fiduciary

Author Topic: Satele's Jedi Costume  (Read 9367 times)

Offline Satele Shan

• Formerly known as alessandra
  • Master Force User
Satele's Jedi Costume
« on: December 14, 2011, 08:44:21 AM »
Okay, so I have to finish up all my lightsaber projects, then I need to save some money and also buy some real-world clothes, but I should eventually within the next year be able to afford a high-quality Jedi costume.

This is what I want to base my design off of:

So first of all, I don't have much in way of sewing skills, but my roommate makes costumes fairly often and can help me. Any suggestions on a good fabric to make this out of, so I can start planning? Those of you who have seen my lightsaber thread know that I plan EVERYTHING. There's 11 pages of planning before I even had any physical parts on-hand. I think this should be fairly reasonable to do, and I have a few kimono patterns that I could loosely base this off of.

I'm also not entirely sold on the blue, since my lightsaber will be green, but I really like the accent of the red tie on the blue fabric. I also look pretty good in blue, I definitely have a "Winter" skin tone. For the boots, I will just buy regular boots that I like and I need a nice pair anyhow, but I'll probably go with a chunky heel.

Thoughts, suggestions, advice? Thank you!

EDIT: I am also considering contacting TwinRoses about making this, but I will wait until I have at least a few hundred dollars ready to go.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:40:26 PM by Satele Shan »

Offline Artorius Vidnyl

• Force User
  • Suns of the Force
Re: Satele's Jedi Costume
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 08:48:57 AM »
I bought from Twin Roses earlier this year.  I contacted them in March an didn't make a purchase until July.  If you want to start the ball rolling, get some info on price and some help on what they can order etc you can shoot them an early email.  They're really good with that.

Regardless, that looks like a cool and unique outfit!  Can't wait to see the finished product.

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."
―Qui-Gon

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:05:10 AM »
Twin rose all the way.  For that costume if it were me I'd plan on maybe $300 for the top part. Plan several months out as they get busy at times.  I think I ordered three months out.

Get your own leggings to match for cheap like we Jedi use kaki dockers for.  Just pick around for a color that matches or get white and dye them.

For the upper short robe you might want to think about something very lightweight that flows and blows freely, unlike wool that is heavy.  There are sheers, silk and other fabrics that would work great.

For boots the best of the best is Daniel in Peru.  Look up Facebook for jdos productions.  Mine were $300 shipped.  He does custom work and could most likely make you a pair.  Plan several months out.  I paid on 6-14 and got them a few days before Halloween.

You could also get black women's riding boots off eBay for cheap.  You could get some leather and Velcro on the front straps.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 09:06:49 AM by LUKE SKYWALKER »

Offline Satele Shan

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 09:07:21 AM »
Thanks for the advice! I guess I'll have to budget for about $1000 for a complete costume then, which might mean delaying it a bit. I'm just finishing grad school and will have student loans to pay back soon.

Offline Satele Shan

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:13:24 AM »
Madden Girl has these two which might work and they're each under $100. I like the left one better. I'm also pretty short and wear heels everyday, so I'm still considering a chunky 2" or 3" heel.

I also really like the idea of something super-lightweight or sheer for the outer bits of the costume.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:40:13 PM by Satele Shan »

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 09:56:34 AM »
Not counting my saber, mine ran around $800.

Twin rose took about $350
Boots took $300
My custom belt made by me took around $150 and that included pouches and capsules.

You can do it a lot cheaper if you can sew or know someone that can.

Those boots look great and almost like my son's boots I bought for Halloween.  $100 is a great price for them looking that awesome.  You could mod them by adding straps.  It would take a little trial and error trying to match stains. Your best bet is to drive to Tandy leather.  You have one about 20 minutes west of BOS.  They could help you match the color and also you could rummage through their scrap bins for cheap strips of leather to make the straps.  You could get out of there for about $12 or so.

Evenflo stain is around $6-ish.  Scrap leather in the seconds bin around $8-ish.

My only grip about the boots' and this is just me being picky, is the visible zipper down the side.  Certainly not worth passing them up for.  My sons boots have the zipper on the back.  Still visible but not as much in pics.

Great looking boots.  If I were you I'd go with those unless you want to cough up another $200 for handmade ones.  Before buying them though, sound a few hours searching eBay.  There are often great deals on women's riding boots.  Dont jump too quickly before you see what else is out there.  I spent several days searching for my sons boots.  I almost jumped on a real leather ones only to find his current pair.  I'm glad I waited because his new ones are far better than the original ones I saw.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:05:43 AM by LUKE SKYWALKER »

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 10:08:27 AM »
Madden Girl has these two which might work and they're each under $100. I like the left one better. I'm also pretty short and wear heels everyday, so I'm still considering a chunky 2" or 3" heel.

