fiduciary

Author Topic: SID Saber Vaccum Metalize Interest Thread  (Read 5855 times)

Offline korbanth

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
Re: SID Saber Vaccum Metalize Interest Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 01:28:41 AM »
I hope your right. I will work on getting you a loaner prototype...

Offline Khal

• Formerly known as Khal1993
  • Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 02:59:29 AM »
I hope your right. I will work on getting you a loaner prototype...

Sounds great! I look forward to it! :)

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 04:22:08 AM »
I'm interested but is this interest thread mod/admin approved? Sounds a lot like a run to me since you'd be getting our sabers and having the treatment done. I guess if Randy is going to do it as part of his run, it shouldn't be a problem though. I'm interested to see what he has to say

Offline Noir1990

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 04:59:23 AM »
I was thinking of the vaccum metalizing when I realized we haven't any blade plug right now, right? I would be great to have a vaccum metalized blade plug for this beauty so that everything fits togehter. MR style would be nice.

Offline Khal

• Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 06:32:53 AM »
I'm interested but is this interest thread mod/admin approved? Sounds a lot like a run to me since you'd be getting our sabers and having the treatment done. I guess if Randy is going to do it as part of his run, it shouldn't be a problem though. I'm interested to see what he has to say

This thread is simply to see how many people would be interested in having their hilts finished to match the MR replica. It is certainly not a run as I am not making any hilts.

I haven't requested for korbanth to send me all of the SID hilts when they are finished either. I mentioned in the SID thread that I was having my personal hilt vaccum metalised and my inbox blew up with other members who wanted the same thing. Instead of me answering all of their PM's, I started this thread. If someone wants to have their hilt sent to me before it goes to them, then that is up to them.

Korbanth has already said that he will work on a loaner prototype (hopefully of just the main body) to see what the results are like.

It's completely up to him what he wants to do. Either way, when my SID arrives I will be doing it to mine.

Offline riverr02

• No Force
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 08:42:30 AM »
Assuming the prototype turns out well and both Korbanth and the saber smiths who would then work on the sabers are all cool with it all, I'd totally be up for it.

Offline korbanth

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 09:45:56 AM »
well, we have two experts in vaccum metalizing saying conflicting reports - 1 says it can be done, and the other saying it wont work at all...so of course, I am hoping it can be done.  I dont know the costs to have it done over in your part of the world, but its about $40 each here if they would have done it...but I really dont know how one would come out until we do one.

like all items that get vacu-metalized, the surface has to be perfect, and devoid of any blemishes, because when you vacu-metalize something, if there are any imperfections, you'll see them, so prep work might be needed or its a waste of time. 

Chrome dipping may allow for a better finish and more forgiving if your item has any blemishes, but costs more...so this is all speculation until one can get done.

Offline 97th Acolyte

• Master Force User
  • [insert witty comment here]
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 10:24:32 AM »
It'd be interesting to compare a chromed SID with a VM-ed SID, and see which works better. :/
Proud owner of:       JSK1 - Jaina Solo Kotobukiya lightsaber - created by Bombarta
Harp's Starkiller/Kylo Ren fusion - Prizm                      
Deadpool's Deathstick - CS2.5 Reveal, JQsabers               
JK-Sabers Battle damaged/Reveal Maul - Empty             
US Raven
Korbanth:
 Darth Maul - Empty
 Duke - NBv2, JQSabers
 Qui Gon - NBv2, MasterSabers

Offline Khal

• Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 10:55:53 AM »
well, we have two experts in vaccum metalizing saying conflicting reports - 1 says it can be done, and the other saying it wont work at all...so of course, I am hoping it can be done.  I dont know the costs to have it done over in your part of the world, but its about $40 each here if they would have done it...but I really dont know how one would come out until we do one.

like all items that get vacu-metalized, the surface has to be perfect, and devoid of any blemishes, because when you vacu-metalize something, if there are any imperfections, you'll see them, so prep work might be needed or its a waste of time. 

Chrome dipping may allow for a better finish and more forgiving if your item has any blemishes, but costs more...so this is all speculation until one can get done.

