fiduciary

Author Topic: Satele's Jedi Costume  (Read 9388 times)

Offline Satele Shan

• Formerly known as alessandra
  • Master Force User
Re: Satele's Jedi Costume
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 05:16:54 PM »
Just for reference if you did decide to join the rebel legion with the costume here are the requirements below. With the colors in the picture with current standards it would be classified as a generic new republic jedi:

Generic Jedi, New Republic
Required Items:

Outer Tunic/Jacket
    Utility Belt (similar to canon belts in construction) with D-ring
    Leather, suede, leather-like boots at least calf length. No rubber boots or visible laces
    Lightsaber (no toys) and no red blade
    Pants or skirt
    No visible t-shirts
    No loud colors like pink or neon green. Natural colors like brown, black, grey, white, green, blue, and red are fine.

Formal Requirements:
You must have at least three items from the list to be formal.

Robe or Cape (Recommended)
    Leather (or similar) Pouches
    Vest or tabards
    Obi/Sash
    Belt tools-- droid caller, battery packs, etc.
    Blaster with holster

The boots would be fine as they meet the requirements and the zipper as long as its inside calf is fine as well.

I'm not really sure if I'm going to be trooping - probably just cons and for Halloween and stuff. I would also be using a Covertec clip, because let's face it, it's a better clip, despite my love for the D-rings on the OT sabers.

Offline LadySythe

• Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 06:27:30 PM »
I paid 200 for a custom sized raw silk kimono style tunic and matching waist cinched from Darkspectre. Alas I am unsure if their store is store open. Last time I tried to get into their website it was down. But the work is exceptional...though I had to modify it cuz of my hips... *coughs* Its now part of my official Dark Empire costume club Sith costume  ;D 8)

Woohoo! Their site works! Guess they were just updating the sits. http://darkspectre.com/ Thesw people are awesome and cery friendly :-)
ATTENTION: I will be leaving my Moderator status. Please do not pm me regarding this matter

MR Sabers: Dual Darth Maul 2006 **stolen** :'(
Grayven "Original"
"The Chosen" by Ben Kenobi
Static RLSA "Nameless" (gift from Vosk)

Offline Corran Horn

• Formerly known as Keil Edge
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • CSJ Props an NEC Certified Installer
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 06:35:33 PM »
I know exactly how you feel about the belt clip.  In fact, that is the only part of my costume that wouldn't meet the requirements for a Formal Application to the RL.  I also love the D-ring.  It's classic, you can't beat it for the nostalgic feel.  But really, it's not practical in my opinion.  And as far as that being a "New Republic" standard, I personally think it's ridiculous.  We're basing an entire standard on ONE Jedi.

Just because Luke couldn't seem to find a covertec, or he seemed to prefer the D-ring, doesn't mean (in my mind) that it should be THE choice for all New Rep Jedi.  For all intents and purposes, the only thing that makes my costume not "Old Rep" is that it's green and black. (Which, in following with Corran Horn's personal background would make it perfectly normal for an Old Rep Jedi, since his grandfather's robes were of the same nature.)

Some of the costuming standards need to be updated and broadened slightly to allow for a tiny bit more wiggle room.  The New Republic storylines are just FULL of Jedi wearing different colors and different styles.

(Ya, I know, we need to set the standard somewhere, but it's like saying that just because an airplane doesn't say American Airlines on it,  it can't be an airplane.)

"It's only stupid if we die doing it, otherwise it's heroism." -Corran Horn-

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 06:43:44 PM »
Personally I like the D-ring (or something similar) and that's what I put on almost all of my designs.

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 04:22:43 AM »
Personally I like the D-ring (or something similar) and that's what I put on almost all of my designs.

Same here.  Looooove it.

Mine will never come off and it looks great.  It's just as easy to take my saber off as using a covertec.  I think my big gripe with a covertec is you need that stupid button sticking out of your hilt.  It gets in the way of dueling.  A dring hangs off the end of your pommel and never gets in the way.

As for the RL and either clip.  Honestly, you will rarely ever hang your saber while trooping.  Kids want it out and lit.  I doubt I'll ever use it.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 04:40:45 AM »
I say it isn't just as easy to remove the saber.  Especially with a triangle d-ring (ROTJ sabers).  but seriously, the clip always comes off with the saber.  Also, the d-ring lets the saber swing and smack into stuff if you aren't careful.  covertec for me all the way. 