I also really like the idea of something super-lightweight or sheer for the outer bits of the costume.

Very similar to my son's boots found here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270836071120?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2587wt_922

Offline Satele Shan

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 10:08:41 AM »
Thanks, LUKE.

I'm definitely the type to look around and explore all my options. These pair were off of eBay, but I'll also make a trip to DSW and stuff. I don't plan on starting buying stuff for my costume until I have all my sabers finished, which is a good bit of money in and of itself.

~$200 - to finish my custom saber
~$150 - to get another 3-cell Graflex flash
~$50 - to get another Exactra 20

So I've already spent too much on my sabers, so it might be awhile before this costume really gets under way.

Offline Green Ranger

• Formerly known as Darth Payne
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 11:13:33 AM »
I like the costume, be nice to see it in person :) Maybe you will be at CVI to show off your Custom and your Costume next year?

Offline Satele Shan

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 11:16:41 AM »
I like the costume, be nice to see it in person :) Maybe you will be at CVI to show off your Custom and your Costume next year?

Depends on money and time. I'll probably go to Anime Boston and PAX East in costume (if it's ready in time), but I don't know about CVI yet. I might also go to SDCC, because there's actually a professional conference going on in San Diego that same time period (Society of American Archivists annual conference).

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 03:58:21 PM »
Personally I'd put the costume before more sabers.  How many do you need?  But a costume?  You can start trooping if you like, you can enjoy cons in dress' etc etc.  A who,e bunch of sabers mostly sit on a shelf.

Just my $.02 on where to spend your money.  But, you know best what fits your goals and desires.  We are here to give you a different perspective.

Offline Corran Horn

• Formerly known as Keil Edge
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • CSJ Props an NEC Certified Installer
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 04:26:50 PM »
That is an awesome costume.  I like the idea of seeing a Jedi costume that is a lot more feminine.  The idea that all female Jedi wore baggy clothes, or jumpsuits always sort of bugged me.

I swear, my feelings on this matter have nothing at all to do with being a male of the species..... ;)

"It's only stupid if we die doing it, otherwise it's heroism." -Corran Horn-

Offline Satele Shan

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 04:36:26 PM »
Personally I'd put the costume before more sabers.  How many do you need?  But a costume?  You can start trooping if you like, you can enjoy cons in dress' etc etc.  A who,e bunch of sabers mostly sit on a shelf.

Just my $.02 on where to spend your money.  But, you know best what fits your goals and desires.  We are here to give you a different perspective.

For me it's about finishing one project before I begin another. Four of those five sabers are static props - only my custom saber will be LED-lit, the other four really are just display pieces. So I've got to finish those before my brain can move onto other projects.

That is an awesome costume.  I like the idea of seeing a Jedi costume that is a lot more feminine.  The idea that all female Jedi wore baggy clothes, or jumpsuits always sort of bugged me.

I swear, my feelings on this matter have nothing at all to do with being a male of the species..... ;)

No, it's true from the female perspective, too. Why would I want to wear something baggy, shapeless, and essentially color-less?

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 05:01:54 PM »
 ;)

I really like your idea for a costume!!I hope it works out for you. ;)

Offline DARTH MAUL

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • At last we shall have our revenge....
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 05:05:37 PM »
Just for reference if you did decide to join the rebel legion with the costume here are the requirements below. With the colors in the picture with current standards it would be classified as a generic new republic jedi:

Generic Jedi, New Republic
Required Items:

Outer Tunic/Jacket
    Utility Belt (similar to canon belts in construction) with D-ring
    Leather, suede, leather-like boots at least calf length. No rubber boots or visible laces
    Lightsaber (no toys) and no red blade
    Pants or skirt
    No visible t-shirts
    No loud colors like pink or neon green. Natural colors like brown, black, grey, white, green, blue, and red are fine.

Formal Requirements:
You must have at least three items from the list to be formal.

Robe or Cape (Recommended)
    Leather (or similar) Pouches
    Vest or tabards
    Obi/Sash
    Belt tools-- droid caller, battery packs, etc.
    Blaster with holster

The boots would be fine as they meet the requirements and the zipper as long as its inside calf is fine as well.

retrousse