I do not forgive, or forget...master.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 08:21:59 AM »
Very nice Gil.  I think in terms of who made it, it looks like to me like one of the Larbel sabers.  I had one a long time ago and it had the LED stubs (with out the LED lenses) around the emitter like yours has.

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 08:25:45 AM »
I have to agree with Vosk, that looks like a Larbel

Especially the close up of the pommel

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline Vosk

• formerly known as BigT1981
  • Master Force User
  • I do not forgive, or forget...master.
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 08:46:43 AM »
Indeed Jango...after looking further at the pics it's definitely a Larbel.  Mine came apart exactly as Gil's did.  I had it before I moved from Vegas and sold it before I moved.  I wish I hadn't done that now considering they're one of the easiest sabers to convert. *sigh*

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 09:02:31 AM »
Great work, Gil! That crystal chamber is super cool! 8)
Can't wait to see the finished product!

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 09:37:26 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys!   ;D

I always wondered if this type of saber was a Larbel.  I just never heard of him stamping any part of the saber other than the backside of the ct wheel.  Regardless, thanks! 
Support our Font Makers!

Offline The Rebel

• Formerly known as Kyuubi
  • Master Force User
  • Rebel by nature, comedian by choice.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 10:06:11 AM »
That's pretty awesome. I've always been a fan of Obi's TPM/AotC hilt, and the crystal chamber looks freakin sweet!

Offline DARTH MAUL

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • At last we shall have our revenge....
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 11:45:20 AM »
Thats some real nice work there, Gil. Love it! That crystal chamber is really cool and a good intuition on how to do the pommel/battery.

I still haven't been able to come up with a Larbel-O yet and makes me want to hunt one down hehe, but I suppose I have enough of others to keep my appetitte for now. I recognized it right off as well taken apart with the solid core. Its the prop version he made as the EL Ready one is hollow. So few have made the Obi-wan hilt to this point its not to hard to pick who's who.

DG

retrousse