fiduciary

Author Topic: Chassis design program  (Read 1974 times)

Offline drakemma

• Padawan Learner
  • Oh look.. Something witty..
Chassis design program
« on: October 16, 2014, 04:50:55 AM »
I know this is an odd question, but does anyone know of a program similar to TCSS' MHS Builder for chassis? Or are they far too much of a custom item to allow for such a program? I have some ideas for chassis but would rather not buy the parts only to find out that they wouldn't suit my needs.

As ever, thank you all.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
Re: Chassis design program
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 06:45:30 AM »
You might mention to Tim at TCSS that it would be something you would be interested in, if you are talking about using his chassis parts.  Who knows, he may add something like that to the saber builder.  If you mean chassis in general, no there is no program and it is hard to see how there could be as there are infinite materials, parts, pieces, types out there to choose from.  Chassis construction can be artwork, like so many things in this hobby and is limited really only by the dimensions you have to fit your chassis in and your imagination :).

Facebook: VVFB

Offline drakemma

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 08:18:44 AM »
The dimensions are really the sticking points, for me. At this point in my saber building career, I prefer my chassis to be more utilitarian rather than the works of art that I have seen. I have difficulty envisioning how to make the chassis work with the lengths I need. I am currently using all MHS parts, since I have neither the skill nor the equipment to machine parts myself.

I didn't think there would be anything out there, but if there were, someone on this forum would know.

Offline ChameleonOne

• No Force
  • Aaaarghh!!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 06:07:55 PM »
shapeways have some good ones

Offline Darth Ryô

• Experienced Force User
  • Glory of the Hunt
    • My blog: GOTH Custom Sabers
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 01:03:36 AM »
Artwork or utilitarian, same drill, chassis are kind of too specific to a build to be able to be in a program like MHS Saber Builder.
I designed a few "standard" sized chassis for most soundboards, but in the end I always create new design for the particular hilt I build :)

So best advise for now, start gathering info about everything you need to fit in your hilt (board, battery, ports...), and then see the dimensions of where you wanna put that (ID and length of the hilt).
You can sketch that on paper for example and see if you can find something among the existing designs out there that would work for you, or ask someone to design something specific for your hilt.

Offline Viper138

• Padawan Learner
  • Strength & Honor!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 07:02:53 AM »
Darth Ryo,
What programs do you use to create your Shapeways chassis'?-Viper

Offline Darth Ryô

• Experienced Force User
  • Glory of the Hunt
    • My blog: GOTH Custom Sabers
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 08:41:47 AM »
I use Solidworks, don't have time to learn anything else, but it's quite enough :P

Offline drakemma

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 11:58:53 AM »
Oh, I agree, Ryo. And your chassis, much like the pike sleeve you fixed the dimensions on for me, are top notch. But most of the premade chassis I've seen are for batteries with recharge ports. The design I've got in mind doesn't have the room for a recharge port, so I'm looking for chassis ideas for a battery pack. I've seen a few examples, but wasn't sure if they would work for my purposes. I love the MHS builder for sizing things up, but a chassis is a different animal, it would seem. That's why I was looking for a program for chassis.

Offline Wyrlock

• Padawan Learner
  • Through victory my chains are broken...
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 08:25:51 AM »
If your already familiar with Autodesk products, Inventor is pretty easy to pick up. Plus you can get a "Student Edition" with a 3 year free license from their website.
I want to go home and re-think my life...

Offline drakemma

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 04:06:51 PM »
No, I'm not familiar with that program, actually. It can be used for chassis design?

Offline Wyrlock

• Padawan Learner
  • Through victory my chains are broken...
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 03:06:46 AM »
Yes, very similar to Solid Works mentioned earlier.
I want to go home and re-think my life...

retrousse