fiduciary

Author Topic: NEC Z6 vs NECreeRGB LED QUESTION  (Read 6852 times)

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
Re: NEC Z6 vs NECreeRGB LED QUESTION
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 07:49:26 PM »
I really think you're starting to lose it. No one says you can't use a resistor. We often use a diode because of its size. Also, bridging positive pads isn't hard for me but that doesn't make it easy for others. As for the battery, find where I've ever recommended the one you mentioned. Personally, I prefer the Keeppower 3400mAh (google it for a data sheet) as it has the best balance for my needs. Your LED argument is still garbage. With the NECree you'd have one die already set then you'd just need another diode or resistor for your other low voltage colors. Any other LED would require a diode/resistor to replace the one on board and doesn't do a darn thing to help with the common positive issue.

You can keep posting all you like but at the end of the day, you're wrong

/micdrop

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 07:58:02 PM »
I really think you're starting to lose it. No one says you can't use a resistor. We often use a diode because of its size. Also, bridging positive pads isn't hard for me but that doesn't make it easy for others. As for the battery, find where I've ever recommended the one you mentioned. Personally, I prefer the Keeppower 3400mAh (google it for a data sheet) as it has the best balance for my needs. Your LED argument is still garbage. With the NECree you'd have one die already set then you'd just need another diode or resistor for your other low voltage colors. Any other LED would require a diode/resistor to replace the one on board and doesn't do a darn thing to help with the common positive issue.

/micdrop

You still don't get it. Either way you're still better off with a SINGLE EXACT VALUE CALCULATED RESISTOR than you are with a diode, as you can calculate the resistor for both LEDs in parallel and use JUST ONE. YOU just don't like it because its compatible with other boards than your PRECIOUS NEC boards. Oh and another advantage of going to TCSS, for a custom configuration you don't have to e-mail anyone, you just configure it on the site and hit the add to cart button.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:00:07 PM by PhoenixJedi »

I'm the only saber smith ever mentioned in the NY Times: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35163
My Sabers: Avenger & Defender (TCSS Pair), Ravager (SF Vanquish)
Check out my profile for my website, sound font samples and pictures of sabers i've built!
Note: All sales from me, once shipped, are final.

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 08:00:55 PM »

/micdrop

You still don't get it. Either way you're still better off with a SINGLE EXACT VALUE CALCULATED RESISTOR than you are with a diode, as you can calculate the resistor for both LEDs in parallel and use JUST ONE. YOU just don't like it because its compatible with other boards than your PRECIOUS NEC boards.

No dude, you don't get it. I have said repeatedly you can use either a resistor or a diode. Nothing about my PRECIOUS

Seriously, you need help

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 08:07:55 PM »

/micdrop

You still don't get it. Either way you're still better off with a SINGLE EXACT VALUE CALCULATED RESISTOR than you are with a diode, as you can calculate the resistor for both LEDs in parallel and use JUST ONE. YOU just don't like it because its compatible with other boards than your PRECIOUS NEC boards.

No dude, you don't get it. I have said repeatedly you can use either a resistor or a diode. Nothing about my PRECIOUS

Seriously, you need help

You do realize that your ON BOARD diode would prevent you from tying two reds together on one channel right? Also, quit with the personal attacks.

I'm the only saber smith ever mentioned in the NY Times: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35163
Check out my profile for my website, sound font samples and pictures of sabers i've built!

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 08:11:33 PM »
Enough with the bickering fellas... :mad:

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 08:13:36 PM »

/micdrop

Seriously, you need help

You do realize that your ON BOARD diode would prevent you from tying two reds together on one channel right? Also, quit with the personal attacks.

No bickering. Just need to point out that it is an equation in which the diode can be taken in to account

/threadjack

Offline erlomd

• Experienced Force User
  • "Fog Machines & Lightsaber Reys"
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 10:09:07 PM »

OP state he's using a Spark 2. If that's the case, getting a custom NECree WOULD BE advantageous since it is simpler wiring for an NEC board.
[/quote]

exactly as I was thinking...since I'm using a spark 2 board, then a NeCree (NEC CreeXPE-2)  would make a lot of sense over a standard CreeXPE-2

Thanks! I'll see if he can make a RRW then

Offline naigon

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Naigon's Electronic Creations
    • SaberIgniter.com
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 10:51:26 PM »
Actually while the reasons the person who chimed in earlier is wrong, the custom one here would be amiss as I believe they were asking for a RRx LED, and I only have one provision for the on-board diode, so an external resistor/diode would still be needed. For BBx or GGx this would be a great choice but RRx will require external resistors.

That being said I'll only make custom ones from time to time if I feel like it, and right now I'm super busy so don't expect any anytime soon.

Finally, I'm phasing out the Z6 so it won't be an option anymore, the NECree is much more efficient and is easier to install so just makes sense, so I recommend it for RGrB with my boards, and TCSS for custom colors for now.
Naigon
Igniter developer/creater - my site is in my profile!
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=29490.0

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 01:42:25 AM »
I'm going to get straight to the point here. I am NOT WRONG about this the argument threw off my main point. So,

1: ANY LED configuration using a DIODE for the job a RESISTOR is supposed to do is a BAD configuration. DIODES were not meant to lower voltage and provide resistance to operate an LED. Their function is to make a current flow in only ONE direction and not another. They do lower voltage, but the amount of voltage they lower changes with amount of current and temperature, two things that make a diode VERY inefficient.

2: Any HEAT GENERATING DEVICE (including a LED) should NOT have a DIODE (as they are heat sensitive), nor a RESISTOR (as they generate heat) soldered to the LED base.

Doing either of the above is straight up just BAD ELECTRONICS PRACTICE.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:49:08 AM by PhoenixJedi »

Offline erlomd

• Experienced Force User
  • "Fog Machines & Lightsaber Reys"
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 07:14:41 AM »
Actually while the reasons the person who chimed in earlier is wrong, the custom one here would be amiss as I believe they were asking for a RRx LED, and I only have one provision for the on-board diode, so an external resistor/diode would still be needed. For BBx or GGx this would be a great choice but RRx will require external resistors.

That being said I'll only make custom ones from time to time if I feel like it, and right now I'm super busy so don't expect any anytime soon.

Finally, I'm phasing out the Z6 so it won't be an option anymore, the NECree is much more efficient and is easier to install so just makes sense, so I recommend it for RGrB with my boards, and TCSS for custom colors for now.

thanks Naigon!

retrousse