Offline Satele Shan

• Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 04:50:07 AM »
The whole Covertec = Old Republic and D-ring = New Republic seems strange to me.  The Covertec is an improvement over the D-ring. Did the Emperor destroy all the Covertec clips along with the lightsaber crystals? 'Cause they seem like they'd be easy enough to make. It just seems like an overly restrictive requirement based off of a very minor detail in the films.

It also seems like the Covertec would keep the saber more secure while running and jumping and doing flips and stuff than a D-ring.

I don't see too many people with their PDAs or cameras hanging from D-rings. ;) But really, I enjoy the D-ring aesthetic more, but on a 'practical' saber, it's Covertec for me. Also: pockets and purses for your cameras and phones people. :P
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:26:39 AM by Satele Shan »

Offline DARTH MAUL

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • At last we shall have our revenge....
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 06:59:13 AM »
The requirements are based mostly off the movies. As someone mentioned that really only gives you Luke for New Republic. There are also no future references that I know of in the Expanded Universe of people using convertec clips, but then I could be wrong there. The colors are the other part where in the movies you see no one in blue, but there are EU references to blue tunic/robes so again makes it New Republic. I had the same problem originally with my costume being 90% Old Republic, but I couldn't find anything but black boots. So I submitted as New Republic with a d-ring and then just used my covertec anyway.  :P That's usually what ends up happening. Now I have different brown boots and have a full OR jedi in their eyes.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 07:13:54 AM »
That's a great point maul.  I was told by the judges that I needed to fit a formal Jedi to be approved. That would ensure I had a costume for a sanctioned LFL event that is more critical I guess than an average troop.

I was also told that for regular trooping I could wear whatever type I wanted.  It didn't matter.

So really just play the game to get in I guess then as long as it's not LFL have fun with it.

Offline Satele Shan

• Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 07:32:33 AM »
The requirements are based mostly off the movies. As someone mentioned that really only gives you Luke for New Republic. There are also no future references that I know of in the Expanded Universe of people using convertec clips, but then I could be wrong there. The colors are the other part where in the movies you see no one in blue, but there are EU references to blue tunic/robes so again makes it New Republic. I had the same problem originally with my costume being 90% Old Republic, but I couldn't find anything but black boots. So I submitted as New Republic with a d-ring and then just used my covertec anyway.  :P That's usually what ends up happening. Now I have different brown boots and have a full OR jedi in their eyes.

Ah, thanks!

I think the EU has Mara Jade with a Covertec clip. Since her saber was based of a Parks Saber to begin with, and the Master Replicas has a Covertec...I think.

It's not a true Covertec I guess - did they go out of their way to make it NOT a Covertec?

]

Offline Corran Horn

• Formerly known as Keil Edge
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • CSJ Props an NEC Certified Installer
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 07:36:57 AM »
I totally agree, sometimes you have to just play the game to get admitted.  But as for references in the EU, the neither the d-ring nor the covertec are overly referenced.  They usually just refer to the Jedi "clipping" or "holstering" their weapon.

"It's only stupid if we die doing it, otherwise it's heroism." -Corran Horn-

Offline Satele Shan

• Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 07:52:26 AM »
If I do decide to go trooping and apply, I'll be using a webbed belt with a Covertec clip on it, then I will wrap the obi over the belt so that only the clip itself sticks out the side of the obi. One thing I really liked about this costume was the elegance of it, and specifically not having utilitarian things like leather utility pouches. It seems really elegant and graceful, and only really needs the Covertec clip in an almost hidden area. It just works with my personal aesthetic sense.

I'm also not sure how much runtime my current custom lightsaber build will have. I can provide the specs, can someone give me a general runtime? I'm guessing 30-40 minutes.

I'm using two 18500 batteries at 7.4v and 1400mAh, powering a PC 1.6 with a 2w speaker and an RGGB 10w LedEngin, with the two green dice lit up as the main blade and the red and blue dice coming in for FoC. No rumble motor, and the only accent LED is on the illuminated AV switch.

Though now that I'm thinking about it, I'll probably build a trooping saber if I do this. I'm not the kind of person who does things halfway. I can make the trooping saber have an ice blue blade (RGBW with blue and white as the main blade, and red and green for a white FOC). Then I can use two 3100mAh 18650s or something like that for a longer runtime. I also didn't really want to duel with my first custom, I was intending it to be more of a show saber.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:41:19 PM by Satele Shan »

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 09:36:39 AM »
Did you already get your 18650s?  If not get the 3100mAh ones like I did.  They should provide for a great runtime.  I'm guessing more than I'll need.  At worst case one battery swap per event.  My setup is almost identical to yours.  RGGB.  No accents or other power drainers.  Simply green blade with FOC. Should be a great trooping saber.

retrousse