fiduciary

Author Topic: The Heart of the Force - The Lightsaber of Darth Revan  (Read 18286 times)

Offline Obi-Wan Bologna

• No Force
Re: The Heart of the Force - The Lightsaber of Darth Revan
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
Yeah, isn't there a hydrospanner laying on the workbenches in the game? I can't totally remember but I'm fairly certain there is. Would be a cool little addition.

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 04:48:11 PM »
Oh, I don't recall.  There may have been in some locations, but not all of them for sure.

Offline C-3P0

• Formerly known as Dave316
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 05:28:41 PM »
First off, I just want to let you know I hadn't forgotten about this thread...I just wanted to give it the attention it deserves with such an epic review. I haven't had time to do anything lately, but I finally got a chance to check this out properly :)

Absolutely blown away by your entire review mate! I'll put my hand up too for Revan being one of my favourites. It was such a great read here to go on a journey throughout the Revan character. I have to say too, I really loved the pics. Very nice touch.

The saber itself...you already know how much I love it :D it's great to hear this entire story unfold with everyone that contributed in their own way. We certainly do have a wonderful community over here!

Except...no wait, PERFECT font choices here. Love the colour changing ability this saber has too, it's the perfect colours for this in my opinion. Excellent stuff all round, congrats on this wonderful saber!

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 12:55:34 PM »
Hey, thanks for the nice comment!  Let me respond to this properly.

First off, I just want to let you know I hadn't forgotten about this thread...I just wanted to give it the attention it deserves with such an epic review. I haven't had time to do anything lately, but I finally got a chance to check this out properly :)

Absolutely blown away by your entire review mate! I'll put my hand up too for Revan being one of my favourites. It was such a great read here to go on a journey throughout the Revan character. I have to say too, I really loved the pics. Very nice touch.

I've always had a tendency to prefer the weapons with a story behind them; a famous tool or weapon often takes on its own character, like Anduril in Lord of the Rings.  In the case of the Graflex sabers, that hilt has its own story, it's own surrounding mythos.  This hilt, though, the Revan hilt, is an interesting one for a different reason - it's the story of the man who wielded it, more than the weapon itself, that's so interesting to me.

The saber itself...you already know how much I love it :D it's great to hear this entire story unfold with everyone that contributed in their own way. We certainly do have a wonderful community over here!

That's the truth.  The community is a wonderful one to be a part of, and it's really remarkable how much people are willing to help each other.

Except...no wait, PERFECT font choices here. Love the colour changing ability this saber has too, it's the perfect colours for this in my opinion. Excellent stuff all round, congrats on this wonderful saber!

This one needed some special fonts, to be sure, and they really work well on the saber.  Alex did a great job with this hilt; the blue and red are really the two main colors I used in the games. 

Thanks for your comments, Dave.  It means a lot, coming from the Australian King of High End Sabers.   :D

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 10:11:36 AM »
Just wanted to make a quick post here, showing off the awesome saber tag SpaceWindu made for me!

This one is a nice addition, and as you can see, there's a blue and a red tint to the blade, blue on the upper edge of the tag and red on the bottom.  I'd like to give a shoutout to Space on this one, because this really allows me to show how proud I am of this saber.

Thanks, Space.  Wonderful work.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 12:13:58 PM »
Just wanted to make a quick post here, showing off the awesome saber tag SpaceWindu made for me!

This one is a nice addition, and as you can see, there's a blue and a red tint to the blade, blue on the upper edge of the tag and red on the bottom.  I'd like to give a shoutout to Space on this one, because this really allows me to show how proud I am of this saber.

Thanks, Space.  Wonderful work.

You are very welcome!  ;D

I'm glad you like the subtle color change on the blade (like you have in real life). It sort of reminds me of those delicious ice pops you could get as a kid with those colors  :D

Thank you for thinking of me when you needed a tag for this very special saber.

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 02:08:40 PM »
Well, it's a unique hilt, and it deserves only the best.   :D

The subtlety is remarkable.  It does kinda look like a bomb pop, lol, but hey, it works.  The purple text was a nice touch; red and blue combined. 

Offline Lucien Kane

• Master Force User
    • youtube channel
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 05:27:44 PM »
Gotta love when someone get's their holy grail build done. I'm super happy for you dude... Should get a retention screw in her quick and take her out for a duel!

That saber was made for dueling though seriously.

Anywho, gorgeous saber wonderful soundfonts, and fantastic breakdown of the story behind it. I'm a BIG fan.
\"A lightsaber - any weapon - only achieves worth in how it is wielded - in the effort, the struggle of one who holds it.

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 08:18:01 PM »
Gotta love when someone get's their holy grail build done. I'm super happy for you dude... Should get a retention screw in her quick and take her out for a duel!

That saber was made for dueling though seriously.

Anywho, gorgeous saber wonderful soundfonts, and fantastic breakdown of the story behind it. I'm a BIG fan.

...but, but... it's screen accurate!

Lol.  Thanks for the compliments.  I'm working on a custom sanded blade where I'll have friction do the work to hold it in place, so we won't need a retention screw.  It's a wonderful hilt, and it's really a lot of fun.

Thanks, Lucien.   :D

Offline C-3P0

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 09:47:51 PM »
I'm loving the Sabertag! Great job as always Space :) this is one of my favourite tags ;)

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 10:41:14 AM »
I'm loving the Sabertag! Great job as always Space :) this is one of my favourite tags ;)

That and Arod Megil, right?   ;D

Offline C-3P0

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 08:35:31 PM »

That and Arod Megil, right?   ;D

You know it ;)

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 11:52:44 AM »
It's finally finished.  I got the blade sanded down to a perfect fit, and it's a beauty.  Take a look.

The blade itself is a round-tip UltraEdge I got in a blade lot along with my Graflex bullet-tip UltraEdge blade and my stunt (MR) blades.  I've not had a great deal of experience with different styles of blades, but the UltraEdges are the best I've seen for blues and greens.  It does wash out the red slightly in bright environments, though not nearly as bad as I've seen on my other red sabers in the past - and besides, this lightsaber's so bright that the washout isn't a problem anyway.

As you can see, the blade looks great in natural (overcast) daylight.  It's a really nice ruby red at the base of the blade.

This one shows some of the washout, but as you can see, it's not nearly as bad as it could be.  The LED is just so bright, it isn't really an issue.  Besides, I never see the saber from this angle anyway.  :D

Here's an image taken in an interior room with no external light.  As you can see, there's no problem with washout in the dark, and it's a nice, vibrant saber.

While it's always interesting to have an exact reproduction of the lightsaber of the Dark Lord, that's not the only way the lightsaber appeared in canon.  Several times during the Mandalorian Wars, Revan is shown to have a blue-bladed lightsaber - the same weapon he would later use as the Dark Lord.  The blue on this saber is really wonderful, and highlighted by the blade.

I really like this image.  This is very close to what color it is in person, but that's always difficult to convey on camera.  It's a really nice sapphire blue, just like in the game.

There is a slight washout of the blue as well, but that's to be expected.  It isn't nearly as noticeable in person, however.

From the tip end.

And in complete darkness.  You can see how bright it is in this image; it really lights up the room.

With the addition of this new blade, this saber is officially complete.  I literally couldn't be happier with it; it's my unicorn come to life.

Thanks for looking, everyone. 

Offline Holt

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 01:08:57 PM »
Love it!

Offline C-3P0

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 06:24:58 PM »
Love it!

Seconded.

The blades are SO bright on this...and man that blue blade looks so incredible on this awesome hilt. Congrats once again James :)

retrousse