fiduciary

Author Topic: Build Log - Denix based ESB DL-44  (Read 5450 times)

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
Build Log - Denix based ESB DL-44
« on: March 18, 2015, 07:48:18 AM »
I haven't done one of these in a while. I'm a little excited!!  :)) ::)

So as much as I love my original DL-44, I decided I'm ready to upgrade to something a little more realistic. Therefore, I'm currently working on a Denix based DL-44 blaster. (WOO-HOO!)

Now I'm no scottjua, but many of the design cues and ideas I have been implementing have been coming from his builds, so thank you for the inspiration Scott! Still I figured I would keep a build log for members to follow should they desire to try their hand at something like this. I want to install sounds and retain the functionality of the hammer

Of course we will start with the Denix.

Nothing much done to it as of late except I cut off the tip off the barrel to allow the flash hider to slide on. I ordered the real wooden grip version but I think they sent me the synthetic one by accident....oh well.  :P Here are all the greeblies.

I decided to go with the Luke variant. It's suppose to be my personal blaster but I figured it would also go well with my Graflex saber since it's ESB style. The flash hider, scope, and bracket are from Evolution Props and the motor greeblies are resin casts from a seller I found on Etsy.

I slid on the flash hider to see how it looks!

A little too lengthy for my tastes. I'm going to have to sand the barrel a bit so I can slide the hider further on. In terms of internals, this will play host to the Blaster Core v3 that was in my original DL-44. Since space is a VERY limiting factor, I needed I nice small battery pack. That's where a pair of 10440s came into play. Since they are not a very common pack, I had to wind up making one myself. This was actually a first for me but I was very pleased with my results!

The internals require a bit more machining for wire clearance but so far so good. I even have a solution for mounting the switch, which some of you have seen already.  ;) 

I <3 3D printers!!

That should be it to start. I'll do my best to keep taking pictures and keeping you guys up to speed. Stay tuned and thanks!!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:06:14 AM by Machinimax »

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
Re: Build Log - Denix based ESB DL-44
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 08:09:30 AM »
did you chop the whole tip off? You only need to remove the sight ramp, as the tip of the barrel should protrude all the way through the flash hider. You'll have to slim down the barrel in toward the rear of the FH to get it to go all the way where it should.

Also your mounting bracket for a beeping Han or Luke should be level with the top of the magazine's bevel.

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 10:04:40 AM »
did you chop the whole tip off? You only need to remove the sight ramp, as the tip of the barrel should protrude all the way through the flash hider. You'll have to slim down the barrel in toward the rear of the FH to get it to go all the way where it should.

Also your mounting bracket for a beeping Han or Luke should be level with the top of the magazine's bevel.

I did but only chopped it just past the ramp. I looked down the hider and was very happy with the results. I just have to clean up the edges on the bench grinder.

Already aware about the bracket placement but I was wondering Scott, if I were to measure from the tip of the flash hider to the bolt on the slider, how long would you say that distance should be give or take?

Thanks for your input, man. Coming from you, it's invaluable!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 12:02:32 PM »
Oh man... I sold my personal replica, as I'm building a live fire version of it now. So I don't have anything to measure yet, or I'd be all over it for you. Sorry. :(

MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 07:51:13 AM »
Oh man... I sold my personal replica, as I'm building a live fire version of it now. So I don't have anything to measure yet, or I'd be all over it for you. Sorry. :(

Nah! No worries dude. I appreciate it though! :)

While I'm here, update time! The barrel is done and the flash hider fits like a glove. I LOVE the results! Next steps will be to drill and tap a hole in the bottom of the hider so I can hold it in place with a set screw and then find a spacer to place between the Denix and the scope bracket so I can mount that.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 01:35:31 PM by Machinimax »

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 08:03:23 PM »
Sorry about the double post but I have breaking news!

Anyways, the flash hider is now properly mounted to the barrel and the sight has been secured with a dab of epoxy. Thus concludes the work needed done on the top half.

