fiduciary

Author Topic: new MHS heatsink needed for CF7 4 die leds  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Iamhomostellaris

• Force User
  • No pain, no toast.
new MHS heatsink needed for CF7 4 die leds
« on: March 12, 2014, 02:54:48 AM »
This topic should concern all people who will need to use CF7DS and its 4 led channel in a MHS system, using the quadpod 4 cree XP-E2 (maybe best led in early 2014?)

The PCB used for theses led is this

Cree XPG - QuadPod 4-Up Cool-White High Power LED

So I tried it with the v4 led holder and despite the bigger size the MHS part is doing the job very well!!
The copper heatsink dont need to be changed in diameter, fits perfectly!

The aluminium holder would need a very minor adjust in diameter to fits the optics provided (carclo).

Then I would need to know if it could be possible to have heatsinks a bit differents from the V4, with very minor changes:

1) the holes thru the copper, same diameter but not 6, just 4 holes fiting the quadpod support with the same diameter (the diameter of the MHS heatsinks are exactly the same than the quadcore but should be placed )
These holes allow 2wire 24awg silicone to go thru 1 hole.

2) a bit more longer copper heatsink on the thread: this is the zone the heat is sinking to the aluminium, I'm also going to use thermal paste in this area. Quadpod mean 3 dice working at the same time (+1 foc): more heat to sink

For the aluminium part I will modify them myself in order to get the sabers prototype faster but the copper part is very more sensitive to my hpov: titanium dont sink heat that much I care about frying my system.

I have found 2 quatro optics
Kathod and carclo

Kathod lens fits the leds but not the quadpod PCB

the Carclo is shorter

As said before silicon 24awg wires can go thru 1pcb holes, pcb hole are the same diameter than the copper's holes)

The question I have to answer myself (soon)
witch lens would work better? I have to finish the cram-fu to power it.

Some pics
left Kathod, right Carclo

sorry for the pics, as my camera is dead I shoot the photos with my phone witch allow me to post too..
We are all looking at the stars, we are Homo-sapiens-Stellaris.
when I see other's sabers I might think they have build them like a Tardis, bigger inside than oustide. Unlike mines huhu.

Offline Iamhomostellaris

• Force User
  • No pain, no toast.
Re: new MHS heatsink needed for CF7 4 die leds
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 04:51:01 AM »
Well all the CF wieing is close to be done. I also dound the Vf of my FoC leds but now I need to put my quadpad on the correct copper heatsink...

help would be welcome, at last hole-free copper heatsinks would be nice!
when I see other's sabers I might think they have build them like a Tardis, bigger inside than oustide. Unlike mines huhu.

Offline Viper138

• Padawan Learner
  • Strength & Honor!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 10:42:36 AM »
What are the advantages of using 4 die led for the CFv7?

Offline cvsickle

• Force User
  • Avid Saber Enthusiast and Build Attempter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »
The CF7 was given the ability to control four separate LEDs.  For example, you could use a Red, Green, and Blue to control the color while using the fourth (probably white or amber) as an on-top flash on clash.

Offline Iamhomostellaris

• Force User
  • No pain, no toast.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 10:12:43 PM »
Here is the news

Inside my saber:

so for now I have 3XR +1W but I also have green ones.
one more pic even if a photo is subject to too many factors to give you the real deal
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 10:18:43 PM by Iamhomostellaris »

retrousse