fiduciary

Author Topic: Green Cree in series  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Wickedreamz

• Experienced Force User
Green Cree in series
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:54:47 AM »
I plan on running 2 green Crees in series with a forward voltage of 3.58 each on 7.4v battery. When I input my numbers to calculate a resistor into http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz im getting a warning that my forward voltage is suspiciously high.

Should I be concerned with the setup or will i be okay?

Also, LED wizard recommends a 1ohm, 2w resistor for my setup. Should I try a different resistor with a higher ohm?

For reference im inputting 7.4v battery source, 7.16 forward voltage, and 1000 ma
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:56:31 AM by Wickedreamz »

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
Re: Green Cree in series
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 10:00:37 AM »
If you up the resistance, you are essentially lowering the current available and they will not be as bright.  Is there a soundboard in the mix, or is this a stunt?

Facebook: VVFB

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 10:26:36 AM »
I plan on running 2 green Crees in series with a forward voltage of 3.58 each on 7.4v battery. When I input my numbers to calculate a resistor into http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz im getting a warning that my forward voltage is suspiciously high.

Should I be concerned with the setup or will i be okay?

Also, LED wizard recommends a 1ohm, 2w resistor for my setup. Should I try a different resistor with a higher ohm?

For reference im inputting 7.4v battery source, 7.16 forward voltage, and 1000 ma

You actually do NOT want to use a 1ohm resistor. It will substantially lower the current. You want to get yourself a 0.2-0.25 ohm resistor from mouser (if you want to use a resistor), or use no resistor. Also, I use ledcalc.com to accurately calculate the actual resistance to get 1000mA at the voltage. It shows the actual needed resistance, and recommends the next highest resistor. Ignore the higher resistor value, because it would cut the current down to 240mA.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:35:06 AM by PhoenixJedi »

I'm the only saber smith ever mentioned in the NY Times: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35163
My Sabers: Avenger & Defender (TCSS Pair), Ravager (SF Vanquish)
Check out my profile for my website, sound font samples and pictures of sabers i've built!
Note: All sales from me, once shipped, are final.

Offline Wickedreamz

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
If you up the resistance, you are essentially lowering the current available and they will not be as bright.  Is there a soundboard in the mix, or is this a stunt?

Ill be using a PC 1.6. Thanks for the input and the link to the other led calculator.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 12:34:15 PM »
PC 1.6's do not require resistors for your blade led, the board has a built in current regulator for that. You can adjust the current in the configuration file, or if you have it, RICE. You will only need a resistor for the foc led.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:36:03 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline Wickedreamz

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 05:31:51 PM »
PC 1.6's do not require resistors for your blade led, the board has a built in current regulator for that. You can adjust the current in the configuration file, or if you have it, RICE. You will only need a resistor for the foc led.

Thanks QUI GON. The PC 1.6 im going to use is the one I bought from you awhile back haha

retrousse