I'll leave the decision up to you Randy. I really don't mind waiting till my SID arrives and just doing it to my own hilt. I just thought it coudl save people money if they all go in one. Let me know your final decision and whatever it is, I will respect :)

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 11:01:43 AM »
khal
im just wondering if this finish can be applied to alluminium sabers? does it add much "thickness" to the hilt like chroming does?

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Fleethund

• Formerly djrhymees
  • Force User
  • "Look at the *size* of that thing!"
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 01:38:56 PM »
Khal,
Perhaps Im way off now but this is simply an idea and Im not asking you to do this but I was thinking like this, Do you own or perhaps can you get a hold of an SS type metalpipe or some kind of similar item which is the same material as the SID and let them try the method out on that item first just as a sample?
I know we still need to test it on a SID hilt in the end but this would be a great way to test the companys skills? I mean just to see how they get the colours and perhaps get a first glimpse at a possible colour/finish outcome? This way we could get to see if the method really works and that they really can achieve what they claim to be able to do.
It's not that I don't trust you or the company but since we have Vacumet on one side and VMC Limited on the other perhaps its better to test this method on a cheaper item first? (sorry btw If Im not aware of actual SS metal cost)
But It would indeed be satisfying to see If they are right in their claim and I think it would certainly clearify things here at the forums a bit  ^-^
Anyway, remember this is simply just an idea from my side so Im not asking you to do something you're not happy with here, but could this perhaps work? What do you think?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:53:36 PM by Fleethund »

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 02:59:44 PM »
also wont all prep work need done on the hilts regarding installation etc before any finishes are put on to it?

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Khal

• Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 03:05:01 PM »
also wont all prep work need done on the hilts regarding installation etc before any finishes are put on to it?

That's right. I believe most people will use the led bezels as the switches anyways so in terms of the main body, I feel, won't need much prep. But that's just my plan.

Offline Khal

• Master Force User
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 03:09:20 PM »
Khal,
Perhaps Im way off now but this is simply an idea and Im not asking you to do this but I was thinking like this, Do you own or perhaps can you get a hold of an SS type metalpipe or some kind of similar item which is the same material as the SID and let them try the method out on that item first just as a sample?
I know we still need to test it on a SID hilt in the end but this would be a great way to test the companys skills? I mean just to see how they get the colours and perhaps get a first glimpse at a possible colour/finish outcome? This way we could get to see if the method really works and that they really can achieve what they claim to be able to do.
It's not that I don't trust you or the company but since we have Vacumet on one side and VMC Limited on the other perhaps its better to test this method on a cheaper item first? (sorry btw If Im not aware of actual SS metal cost)
But It would indeed be satisfying to see If they are right in their claim and I think it would certainly clearify things here at the forums a bit  ^-^
Anyway, remember this is simply just an idea from my side so Im not asking you to do something you're not happy with here, but could this perhaps work? What do you think?

Yeah, that's a very good point. Only I'll need to know the exact grade/type of SS that is being used in the manufacturing process. And buying a piece solid, would most likely have better results since it wouldn't have been cast. This is why I wanted just the main body from korbanth.

Nevertheless, I think with the way this thread has been going (which is invaluable by the way) I may just have to test this on my own SID hilt and whatever the results are will determine what happens next. Also it's korbanth's decision whether he wants to go down this route through the UK, because there may be somewhere local to him that can provide this.

It's a waiting game...but I'm glad this thread has sparked great questions.

Offline korbanth

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 03:29:57 PM »
I'd love to see the Vacu-metalizing work, because it sounds like I could take care of US saber owners and you could help those outside of the USA who want their units VM'd - if it works.

I will still try to get my vacumet to try one anyways just to see if maybe they just dont understand what I have here...When I was there, I saw car bumpers getting vm'd, so why can you vm a metal car bumper and not a SS metal tube?   those questions and more will be answered.

I am also consulting with a chrome plating plating place  (dont know if its the same as VM process or not) - so I will check out options within 1 week.

also, the bevels, with red/green LED's might not be usable as switches. I was told they have to be flat on the bottom and glued into place because there will be no room unless you cut into the .725 inner diameter pipe and it goes down into precious space you need for your electonics and/or blade...so I am assuming these can be epoxied into place, but I just dont know yet...what I do know is they are costing me $5 extra per saber...

retrousse