fiduciary

Author Topic: Build Log - Vintage Graflex V Project  (Read 3485 times)

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
Build Log - Vintage Graflex V Project
« on: April 23, 2014, 07:09:15 PM »
Hello folks! It's been too long since I started a post like this.

So in about three weeks, school ends and so does my undergraduate career. If all goes well (which it is so far), I should be running my own Technology Education classroom this September!

However, this summer will still be a chance for me to work on some new toys! I've got my next project lined up and waiting. Since I'm not ready to begin yet, I'm just going to give you guys a little sneak preview of what I have in mind. I think some of you will know what it is already but lets play the guessing game anyway. :D

Once the project gets fully underway, this thread will turn into the build log. I will catch you guys later. Stay tuned!!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:18:33 PM by Machinimax »

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
Build Log - Vintage Graflex V Project
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 10:18:06 PM »
Ok my friends! Now that I am home for the Summer, I ready to begin work on my newest project: my vintage Graflex V.

I am very excited about this one. I've dreamt of owning a Graflex since before I joined this forum. Now I'm ready to make that dream a reality.

I decided to go with the ESB style since that is my favorite Graflex design. I already have everything I need to make the flash gun look like the saber. I even have a second vintage red button!

As far as my internals go, I'm planning on building my own chassis design.

I have all the parts I need for the chassis itself. I just need the electronics, which will be ordered soon. The chassis itself utilizes chassis disk parts from TCSS. However, I required a custom designed disk for the crystal chamber. Therefore I came up with this.

This goes without saying, but the work Tim did was stellar! They came out exactly as I described to him and I couldn't be happier!

So keep watch folks! There is plenty more to come!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline Darth Ryô

• Experienced Force User
  • Glory of the Hunt
    • My blog: GOTH Custom Sabers
Re: Build Log - Vintage Graflex V Project
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 02:29:02 AM »
Oh yeah, I'll keep watching that one for sure ;)

Offline Wildcard

• Master Force User
  • This is an ex-parrot.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 09:32:48 AM »
Your plan, and progress are looking good so far Machinimax!

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 06:27:58 PM »
Thanks everybody!

Today I decided to dress the Graflex up and make it look ESB pretty!

I started with the grips. First things first, I needed to get any oils and dirt off the bottom of the flash handle.

Nothing some rags and rubbing alcohol couldn't cure. This then allowed me to apply the grips themselves. This took about 45 minutes alone but led to this.

Not too shabby I think. I used the grip template from partsofsw.com to help me. Next came one of the more arduous parts: drilling the holes for the grip screws as well as the Kobold D-ring. This was actually my first time tapping holes. My results were successful however.

Onto the clamp, I applied a strip of textured mylar tape around from TCSS and inserted a Slothfurance card.

Bring it all together, and I got this!

I'm very excited how far it has gotten in one day. I will be the first to admit that the grips are a little off but the way I see it, the screen used prop wasn't perfect either. In any case it still looks great! The next step will be to remove the original lightbulb housing so that the blade holder can take its place.

In fact, can someone help me here? How do I remove the bunny ears and slip out the lightbulb fixture?

psycho_ro

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 12:48:50 PM »
It's looking good so far dude. Really makes me want to start my ANH build, just gotta design a chassis for the thing...

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 10:03:17 PM »
Continuing today, I set about the task of removing the lightbulb fixture from the Graflex. This was by far the most annoying part of modifying the flash handle as getting out the rivet that held the bunny ears in was a pain in the doo-pa! However it eventually cooperated and set itself free. I then tapped the inside of the brass bushing so it can accept a 4-40 threaded screw. That wound up being a pain as well since the bushing kept rotating but I tested it out and it works great!

The bulb fixture moved out and the TCSS blade holder moved in. With that I decided to start work on the chassis. I sized the threaded rods to make sure everything would fit length wise.

That's probably going to be as far as I can take things until I order the rest of the parts I need. This will allow me to properly size and space everything else that needs to go inside.

Oh and if I have learned anything from this project so far, it's keep your hand clear of the pincher on your screw cutters when you are going to cut! :D

r
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 12:42:29 AM by Machinimax »

Offline Vercify

• Master Force User
  • rawr
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 11:35:56 PM »
Dude, you are blasting hrough this project, its great to see it looking so good already! I want to do my first graflex build this summer too, I had something very similar planned for once my finals end  >:( I wil definitely keep my eye on your log :)

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 12:47:19 AM »
Thank you very much Vercify! I've been daydreaming about starting this project for the last 2-3 weeks. I'm just as excited to see it all coming together so wonderfully!

Offline Darth Ryô

• Experienced Force User
  • Glory of the Hunt
    • My blog: GOTH Custom Sabers
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 02:23:12 AM »
Yeah it's great to see you go through this step by step ^^
That will be helpful as well for the time when I'll start working on mine, so thanks a lot for sharing ;)

Offline Noir1990

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 02:30:30 AM »
Very detailed and good looking build log. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm really curious about the finished saber.

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 03:39:00 AM »
Ouch,  put a bandaid on that thing! :o

Glad to see these build coming to life. We all know it was coming ;D

Will be watching patiently :jediblue:

Congrasts on school/ work ^-^ keep those minds flowing with knowledge  8)

MTFBWY

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 06:01:09 AM »
Ouch,  put a bandaid on that thing! :o

I was surprised how little it bled. I really broke the blood vessels under the skins more than anything else. Still not fun though. :p

I'm glad you are all enjoying the build log. I keep track of these projects for the very purposes you all describe: to create something that someone else may follow. I also just like to keep track of my progress in general. It creates a history that allows me to see what I done and what I may have learned.

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 03:09:20 PM »
Yo saber peeps!

Small update! So the bunny ears have now been re-secured back on the Graflex. I found a pretty nice screw to fill in for the rivet.

It looks good in my eyes and keeps the ears and ring from flopping around. :)

The order for the remainder of the parts I need has been placed and I estimate it will arrive at the beginning of the weekend. I should have a new update sometime around then!

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 11:46:38 PM »
I was back in business today! The package that contained the remainder of the parts I needed had arrived. With that, I am in the processes of properly spacing everything on the chassis. Once I feel all parts have been placed properly, I will cut the pieces of aluminum and brass rod that I need to fill the gaps between the chassis disks.

So far so good. For those of you who are curious, the sound card is a Petit Crouton 3.0. The trouble I'm having right now is that the placement of the crystal makes it a little difficult to pull the SD card out. I may have to sand and re-shape the crystal a little bit. I could also back the crystal up a tad more if I want to as I can spare about another 1/4 or so. At the same time, I do like how it is currently positioned.

I'll see what happens next. It might take me a day or two before I can get in the basement to work as there was some flooding down there today. Hopefully it will be fine by the morning.

retrousse