fiduciary

Author Topic: Awesome MHS Sith saber staff  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Merik

• Force User
Awesome MHS Sith saber staff
« on: October 20, 2014, 04:15:55 PM »
This saber is several important firsts for me. It was a great learning experience. I really like the way it came out. This was my first ever CF build, first time powder coating, first crystal chamber, first time working with a local machinist, first time doing shroud work, and first time pretending my family didn't exist for two weeks to make a deadline (that last one may not be as cool as the others  :-\) I wanted to go all out and see how over-the-top amazing I could make it. So, I give you the Darth Jaster saber staff:

specs:
CF 7 (hacked)
3400 mAh Internal recharged/quick swap battery
Quad cree XP-E2  R,R,rB,G (with modified lens holder for max brightness)
Easy SDcard access
Full reveal animated RGB crystal chamber (all wires hidden/routed through bored out MHS brass tubes)
3D printed blade plugs (thanks Darth Ryo)
Groovy Brass kill keys (Force Relics)
Matte black powder coated body (sanded for moderate/heavy weathering)
Sun gold powder coated two-part full shrouds with Sith Sun
(Also comes with Solo's Hold v2 stand with Quad Sun)
Custom hard carry case
Hopes, prayers, dreams, blood, sweat, tears, mild heart trauma (stupid and powder coating eqiupment don't mix)

Sound fonts:
Revenge             Red
Fates                  Medium blue
Shatterpoint        Purple
Greymeat            Orange
Hero                   Green
Schwartz             Yellow
Korriban              Red
Hoth                   Ice blue
Resblade             Purple
Revolt                 Red orange
Youngling            Green
Jaina SOTJ (v1)    Royal blue

Video:
Darth Jaster: Unpacking your lightsaber 5 of 6 - YouTube
Darth Jaster: Unpacking your lightsaber 6 of 6 - YouTube

Pics:

Enjoy.  :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:50:41 PM by Merik »
You are unique, just like everyone else.

Offline Professor Huyang

• Formerly known as TyFighter
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
Re: Awesome MHS Sith saber staff
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 04:36:42 PM »
GORGEOUS!!!! THE DETAILS! THE EVILNESS! I CAN HARDLY CONTAIN MY ENTHUSIASM!

Looks like something straight from The Old Republic, in a great way.
"Many years I have been on this ship teaching many a Jedi before you, and I will continue teaching many a Jedi after you. Call me what you want, but inside my memory banks I contain a record of every lightsaber ever made, and the Jedi who fashioned it."
―Huyang

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 06:39:22 PM »
I deam this weapon worthy of a marauder :sidious:

It looks as if it was dug up by some tomb raider and placed in the Jedi archives.

MTFBWY

Offline Gnar-Gnar Gin

• Experienced Force User
  • OhCanaduh
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »
very nice!,

Digging the weathering job
Han Solo describes saber building perfectly: "NO! This one goes here, that one goes there"

Saber building in a nut shell... as described by a smuggler

Offline Viper138

• Padawan Learner
  • Strength & Honor!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 07:13:44 PM »
Those sabers are gorgeous! Would you please go into more detail on how you built the crystal chamber? I love how you did it and would like to model my chamber like yours!-Viper

Offline Merik

• Force User
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 07:58:59 PM »
The chamber used two MHS chassis discs, one for inside the MHS parts, one that locked between the male and female sections.  The locking one was the base, then I used brass tubes to connect them. Two of the brass tubes have the 4/40 all thread rod with nuts on the outside and glued in place.  The third tube I bored out with a 1/8" drill bit, then filed it a bit with a tiny round metal file. (My 9/64" drill bit kept shredding all the way through.) I also filed the corresponding hole in the top and bottom disc to allow for the extra width. I then countersunk holes barely wider than the brass tubes into the top and bottom discs. This seemed to marry up better and look better in general.

I used 28 gauge wire.  After the filing I could feed all five wires I needed through.  Feeding the wires took about 45 minutes per chamber and removed all tactile sensation from my fingertips. It was that tight.  (I was glad I did this before I mounted the crystal. I wouldn't have been able to grab it well enough. I even had to remove the other brass tubes and 4/40 rod to hold it right.)

For the mount I used a standard copper pipe fitting with then ends cut down.  I drilled holes through it and sanded it all down to remove the pretty finish.

