fiduciary

Author Topic: New canon changes regarding saber crystals  (Read 8314 times)

Offline Corbin_Das

• Force User
  • Keeper of the Killer Penny
New canon changes regarding saber crystals
« on: July 22, 2016, 08:07:42 PM »
 OK, the latest change in what is and is not canon has me wondering how it may affect our custom sabers, specifically the crystal.

They're saying that all lightsaber crystals essentially start out the same now (clear), and that the blade color will be dictated by the builder's connection to the Force. Apparently, there aren't "red crystals" or "blue crystals" now. Does that mean if a Jedi took the crystal out of a Sith's saber (red) and reassembled it into their hilt, the crystal would then produce a blue or green blade? Can crystals be "cleansed" back to being neutral now?

If you had a saber designed to interchange crystals, and took one that was "imbued" by its former owner to have a red blade,
would the blade still be red when placed into your saber? I'm hoping so. That's kind of the whole point of my personal saber's design: to change colors with the different crystals.

Thoughts on this new change?

Offline KingOfDathomir

• Master Force User
  • Call me... Old Master
Re: New canon changes regarding saber crystals
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 12:51:29 AM »
Seems more to me, once it has a color, it stays even if removed and placed in a different hilt by a completely different user. However, if a Force sensative person's connection and/or relationship changes in the Force, any new crystal they intall into a saber will reflect that change. Throws the whole 'Sith built sabers in mockery of the jedi; crude and cruel imitations with synthetic crystals' thing out the window, too.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 01:44:06 AM by KingOfDathomir »

Korbanth Sid
Korbanth MW3
Korbanth DM1 v2014
RomanProps Inception Elite
MR 2005 Anakin ROTS LE
Korbanth Duke
HFFX ANH Darth Vader
SF Luke ROTJ Hero
Korbanth Crossguard
Korbanth Graflex v2.0 (Finn-flex)
AHS w/ Crystal Shard v1
Pachstore Shadowblade (SWR Darksaber)
VyleOne TCW Asajj Ventress (3-D printed, 1:1)
VyleOne TCW Pre-Viszla Darksaber (3-D printed, 1:1)
KR Sabers Kenobi ROTS

Offline madcow

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
    • Genesis Custom Sabers
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 02:00:48 PM »
As a big fan of SWEU (now "Legends"), I always have to try not to be disappointed/frustrated with this kind of change. The details are each tied to stories that are "real star wars" for me and many others (Corran Horn, Darth Bane etc.) I can accept that some of these changes are necessary in order to go forward, and I suppose this is not a huge one. I personally liked the explanation that Sith red crytsals were synthetic and forged in the trials of becoming a Sith. I selected the red crystal used in all my Bane curved sabers with this in mind.

Offline zed117

• Force User
  • The falcon
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 07:38:46 PM »
I like this idea for green and blue crystals, i still think they should have kept it synthetic for sith though.
May the force be with you, always.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 08:39:29 PM »
I don't like it; it makes saber crystals into 'mood ring' 'pet rocks' [younger folks may not remember those horrid fads from the '70s but us olde coots do]...

...but since the colour 'stays' after the builder 'imbues' it with their mood er I mean orientation towards the force or whatever then there should still be a large variety of already coloured saber crystals out there in old relic sabers if I understand this correctly that only NEW [previously unused] saber crystals are "clear"? So we can still have all the 'rainbow' in the EU er Legends they would just have to be 'reused' crystals?

Hmmmmm still not sure I like this but at least its not as bad as the Stupidsaber [tm].

To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Red Jedain

• No Force
  • Be mindful of the living force!!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 09:30:00 AM »
Why do they change the chrystal thing? I find it a bit silly.  :rolleyes:

:chewie::jedigreen: = Wookie jedi
Be mindful of the living force!!
And may the force be with you.

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 12:43:53 PM »
 : :angry:.....owwwwoohh, when I first saw that video I was hopeful it's was not true till I read it also. I'm still getting over my headache.....from that!

But it is a plausible idea for the the crystals to be found clear. :cry:

(   I guess we have to live in the real word and where bullies and corporation make their own rules.

I just don't see why they have to change "everything " they bought "something " that works. Not something that was failing and needed a reboot. They could have evolved this forward.

