fiduciary

Author Topic: LEGACY – The Killer Penny tribute run  (Read 44692 times)

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
Re: LEGACY – The Killer Penny tribute run
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2014, 03:48:40 PM »
Update time. (click the pics for larger images)

No, that's not the actual grip, it's my test piece.  But you can see how the brass endcap screws off, the grip slides off and you have access to the chassis can.  It's coming along nicely I think.

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2014, 05:34:01 PM »
Progress is looking Great !
Thanks for taking the time to share with us.  Progress pics are always appreciated.

Offline basalter

• Experienced Force User
    • A pinch of Salter
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2014, 07:57:44 PM »
Wonderful, wonderful workmanship (naturally) Shiver down my spine when I saw posts on this topic! Cant wait to see the blade end! Seeing all that copper on your facebook page was pretty amazing!

Offline Sanjuro

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Sanjuro Systems
    • Sanjuro Systems
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2014, 01:04:10 AM »
Excellent!

Respectfully,
Sanjuro
SANJURO SYSTEMS - Custom Lightsaber Stands, Custom Chassis Disks for Lightsaber builds, and other related items.

My Business - Home

Japan Lightsaber Dueling Guild, Founding Member

Offline Acerocket

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2014, 04:53:12 PM »
Spent an hour or so on Sunday (yeah, it was a holiday weekend but the wife and kids were under the weather so I stole a few hours to work) cuting and counterboring some brass tubing.

Put the part on the fixture jig.

Come back 2 hours later.

Yes, two hours to profile the part.  Slot, drill and tap 5 holes, then turn a round od into a 15 raised/15 grooved fluted profile.  It takes a .05" diameter endmill to cut the .025" radius of the bottom of the flute groove (at 3 incher per minute of travel over a 3.7" long part).  Then a lot of cutting with a 1/8" ball end mill.

And just for fun, I gave my personal sber's grip a quick trip to the buffing wheel to clean it up.

Offline Wildcard

• Master Force User
  • This is an ex-parrot.
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2014, 05:00:38 PM »
That's coming out awesome Watt; I'm envious of those who are in this tribute run! :)

Offline GusManB

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2014, 05:15:39 PM »
Wow Shiny, vary nice!

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2014, 05:31:13 PM »
Such Beauty  :o

Offline basalter

• Experienced Force User
    • A pinch of Salter
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2014, 09:36:31 PM »
Fascinating, as well as beautiful! Whilst Corbins original Pennys' hand-grip is a part from an antique fire extinguisher, and unique for that, this piece being an (excellent) attempt at replicating gives it a look that is very much the same, but different, if that makes sense. It has a slightly more polished, exacting, feel. And I suspect that is what we may find with our Legacies. Replicas in every way, but the Penny will still remain unique. I realise also that the weight saving grooves are not being machined in the blade holder section, as well as the Penny itself is at this moment getting an ever evolving upgrade. But I believe even if the Killer Penny stayed in its original form, that it would still stand apart from the Legacies. It seems a little more organic, which, as years of holding and wearing prove, is no great surprise. But it is more than that. Though the same artist is now recreating his work, he is using upgraded tools, and now works sure-footedly. The Pennys design is an old friend, slowly created, recut and further shaved, until finally it stood, approved by both designer and machinist. Now revisited with upgraded software, tools using new technology, and with a few extra years experience under his belt, the Legacy will be a work of wonder, a beautiful homage, and a fascinating tribute to an iconic saber. But it will be also be a different beast. There can only be, as a similar saying goes, one Penny.
(Rereading this as a post I realise it might sound like I am downgrading the Legacy. This is so far from the truth. I am fascinated by the skill shown in Erics' work, and just found it interesting to see how an artist, even reproducing past work, cannot help but RE- create that piece, anew if you will. Apologies Eric, if it seemed disrespectful.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:44:37 PM by basalter »

Offline Corbin_Das

• Force User
  • Keeper of the Killer Penny
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »
 Looking great!

I'm really looking forward to seeing these complete. It's cool (and a bit humbling) to see all the affection for the design. There are some improvements these will have over the original setup too. Strength from having the blade emitter section screw onto the neck (similar to the K3GR1) is one of the most notable. The original just slides over and is held in place with a couple screws. It's still fairly solid, but not like the Legacy run will be. How many folks knew that "Legacy" was SUPPOSED to be the name of the Penny, but Erik and I just kept calling it the Killer Penny because of all the copper?

Basalter, I don't think you came across as disrespectful, but I might be a bit biased, since I'm the "Keeper of the Penny". LOL

Oh, I found out earlier this year that the grip section was actually from an old torch and not a fire extinguisher, like I had been told. Still rare though, as my attempts to find another have not been very productive (or I didn't have the money at the time).

Offline basalter

• Experienced Force User
    • A pinch of Salter
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2014, 01:16:53 PM »
  The original just slides over and is held in place with a couple screws. It's still fairly solid, but not like the Legacy run will be. How many folks knew that "Legacy" was SUPPOSED to be the name of the Penny, but Erik and I just kept calling it the Killer Penny because of all the copper?

Oh, I found out earlier this year that the grip section was actually from an old torch and not a fire extinguisher, like I had been told. Still rare though, as my attempts to find another have not been very productive (or I didn't have the money at the time).

More fascinating information about the Penny Corbin, thanks, keep it coming. I think it compliments the Legacy posts really nicely. Hope this is not derailing the Legacy topic, but I found this ("Max Sievert" torch,first on the page), Extreme Metal Polishing | Products for Sale
and assume it is the torch you mentioned Corbin. Just so incredible to see this piece in its original form! It just makes the whole history, right up to the Legacies construction, seem so rich. Similar to the enthusiasm and efforts to replicate classic props and parts from the original trilogy. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:21:27 PM by basalter »

Offline JediWizard

• Master Force User
  • You cant have a droid Phil
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2014, 02:07:30 PM »
awesome find there basalter, awesome torch

Offline Acerocket

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2014, 02:49:18 PM »
Wow, that torch looks like a pretty close match.

Offline Pfockerchief

• Master Force User
  • (Fa-ker-chief)
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2014, 05:54:30 AM »
Getting anxious and excited  :D
Yoda Vintage GFIV, GFV
LDM Obi Bronzium Reveal
LDM MKVI ROTJ PC2 V2 #27
SP/LDM Sid
SJ Obi Romans Reveal
GCS CF6 CEX Asc#14/PC2 Asc AE/Custom Badaxx
OR Adi-Galia CF6
VV Luke Hero/Tempest/Wraths

Offline basalter

• Experienced Force User
    • A pinch of Salter
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2014, 06:59:32 AM »
Get even more excited by visiting Wats Facebook page! (Hope this is not taking liberties Erik.) It is under Orbital Machining, and I recommend it purely as an exercise in witnessing an artist producing beautiful work, let alone the fact they are light sabers!

retrousse