Next I worked on securing the bracket and scope. I drilled and tapped a hole for the screw and found a washer that is acting as a perfect spacer. I was even able to secure to nut on the inside and the washer allowed the tip of the screw to sit perfectly flush with it.

Put it all together....

Basically done if it was a static prop (minus the motor greeblies). To finish up the outside, I need to grind off the Denix logo, drill the hole for the recharge port and aux switch, and touch up a few areas that lost some finish. More to come!

And now for the weather.... :D

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 05:53:14 AM »
The blocky and aesthetically unpleasing Denix logo (and text)....is no more!

Since I do not have a mill, I had to remove it by hand. I got rid of most of the text and logo using a grinding bit on my dremmel and then used a sanding bit to grind it closer. I wound up with a few gouges which didn't bother me at first since even Scott purposely leaves machining marks for realism. However, I decided to clean it up. I was back and forth between 400 grit sandpaper and steel wool. I was very happy with the results. Still a little pit or two but I feel that helps give it a bit of a used look.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:07:10 AM by Machinimax »

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 09:18:02 AM »
The blocky and aesthetically unpleasing Denix logo (and text)....is no more!

Since I do not have a mill, I had to remove it by hand. I got rid of most of the text and logo using a grinding bit on my dremmel and then used a sanding bit to grind it closer. I wound up with a few gouges which didn't bother me at first since even Scott purposely leaves machining marks for realism. However, I decided to clean it up. I was back and forth between 400 grit sandpaper and steel wool. I was very happy with the results. Still a little pit or two but I feel that helps give it a bit of a used look.

nice! Before I had a mill, I used an endmill in my drill press... not recommended for safety reasons.... but it worked. Jut get a Q tip with some aluminum black and touch that part up and it should match the denix finish pretty well. Don't rub... just dab it on and rinse once black. Oil with WD40 and voila.

MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka

Offline jedirobe

• Experienced Force User
  • ".......There is no try"
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 09:35:47 AM »
You're making me want to do  a anh version real bad. Looking good.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes......I will do what I must"

Offline Butterbean

• No Force
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 03:31:27 PM »
Nice build! Looking forward to more updates on this.

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 06:08:35 PM »
Time for a well deserved progress report!

The logo side of the blaster has been re-finished.

Scott you are absolutely correct! That Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black matches the original finish PHENOMENALLY! I can barely tell the difference.

The motor greeblies have also been painted. I found a nice flat black spray paint for them. They haven't been secured to the blaster yet but I want to save that for the very end. Even though the Luke version only has one of the little hoop pieces, I'm going to use them both....just because I want to! :D

Up next, another Scottjua inspired move, the grip placed recharge port.

I've been waiting a week to do this part as I didn't have the right tap I needed and therefore had to order it. As you can see in the pic below, I milled a little bit of clearance. The port isn't flush but rather sits slightly recessed in the hole. It looks and feels great! You might also be able to see the little hole I made above the grip to allow wires to pass through to the main body.

Lastly, I machined down the wall separating the mag housing and switch area a bit to allow the wiring to pass through to the sound board.

Oh and I didn't take any pics of this but the inside of the grips have been modified a bit and now allow my 2W bass speaker to sit nicely within!

If all goes well, this should be all that's left:

- Drill sound holes
- Drill Aux switch hole
- Electronics installation
- Secure motor greeblies

More to come, my friends! Be ready!! :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:18:41 PM by Machinimax »

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 04:26:11 PM »
Cram. Fu. MANIA!!!!!

Probably my biggest cram-fu challenge to date! However, a few minor finishing touches left to go. Expect a glam thread and video pretty soon!

Offline jedirobe

• Experienced Force User
  • ".......There is no try"
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 01:11:46 AM »
There's nothing like successfully finishing a cram-fu install. I love that feeling.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes......I will do what I must"

Offline keledi

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 08:33:53 PM »
Nice job! i always hated how the flash hider doesnt match the finish anywhere else on the blaster, though

retrousse