I used a less-than-efficient way to mount the crystal and LED's, but it worked:

The LED's are mounted in a penny. I cut it down to fit inside the larger end of my fitting, then cut 3 holes for my 3 LED's, placed them and wired them.  I used the top I'd cut off the narrow end of the fitting to hold the penny with LED's in place, filled the top most of the way up with Gorilla clear epoxy, then set the crystal in. (Some epoxy leaks down if you do it this way.) I built a framework to hold the crystal in place while it set. It mainly consisted of another chassis disc with a bigger hole drilled through the middle.

After that epoxy thoroughly set, I turned the fitting upside down, threaded the wires through the chamber base (again, the chassis disc that locks between the male and female sections), set the now-constructed crystal chamber inside an MHS part bottom-end-up, attached a double-male MHS piece to lock the disc in place, pulled the wires tight and taped them to the outside. This held the fitting tightly on the base disc (now upside-down). I then used a toothpick to apply more Gorilla epoxy through the chassis disc into the under side of the fitting, filling it completely, and having just a bit go all the way through the disc.  As soon as it set I was good to go.

For this particular design, the speaker was mounted forward-facing and just below the crystal chamber. I used my dremmel to cut/sand the bottom disc into a triangle to allow more sound to pass by.

I think that's pretty much it. This is one example of how a crystal chamber can add a lot of work to a saber.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:30:08 PM by Merik »

Offline Viper138

• Padawan Learner
  • Strength & Honor!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 04:34:42 PM »
This is one example of how a crystal chamber can add a lot of work to a saber.

Holy crap man,you aren't kidding! It's a great piece of work and thank you so much for replying with such detail.It's awesome to have forum members actually respond and go into detail about how they do things for us new guys,we learn a lot.

I really like how you used the locking chassis design,I wouldn't have thought of that. Also,nice touch with the Emperor's March  ;D

Is it safe to assume that you wired your chamber LED's in series with your main LED die and made the chamber LED's the same colors to match the blade?(For example,RGB TriRebel and RGB mini LED's?) I've wondered how you'd be able to do that with the CFv7. The manual suggests using an all in one LED but I'm not sure what the advantages and disadvantages are of going that route.

Offline Merik

• Force User
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 06:00:15 PM »
Is it safe to assume that you wired your chamber LED's in series with your main LED die and made the chamber LED's the same colors to match the blade?(For example,RGB TriRebel and RGB mini LED's?) I've wondered how you'd be able to do that with the CFv7. The manual suggests using an all in one LED but I'm not sure what the advantages and disadvantages are of going that route.

I used a 3.7v battery setup, so I didn't have the voltage for the Reds in series. I also wasn't using a Color Xtender.  I wanted this sith-focussed, so I wired the Reds in parallel on the main channel. The Cree Red LED's can take an amp each, so I could really get a lot out of them. Then I used Royal blue and green on the other channels unresisted. I did put a resistor on their shared positive from the terminal to reduce any voltage ripple issues which can cause errant swing sounds.

The Royal blue is dimmest, so I could have put that on the main channel to overdrive it, but I wanted it Sith heavy. My next quad, as long as it isn't another dedicated sith saber, will probably be R,G,rB,rB. Then I can put the two dimmer blues on main and overdrive them. That would work for amazing Royal and mixed blues, and some phenomenal bright purples. Though, if you're looking for the best mixing and the ability to overdrive every channel you can use a Color Xtender. That would work for other battery setups. If you had 7.4 volts you could put the blues in series.

For the crystal chamber I used three separate LED's on the CF accent LED pads 6-8. CF7 allows controlled color mixing on Accent LED's 5-8 in idle mode for Crystal Pulse. You should be able to use a single RGB led wired the same way, or on the channel output pads (only on PC3+ or CF6+) to use actual blade mirror and mixing effects. I just wanted Crystal Pulse for idle mode.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 06:06:35 PM by Merik »

Offline Viper138

• Padawan Learner
  • Strength & Honor!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 06:10:03 PM »
Well I'm planning on going all out and getting the CFv7 and CeX and I'm breaking the bank with this one but I'm pretty freaking excited! I plan on running the 7.4V setup but I'm still undecided on the quad LED setup... Still trying to decide if it's worth it for me since I'm going to run a CeX.

But enough about me,I don't want to hijak your thread. Your sabers are amazing and I hope that mine turns out as nice as yours. Thank you again for your replies and your help! 

Offline garymorris2

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • grey jedi
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 10:30:51 PM »
wow amazing saber

retrousse