fiduciary

Author Topic: Could someone help me identify a kind of bolt?  (Read 1199 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Could someone help me identify a kind of bolt?
« on: October 24, 2016, 10:13:03 AM »
Random question, I know, but any help would be appreciated.

I have this compass cutter

and I've noticed that, with a bit of modification, the two bolts that hold the blade and the point to the frame would be almost perfect as a thing to use to press down a tactile switch. I've been running around google and eBay all day, and I have just run out of ideas as to what on earth is the proper type of name for this kind of bolt. Here are some pictures of the things

worse comes to the worst, I'll just use the ones I've got, even if it means getting another circle cutter, but I'd prefer not to. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.
Better late than never.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
Re: Could someone help me identify a kind of bolt?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 12:33:08 PM »
I'd venture to guess they are probably custom made for the tool. But, have you searched for "low profile hex head bolt" or "low profile square head bolt?"

If you are states based take a look at McMaster Carr.

And so I understand, are you thinking they could be used as "caps" for tact switches? If so, check this out:

Walk-Through: Decorative Brass Heads For Tactile Switches

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 02:16:27 PM »
I'd venture to guess they are probably custom made for the tool. But, have you searched for "low profile hex head bolt" or "low profile square head bolt?"

And so I understand, are you thinking they could be used as "caps" for tact switches? If so, check this out:

Walk-Through: Decorative Brass Heads For Tactile Switches

Yeah, I'm now pretty sure it's a custom made thing, sadly, although thanks for the low profile bolt suggestion. I'm pretty sure I could do the job with a regular small countersunk bolt, as well.

Well, I was thinking more an actuator rather than a cap. hang on, let me scribble something up real quick

something like that, where the plate end of the bolt presses down on the switch, then the bolt goes through a cover and is finished by a matching thumbscrew (which are fairly easy to get on ebay from M3 upwards)

that said, that standoff nut method of yours is brilliant, I really do like it. if I had a little more space in this build, I might give it a shot.
Better late than never.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 02:30:11 PM »
Ah, I see. i did something similar on my last build.

Countesunk bolt may work out nicely. Or just lop off the threads of a bolt and solder it to a washer or small disc.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 09:58:54 AM »
Clever. very clever. and intriguing, too. Is there a build log for that saber, I'd really like to see how it all goes together.
Better late than never.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 10:13:55 AM »

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 03:42:44 PM »
Cool, thanks! I look forwards to stealing all of your knowledge! I mean, learning as much as I can from that :wink:
Better late than never.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 08:39:29 PM »
Cool, thanks! I look forwards to stealing all of your knowledge! I mean, learning as much as I can from that :wink:

You can borrow whatever you like. Just gimme a shout out and I'm happy.  :grin:

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 06:08:54 AM »
I gave it a quick read through, brilliant piece of work you did there, especially the weathering. The only place I might take some inspiration from are those crystal chamber coils. I feel like my CC is a little too spartan right now, so I'm going to re-design it a little, and those coils are a simple but elegant way of adding to it.

Haven't quite decided on a new look, yet. but I'll definitely give you credit if I do.  :smiley:
Better late than never.

retrousse