fiduciary

Author Topic: Help with R.I.C.E. port connection / PRIZM / DarthRyo Chassis  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Modano1509

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Hey there fellow saber smiths!

Working on my first and I've run into a snag. I've got the 2.0 Graflex using a PRIZM with Darth Ryo's chassis which doesn't have space for the 3.5mm port for my R.I.C.E. connection. I've noticed certain people using a different style plug; one that looks flat with 3 different pins. (I can't find the video for the life of me right now) I was curious if anyone knew what connector(s) they were using, both for the USB and the R.I.C.E. connection...

Thanks in advance!!

Offline TrypWyr

• Master Force User
Re: Help with R.I.C.E. port connection / PRIZM / DarthRyo Chassis
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 04:43:29 PM »
The only person I can think of off the top of my head that uses something like that is Yoda:

FX-SABERS Graflex Lightsaber Collectors set - The Force Awakens tribute -

That said, just about any 3-pin connector should work...

Offline Kappy79

• Force User
  • "...." - Luke Skywalker ,TFA
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 10:55:08 AM »
I used these: Amazon.com: Breadboard Jumper Wire 75pcs pack: Computers & Accessories

And their female counterparts. I trimmed to length then heatshrunk the connectors together(on both male and female side) to make a connector. They worked great. I didn't use these specific ones. I had some lying around I got at an electronics store, but wanted to use the link to give a better idea on what I meant.

They work great!

Offline Modano1509

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 11:01:11 AM »
Those look awesome!! Was it easy to find the female part? I'm a little bit of a greenhorn with this..

Offline Josste_Willlitt

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 01:21:32 PM »
Hey there fellow saber smiths!

Working on my first and I've run into a snag. I've got the 2.0 Graflex using a PRIZM with Darth Ryo's chassis which doesn't have space for the 3.5mm port for my R.I.C.E. connection. I've noticed certain people using a different style plug; one that looks flat with 3 different pins. (I can't find the video for the life of me right now) I was curious if anyone knew what connector(s) they were using, both for the USB and the R.I.C.E. connection...

Thanks in advance!!

I'm in the same position.
My Plan is to use a 3 pin JST connector such as 2 Pairs of Micro JST, 3 Pin Connectors | eBay
could then hack together a USB lead or buy a USB to 3 pin JST lead

Offline Kappy79

• Force User
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 03:15:04 PM »
Those look awesome!! Was it easy to find the female part? I'm a little bit of a greenhorn with this..

They were both available at the same electronic store, right next to each other, but I bet a quick amazon search will find them. Also 3 pin jst will work great too. The pins in the bread board are about the same size.

Let me know if you want a pic

Offline Wickedreamz

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 06:21:37 PM »
Maybe micro servo connectors. They come three pin in black, red, and white wire color combo

Hardware & Accessories>Wires & Connectors>Servo Wire, Plugs & Accessories>Servo

Offline Kappy79

• Force User
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 11:17:35 PM »
Maybe micro servo connectors. They come three pin in black, red, and white wire color combo

Hardware & Accessories>Wires & Connectors>Servo Wire, Plugs & Accessories>Servo

Those aren't a bad idea, but they pretty much only available in 22 awg, which is thicker than you want for inside a saber. The manuals recommend 26 or 28 for the Prizm.

The wire on the bread board connection seems to be 28, but mine wasn't labeled. It's about the same diameter at the 26 I used with the insulation on (slightly less) and the wire is a little bit thinner than the 26 when it's stripped.

I also really like the fact that you can pick whatever colors you want with the bread board.

retrousse