fiduciary

Author Topic: Picking up a cheap used stunt is it worth doing mods?  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Hendu

• No Force
  • "This weapon is your life"
Picking up a cheap used stunt is it worth doing mods?
« on: October 24, 2014, 10:46:39 PM »
Hello so I'm picking up a cheap used US aeon LE it's very basic blue led, non lit switch, no sound, uses 4 AAA batteries. Now I'm planning on giving this one to my girlfriend but I'd like to know what's involved and is it worth upgrading this to take a 18650 cell? How hard is it to swap the LED for a purple one? How hard would it be to ad a AV switch? Or should I just leave it the way it is? I have a good understanding of electrical work from my automotive background and various jobs but Iv never tackled modifying a saber myself beyond installing a covertec wheel.

Offline Gnar-Gnar Gin

• Experienced Force User
  • OhCanaduh
Re: Picking up a cheap used stunt is it worth doing mods?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 10:58:43 PM »
Well purple is a tricky color, as it doesn't really exist, its the combination of two colors, you can try a try rebel or tri cree with red and royal blue and resisting the red... switching the battery should be fairly straight forward
Han Solo describes saber building perfectly: "NO! This one goes here, that one goes there"

Saber building in a nut shell... as described by a smuggler

Offline Hendu

• No Force
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 11:03:16 PM »
Yea I figured that with the purple, might just be easier to stick with blue. With the 18650 is it as simple as choping out the AAA holder and wiring the power and ground to a 18650 holder? Or because of the voltage changes and xxx do I gotta mess around with it? Do you know if the lit switch is a mod worth doing? Or is it more trouble than it's worth?

Offline Gnar-Gnar Gin

• Experienced Force User
  • OhCanaduh
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 11:45:17 PM »
You'd need to use a different resistor, but stunt wiring is very simple, there's lots of great tutorials on here and tcss for simple stunt wiring with resistors... I'm on mobile so can't look it up atm...
Han Solo describes saber building perfectly: "NO! This one goes here, that one goes there"

Saber building in a nut shell... as described by a smuggler

Offline Hendu

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 11:55:26 PM »
Yea I'm on mobile too lol working nights right now :P I'll take a look tomorrow hopefully I can find something. Wouldn't mind redoing the wiring in this anyways as these sabers aren't known for their quality (I guess that's the nicest way of putting it)

Offline Hendu

• No Force
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 09:05:21 AM »

So I picked up the saber yesterday and went over the wiring with a fine tooth comb, and it all seems good.I added a spiked pommel I had laying around that seems to fit the saber well. My girlfriend is really happy with it now that she's seen it and had it in her hand I think the only modification I want to still do is covert it to use a 18650 cell because I think I'll burn through the 4 AAA's too quick and that might get pricey.

Offline Hendu

• No Force
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 09:08:40 AM »
Oh I did have an issue with the LED being really loose and rattling around in the saber it was also letting the blade go into the saber like 4" so I wrapped a bit of electrical tape around the heat sink so it fits tighter in the saber. The battery pack also rattled around in the bottom of the hilt so I just opted to store the blade plug in the hilt and it fits perfectly below the battery pack and keeps it from rattling around.

Offline DarthRaevus

• Master Force User
  • Friendly neighborhood machinist...
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 09:30:58 AM »
Its always a good idea to practice and hone ones skills on a hilt that doesn't have a lot of money tied up in it.  Like say a MKIII or any particular run saber.

Items like that are basically an aluminum tube and a blank canvas.

For the led/heatsink module, rather than electrical tape, perhaps a few wraps of the aluminum foil duct work tape from a hardware store (or borrow some if you know anyone that does AC work)  The aluminum transfers heat to the hilt body better than electrical tape and it will also solve your gap issue.

I like the idea of upgrading to a li-ion cell as well.

Whether you make it replaceable or in hilt recharge, its a good mod to make.
Also, put some thought into how you want to install the cell/holder.  Maybe play around with some kind of chassis?  Look up madcow (Genesis custom sabers) on Youtube, his long tutorial on upgrading ascend sabers has lots of insight into inexpensive install options.

And, go to shapeways.com and look around, 3D printing is getting more and more economical by the day, and for those without machinery access, it is a good way to get a chassis that is easy to modify and fit to a particular build.

There are items that can be used with an in hilt recharge 18650 and gives you the option to add sound later on when skill/funds/etc. permit.

A lot at once, I know, but just want you to know that we're all here to help each other improve and better ourselves, and the hobby as a whole.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 03:31:30 AM by DarthRaevus »

Offline Hendu

• No Force
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 09:46:20 AM »
Thank you very much, in hilt recharge was a option I was considering because this being a stunt with no sound I figured it may be a cool option that would allow me to use it as a lamp as well. I was looking on TCSS for wiring diagrams on just a simple 18650 swap but I'm running into issues as I don't know what this saber is running for a LED.

Offline DarthRaevus

• Master Force User
  • Friendly neighborhood machinist...
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 12:12:46 PM »
If you can get the led module out, it should come apart so you can see what the led is (lux rebel, etc.)  or one of the old p4's.

If its not obvious, post a pic.

Offline Hendu

• No Force
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 12:17:03 PM »
Lol I already had the LED out and took apart the heatsink I just forget what was in it, I'll pull it apart again tonight and check.

retrousse