fiduciary

Author Topic: Luke Skywalker ROTJ Force FX (2005) Review and Pics  (Read 16071 times)

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
Luke Skywalker ROTJ Force FX (2005) Review and Pics
« on: November 07, 2005, 06:06:13 PM »
MY STORY
Along with everyone else on the forums, when I found out that Master Replicas was to Re-release the Return of the Jedi Luke Force FX saber, I was thrilled.  Why was I thrilled?  I'm sure that you already know....the upgrade to an LED blade from the Electroluminescent of 2003.  I couldn't wait to see what it would look like.  I would watch my DVD of ROTJ just to see the Bright Green blade flash on the screen and wonder if the version that MR would make would look just as good.  Along with finding out that the saber was to be re-released, it was also to be a retailer exclusive to Borders Bookstores.  That got me thinking, I don't have a local Borders and the closest one was 40 miles away in New Orleans.  So I bide my time and wait, then we hear that Thesabervault.com will be getting a great many for sale and they have quite a deal on them $119.00 + free shipping.  I neglected to jump on that wagon and missed out, but along came Killertoys.com and also said they would be getting some.  So I went ahead and Pre-ordered with them.  And then Disaster struck months later....Hurricane season was upon the Southeastern United States and Katrina was bearing down on us.  Well, as you all know Katrina completely obliterated New Orleans and any hope that I might have of getting a Luke locally. (or so I thought)  So October rolls around and we find out that Killertoys got hit hard by Wilma and lost much of their inventory and cancelled many orders.  So I was out of luck...no Luke ROTJ LED for me.  Unless....hmmm.  I use the Borders store locater and get the number for the Borders in New Orleans.  I give them a call....and they are open!  Not only that but they have the Luke's in-stock.  I tell them to hold me one and the employee tells me that there is a Holiday coupon for 30% off any ONE item in store from November 3-6 and she said she would tape the coupon to the box.  So after work I hurry and gas up the Trans Am and head down to New Orleans.  Make it to Borders and go inside to pay for my saber.  Get to the register and with the 30% off coupon I only have to pay $83.99 + tax for the Luke!!!  Yes, I'm so glad I waited.  I was sure to bring some batteries with me and once I had the saber in the car I powered it up and checked it over to make sure everything was okay.  It was still daylight so I couldn't see the blade in all its glory....yet.  After I get home its quite dark.  I go back out to get my Luke FX out of the car and as I ignite it in the dark gloom of night I am taken aback by the intense Green Glow that is before me.  I actually had to turn away because this was the brightest saber I have every seen.  Wow....great job Master Replicas!

THE SABER OUT OF THE BOX
When I removed the saber from the box it was not anything new to me since I had gotten the orignal EL version in 2003, but the excitment was still there all the same.

The Battery Holder remained the same from the 2003 version as a 6-battery holder.  I am glad that they kept the 6'er because it adds to the weight of the saber and I'm afraid the saber wouldn't feel right with only 3 batteries.

Just like the Original ROTJ Luke this one had the Copyright information stamped on the Battery Endcap with the only difference being the year change for production.

The emitter remained the same size with the "fat neck" that many do not care for.  I don't mind it at all.  Someday I would like to see a thin necked version, but until that time this will definitely do.  After looking at the emitter closer I felt as if something about it was different, but more on that later

Many things stayed the same with this Luke. If it isn't broke, don't fix it right? well one thing I am glad they didn't change on this FX is the On/Off switch as seen here.  The small black rectangular piece remains to be the power switch for Green Goodness!  Also duplicated is the faux control box panel with screws.  Just another small detail that can't go unoticed.

The Speaker emitter remained the same, as well.  Though the sound itself, did not!

THE SABER IGNITED
In Low Room Light

In Complete Darkness

WORKING REVIEW
When I first ignited this saber, I was amazed by the blade.  Just the brightness alone seemed to fill all my senses.  Once I regained composure I was able to check it out completely.  While the Blade is indeed a Bright Green, it is not without the tell-tale LED tiny dark spots.  All LED blades tend to have these so it is nothing new to this saber.  The Sound is Amazing!  It is much more crisp and clear than I had hoped for.  Comparing it to the Original it is indeed much louder  The ignition sound is the Same as the original but the Idle hum is definitely different.  The Original Luke had a bit of a "stutter" in the idle hum loop and the New Luke does not have this.  The Clash sounds are the same, but as with many sabers all they did was change the pitch to make it sound different.  The motion sounds are more well calibrated on the LED version.  There is no overlapping as on previous models when the motion sounds are activated and it is not as sensitive.  The standard motion sounds are used, nothing special.  The deactivation remains the same as the Original Luke.  Handling the saber is a Dream!  I was in love with using my EL Luke for saber practice and this one is no different.  Due to the Simple hilt design and excellent placement of the on/off switch, it allows for uninhindered play.  I don't think any other FFX is easier to twirl in your hand than the ROTJ Luke's are.  That taken in mind and with the LED blade....you just don't want to put this saber down until all the Guards on Jabba's Sail Barge are dispatched with Jedi power!

