fiduciary

Author Topic: The Disciple (by Do-Clo)  (Read 11579 times)

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
The Disciple (by Do-Clo)
« on: August 17, 2009, 09:44:20 PM »
I introduce...
The Disciple

Saber Designed & Constructed by Do-Clo

THE STORY
So I'm browsing the Forums like I usually do and Amptrooper starts a thread saying that he's looking for an RGB LED saber. Wookiecrisp gives him a link to eBay, so I decide to check it out. I immediately fell in love. "It has to be mine!"
What attracted me to it?
First, the fact that it had an uncanny resemblance to Revan's saber.
Second, it had a rotary switch that enabled the wielder to change colors: a whopping 7 colors, mind you. :o
Third, it was made by Do-Clo. Ever since I had seen Orakaa's Do-Clo saber, I wanted one.

The bidding war began in the final hour. I saw "0x 59y" and nervously hit the refresh button. Nothing. Was my computer slow? What was happening? Refresh again. Still nothing. Now I was panicking. I did NOT want this one to get away. So I placed my bid...
And then I saw what had happened.
eBay had changed it's format since I last used it. Rather than "0x 59y" being "0 min 59 sec," it was now "0 hrs 59 min." >:( Needless to say, it was a very long hour that resulted in a $100 price increase :( ...but I still won. ;D

THE NAME
I call this saber "The Disciple" because I envision this saber as what the Jedi Exile would have wielded--for three reasons:
First, because of the abovementioned uncanny resemblance to Revan's saber.
Second, it's smooth design and tapered overlay make it more suitable for a female's grip.
Third, it comes with 7 colors so it can easily match any Jedi robes. :D
(I've accordingly nicknamed it the "Rainbow Sword" and say that the Exile found the infamous "Prism Shard." ;D *cough, cough* Chrono Trigger, anyone? ;D)

But seriously, in the entire Star Wars Universe, the Jedi Exile has to be one of my favorite characters. The fact that she also defied the Jedi Council to follow Revan says a lot about her personal character. The fact that she may have had a relationship with Atton Rand (an option I prefer to entertain) made her all the more likable in my book. ;)

THE HILT
Do-Clo outdid himself with this one: a Tri-Rebel wired to a rotary switch and an in-pommel recharge port.
From the side, you can see the saber's delicately cut overlay, the rotary switch, and the Covertech.

From the bottom, you can see just how beautifully cut that overlay really is.

~ Grips ~
The inner grooves of the upper grip seem to be hand-painted.

The lower grip is anodized black and fluted. This has to be one of my favorite details of this saber.
The first picture was taken with the flash, the second without.

~ Emitter ~
The ribbed part of the emitter was hand-painted gold.

On the underside of the saber, vertically aligned with the Covertech, is the blade retention screw.

This saber has a 1" blade socket, but is a little tight to perfectly fit an UltraSabers blade. :(

On the inside of the emitter is the gem that makes this saber so beautiful: a Tri-Rebel.

~ Pommel ~
The pommel is beautifully designed and is equipped with a recharge port. The sound holes are aesthetically pleasing as well!

THE BLADE
I used a 36" UltraSabers mid-grade blade, but it was a bit too thick to fit comfortably in the blade socket. After I get a new blade, I'll sand it down and take new pics. When turning the rotary switch, the colors are (in order): a silvery pink, cyan, yellow, green, purple, blue, and red.
Pictures were taken first with the flash, then without.

Silvery Pink (R+G+B)
Pictures don't do this color justice, as it's more silvery-white than pink in person.

Cyan (B+G)
A beautiful color...like if you leave an Easter egg in blue dye for too long. It's similar to SRD, but with a more blue hue.

Yellow (R+G)
I know, it looks orange. But in person this is a true yellow...more so than a bin 2 amber.

Green (G)
This is a beautiful hue of green, like a higher bin Lux. This is the exact color I'd want my Qui-Gon saber to be.

Purple (R+B)
Due to the deep, rich hues of the red and blue (see below), you have a nice, even purple color.

Blue (B)
This is a very deep blue, similar to what a royal blue Lux would give you. This would be the ideal color for my Obi-Wan ROTS saber.

Red (R)
A rich, deep, Sithy red color. If the Exile was going Sith, this color was all she needed.

CRITIQUES
Overall, this is a great saber. However, it has a few things missing.
1. blade :P
~ didn't come with one :'(
2. Allen wrenches
~ didn't come with those, either :'(
3. sound
~ Because it has a recharge port, I'm seriously considering installing a US or equivalent.
4. on/off switch
~ Right now, the battery is wired to the rotary switch, which means after turning on the saber, you have to cycle through ALL the colors before turning it off. Not cool on the battlefield, so I plan on installing my own on/off switch.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:35:58 AM by Jasher Kain »

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
Re: The Disciple
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 10:19:17 PM »
Wow.
Just...wow.

