fiduciary

Author Topic: Lens holder and optics question  (Read 1454 times)

Offline primi

• No Force
Lens holder and optics question
« on: July 29, 2015, 04:07:47 AM »
Guys, I'm restarting my project from 2012 finally and I have run into a problem. LEDEngins were "hot" at that time and I bought a 10W RGBW and the heatsink from TCSS. Not sure why I got 8.7 collimator lens with a holder but it was probably the better option.

But they don't go together well. Not sure how many of you are using these LEDs now but if you do and perhaps those that did back then, what was the solution to fix the holder with lens in place and is there perhaps a sweetspot with regards the distance of the lens from the LED?

Here's a picture of what I have

Lens holder diameter is too small and it has plenty of room to move inside the heatsink module. And it doesn't sit well on the LED either so I don't like just screwing everything together tight.

If I take the holder off then the lens itself sits OK on the LED but I'm not sure that's the best idea possibly because of the heat and because I'm not sure if that's the best position for the lens to be to get a nice beam of light which I imagine is important for good blade illumination.

Tried searching the forum but nothing good really came up. Would appreciate a comment or two. I can probably 3D print my custom holder but again, what's the best position for the lens? Not that there's a lot of room but a couple of millimeters for sure.

Offline primi

• No Force
Re: Lens holder and optics question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 04:47:41 AM »
Looking at it more closely, I think I have up to 2.4 mm of vertical space to play with.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 08:30:56 AM »
Use the holder.  If you work at it it can be positioned correctly.  Just using the lens is not the best idea.

Facebook: VVFB

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 09:32:51 AM »
Another option is to get another, better fitting holder: 10736 Carclo Lens Holder Those style are still not the best fitting on the ledengin led,  but they work and fit the dome of the led into the lens better and also work with the TCSS heatsink modules just fine. The holder centers itself inside the led module,  then all you do is tighten the heatsink.

Offline primi

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 05:21:38 AM »
Thanks for the info. Will also probably print my own holder when I next send something out for printing. I'm thinking something like this.

It should give me the option to unscrew the heatsink a little to see if it makes a difference with the light beam and blade illumination. I would expect a sweetspot somewhere, probably fully screwed in anyway but who knows.

retrousse