THE COMPARISON
This is what you have been waiting for.  Though many think that the Sabers are alike other than the LED blade they would be mistaken.  With close scrutiny you can discern the differences between the two model years

First we will take a look at the obvious.  The Copyright dating stamp is of course different.  Changed from 2003 to 2005.

And the Blades are quite different.  EL on top and LED on bottom

Here are the not-so-noticeable differences.
First we have the difference in neck color.  The Copper color used on the EL (left-side) is much lighter than the LED's copper colored neck.

Next, there is the difference in the Emitter that I mentioned earlier.  Upon closer inspection I noticed that the EL sabers(bottom-right)  emitter fits snugly against the blade. While the LED version has been given some space between the metal of the emitter and the blade itself.

Lastly, the Black Accents on the EL (bottom) are of a more glossy sheen.  The LED version is a bit more of a Dull or Flat Black.

So, that is folks.  The same, yet different.  I am overjoyed that I was able to get this saber and I ignite it everyday.  If you get a chance to get one, this is the one to get brand new. You will not be dissapointed!

Coming in 2006 my full review of the Double-Bladed Darth Maul TPM FFX saber!....
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 06:14:51 PM by Anakin Skywalker »

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
  • They used to call me Sifo-Dyas
Re: Luke Skywalker ROTJ Force FX (2005) Review and Pics
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 06:45:46 PM »
Excellant review I also like the comparison between the two ROTJ and the indepth approach you took in giving you opinion about the saber, I have to say I am disappointed in the saber after getting a replacement three times yes three times, I will keep the saber for now but i hope to trade
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline Obi Karn Kenobi

• Formerly known as Obi Karn Kenobi
  • Force User
  • Hello there.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 06:54:17 PM »
Well done Anakin. I share your love of the led version. It's one of my favorites. I had always wondered what if any differences there were between the led and el version. Your review was most insightful.
" I have no desire to be the last of the Jedi."

Offline psykE

• Formerly known as psykE
  • Master Force User
  • Join the DARK side
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 08:59:16 PM »
Yet again bandit, you've done it great reveiw!
One question, which is your favorite FX Lightsaber?
Still the Luke TESB?
Fx Saber Collection:

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 09:01:23 PM »
Yes, still the Luke TESB!

No other saber will ever beat that one.

Offline psykE

• Master Force User
  • Join the DARK side
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 09:03:21 PM »
Heh, Indeed
I love that saber but for some reason I am kinda tempted to sell my Anakin or Trade my Anakin in order to get the Luke ROTJ.
Right now the Anakin seems like a mere 2 year old toy, like you said it's not even as realistic as the Luke TESB What do you think?
Fx Saber Collection:

Offline Gnosis

• Formerly known as Gnosis
  • Master Force User
  • The Bird King of La Mancha
    • This week in geek
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 09:04:54 PM »
The Luke is getting hard to come....so I'd recommend and then get a new Anakin later on
Anakins are almost always easy to find

"It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force... but by our skills with a lightsaber. "
Count Dooku

Sith Lord Adminstrator
countdooku@fx-sabers.com

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 09:12:34 PM »
Yup, there are a ton of Anakin ROTS and Vader TESB's out there, its ridiculous.  Get the exclusive now and later on if you want a replacement anakin, you could prolly get one for real cheap somewhere.

Offline psykE

• Master Force User
  • Join the DARK side
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 09:19:04 PM »
Well, anyways once again great reveiw.
And I also posted it in the Wanted Section.
Trading it and selling it post your offers!
(Enough topic jacking!)
Fx Saber Collection:

Offline The Abbot

• Master of the Jar'Kai Style
  • Master Force User
  • Lajedi.com ,Force-Fx.com Founder
    • http://www.Force-Fx.com
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 03:03:26 PM »
Great Review,as always!!
LaserBlade:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/laserblade/id608879483?mt=8

The poster formerly known as Kit Fisto. Creator of the Force-FX sig style. Master of the 2 saber staff style way before Pong Krell

Offline Mr.Griffin

• Master Force User
  • mmmmm... Star Wars
    • Family Guy Stuff
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 04:49:00 PM »
very nice!  I liked the pictures that compaired the two
{[][][][]--{}================

(((FORMALLY MR.GRIFFIN)))

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
  • They used to call me Sifo-Dyas
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 04:54:33 PM »
I agree great review I just wish the saber was made better
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline PLO KOON

• formerly known as s3an_looi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Find me on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 08:49:52 PM »
Nice review and GREAT pictures!

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2005, 01:07:54 PM »
Anakin's reviews are topnotch!!! Way to go...

Offline trexy

• General of the Old Republic
  • Master Force User
  • At last we will have revenge!
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2005, 01:19:10 PM »
All i can i say is:
PERFECT review Anakin,,,
like Hamill82 said they are TOPNOTCH,
Bigdog should add this one in the main page in the articles section ;)

retrousse