Jasher, I am so happy for you on getting this saber! Do-Clo is truly the definition of SaberSmith and this saber shows it! A BIG congrats to you for sure! Any plans for a vid?

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 10:24:20 PM »
Any plans for a vid?
As soon as I put sound in, yes. 8)
I'm also thinking of having a different switch installed for "on/off."
Right now everything is wired to the rotary, so after turning it on, you have to cycle through all the colors to turn it off.

Offline Darth Matth

• Master Force User
  • You think I'm mad? Guess what,... I'm Darth Matth!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 03:00:14 AM »
That already answered my question of, does it have sound.
I like this saber very much.
The pommel on the bottom looks great.
What board are you going to put in?
I hope you can fix this color off switch, cause that is not so good.
It would be finished when you have sound and can turn it on in any color you want it to Power-Up and OFF.

Good luck with that.

Maybe I'll buy the same saber by you, after you've redone it.  ;D

Signature teleports you to my lightsaber collection

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 12:50:23 AM »
I decided to redo the format. With Emperor leaving, I decided to take a look at those old MR reviews...especially Anakin Skywalker's. I've decided to make my reviews of my lightsabers--custom or not--in the same way.
Hopefully others will follow suit and we can have a more organized and informative site. ;)
I know video reviews are often easier, but I like to have my story down in words. 8)

Maybe I'll buy the same saber by you, after you've redone it.  ;D
Not a chance. ;D

Offline wookieecrisp

• Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee Win!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 06:50:11 AM »
:o :o Congrats on this sweet saber! The purple and yellow colors look so cool! And I am proud to be the one who gave you the eBay link to this saber. ;D

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 06:55:01 AM »
:o :o Congrats on this sweet saber! The purple and yellow colors look so cool! And I am proud to be the one who gave you the eBay link to this saber. ;D
Yes, indeed. Without your info, I never would have found it. Thanks again! ;) ;D

Offline Amptrooper

• Master Force User
  • Imperial Royal Arms SaberSmith AmpTrooper Sabers
    • Imperial Royal Arms
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 07:39:35 AM »
That is a really nice saber.  I still hope to get an RGB some day. I am happy that you won the bidding! It's good to keep these saber in the FX-Sabers family! Looks like it has a nice feel to it! Maybe I should have bid on it. ;D Oh, well. You snooze ya loose! :'( :D

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 12:42:34 PM »
That is a beautiful streamlined saber and those colours look great...I think I want a RGB tri-rebel saber too now!
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Mikkyo of the Sith

• Experienced Force User
  • Peace is a lie. . .
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 02:26:55 PM »
Fresh looking! I really like the emitter and neck.

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 05:23:44 PM »
That is a beautiful streamlined saber and those colours look great...I think I want a RGB tri-rebel saber too now!
I think it's really cool simply because of the literal rainbow of colors you have access to; a lightsaber for any mood. :D

Fresh looking! I really like the emitter and neck.
The emitter and neck are one of my favorite parts, too. As soon as I can get all of the other sabers off my workbench, I'm going to have an MHS compatible Revan made. ;D

Offline Gabywan

• Master Force User
  • Que nunca muera el niƱo que llevamos adentro...
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 03:10:18 PM »
Hi Jasher,

The luminosity of the blade is incredible.
and the design is very die and innovator ;)
Congrat my friend! :)

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 09:56:42 PM »
The luminosity of the blade is incredible.
and the design is very die and innovator ;)
Congrat my friend! :)
Thanks, Gaby! Yeah, I love the colors this saber puts out. It's so much more beautiful in person. :-*

Offline Darksaber 3

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 07:17:53 AM »
That is one nice saber. I have to ask, how bright is it? I hear that the optics for tri-rebels arent perfect, and I am curious as to how bright it is. say, compared to a lux 3 or p4?

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 08:50:39 AM »
That is one nice saber. I have to ask, how bright is it? I hear that the optics for tri-rebels arent perfect, and I am curious as to how bright it is. say, compared to a lux 3 or p4?
Compared to a Lux III or P4, it's not as bright...but the RGB hues are much deeper. The green is more like a bin 1 and the blue like a royal blue bin 5 or 6. That could be why it's not as bright. The combined colors, however, (e.g. yellow, purple, and cyan) are significantly brighter and are very even.

retrousse