I guess like what they did with "X-Men" the characters don't matter just throw in whoever ,wherever ,whenever

Well it's theirs. I guess we should have seen the writing on the wall with the EU  and TCW thing :huh:   )

Back on topic........I guess it will work.  I don't see it as a problem within the hobby as most of the crystals are clear and we color them with the LEDs mostly.

What else  :sad:

I agree with both of you KOD and MadCow

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 02:05:13 PM »
Does this change not contradict the already canon episode of TCW when the younglings collect their crystals? It seems completely arbitrary and pointless. That being said I do use clear crystals and coloured LEDs

Offline Asoka Tano

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 02:33:19 PM »
Does this change not contradict the already canon episode of TCW when the younglings collect their crystals? It seems completely arbitrary and pointless. That being said I do use clear crystals and coloured LEDs

Yes, I have been wondering the same thing.
VV Kanan Jarrus ("Dume")
VV Obi Wan CW ("Negotiator")
VV Sith Acolyte

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 03:13:19 PM »
I watched that episode of The Clone wars after seeing this video yesterday,  and all of the crystals the younglings harvested were a pale,  white-ish, watery blue color.  Then,  after making their lightsabers in the next episode, two of the blades were green.

I also remember having read an EU novel called "Riptide" where Jaden Korr (from the Jedi Knight; Jedi academy games) took a lightsaber from a deranged clone of a New Jedi Order Jedi knight and remade the red crystal by removing the dark taint from it by focusing his will and nature of the Force into the crystal,  essentially cleansing it and restoring it to a natural, white colored state,  and finally turning the crystal yellow.  I skimmed though it again, and this takes place on pages 60-63 of that novel,  and even though it is considered to be a Legend series book,  now has some basis in canon.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 04:38:26 PM »
I use coloured crystals [gemstones mostly] so I guess I'll have to pretend I found a trove of old crystals on Raxxus...oh wait or maybe my Jedi character is bipolar and having mood swings when he builds mood rings er I mean sabers...hmmm its Sunday I'm feeling a bit Sentinel-ish today...Oops...yellow crystal [citrine]...maybe tomorrow I'll do a little Vaapad training and skirt the superconducting loop of the Dark Side a bit too closely and get in a foul mood and...Oops...purple crystal [amethyst]...

LOL
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 09:12:33 PM »
if this were true then how can anakin wield a green saber in AoTC?  the saber itself was green in AoTC ; this had nothing to do with anakin's connection to the force.

unless this 'new canon' is only just referring to the force-alignment of the person who made the saber.   in which case, once the white crystal turns green, then it stays green. and the saber's "crystal chamber" would show a green crystal.

it just depends on who built the saber and what their alignment to the force was, at the time of construction.

(anakin's graflex saber will always be blue, regardless that anakin turned evil later on, and regardless of who's holding it -- even Han Solo in ESB -- it's still blue, and always will be blue).

I can live with that.
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline Corbin_Das

• Force User
  • Keeper of the Killer Penny
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 03:28:38 PM »
 After watching the video a few times and reading up a little, my understanding is:
  • All "raw" crystals are now pretty much clear
  • They get their color based on the builder's connection to the Force
  • Once "imbued", they will keep that color, unless "cleansed". Not sure if the cleansing part is canon now though.

Not sure if there are still Adegan. Bondar, Luxum, Dantari, Hurrikaine or Rubat crystals now (to name a few). Maybe those crystals, and others, still possess the various attributes they've always had, but the crystal itself is not naturally colored? Just clear? Perhaps they are more "inclined" to be a certain color, and thus "call to" Force users that "correspond" to that color? I don't know.

Offline Jedi_Corellian

• Experienced Force User
  • There must be a balance between light and dark...
    • Kerwin Kels Productions
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 05:37:32 PM »
I'd always assumed that's how it's always been, to an extent. The force user would go to the Kyber mines, meditate and based on their character, would determine the color of the crystal.

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 04:42:55 AM »
This does open up some interesting possibilities.

For example, Windu's purple I assume would be from being blue but tinged with some dark-side red. It might be fitting for his character if it just came out like that, but another way of getting that colour would be if a Sith and Jedi apprentice were both battling to imbue the same crystal causing a deep purple if the Jedi won and a pink/purplish "Vader-red" if it went to the dark side. Good plot-fodder for a story.

retrousse