fiduciary

Author Topic: Is this possible: 3A Power from NB using 2x PEx  (Read 6524 times)

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
Re: Is this possible: 3A Power from NB using 2x PEx
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 01:29:19 PM »
It was a joke :)).

However, what I can say is that using the 1ohm eliminates the false swing problem which was what I was suggesting to XSaberX to eliminate his issue.

Facebook: VVFB

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 01:34:24 PM »
It was a joke :)).

However, what I can say is that using the 1ohm eliminates the false swing problem which was what I was suggesting to XSaberX to eliminate his issue.

It used to be true though! 1 ohm does work however. If he wants the max power the LEDs can take though, he needs to do the calculation for exact resistance and go to mouser for the resistor.

I'm the only saber smith ever mentioned in the NY Times: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35163
My Sabers: Avenger & Defender (TCSS Pair), Ravager (SF Vanquish)
Check out my profile for my website, sound font samples and pictures of sabers i've built!
Note: All sales from me, once shipped, are final.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 02:14:58 PM »
I believe that is what he is already doing and is having false swings. 

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 03:06:28 PM »
Would this have any impact on the false swing triggers? For instance I have a NB2 powering a tri-cree RGrB. I am using the red for FOC (with a .54ohm resistor). The green and blue are wired in parallel with a .25ohm resistor. If I don't use the resistor for the 2 primary dice, I start getting false swings even adjusting the drive. However using the resistor limits the current, so that the max the 2 ever pull is about 1500-1600ma - without the resistor I can get 2000ma but with false swings. I'd like to drive them fully at 2000ma (1000ma each), and I wonder if splitting the die with this method will help at all?

Do me a favor. Plug in the green die only to a 1000mA source and check the voltage it's running at?

I'm the only saber smith ever mentioned in the NY Times: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35163
Check out my profile for my website, sound font samples and pictures of sabers i've built!

Offline XsaberX

• Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 04:32:07 PM »
Thanks for all the help! I'm not going to be able to work with this for a bit of time - probably a week at least, if not more. I'm also not going to tear down the saber again, especially since it's working fine, until I'm all set with a PEX and such before doing further testing. I'll report back if I find anything new for sure.

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 05:26:32 PM »
Thanks for all the help! I'm not going to be able to work with this for a bit of time - probably a week at least, if not more. I'm also not going to tear down the saber again, especially since it's working fine, until I'm all set with a PEX and such before doing further testing. I'll report back if I find anything new for sure.

Well what I'm thinking is you have a green die with a very high fV. Some of them can be around 4v. One of the reasons i like to use rebels.

Offline XsaberX

• Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 05:54:40 PM »

Well what I'm thinking is you have a green die with a very high fV. Some of them can be around 4v. One of the reasons i like to use rebels.

I hear you - it's a good thought. I did originally use a tri rebel RGrB and then a tri cree BBW, and then finally switched to the tri cree RGrB - If I lowered resistance on any of these LEDs enough to get close to 2amps total, I would get false swings coming in pretty quickly - it's even true with a different saber I have running 2 red die (meaning I have to keep the amperage at around 1600ma or less, or false swings start up within a few minutes) - but I'll try to get more specific with metering and matching the forward voltage exactly, and also see if the PEX will actually allow driving without the false swings, when I have the chance.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 05:56:16 PM by XsaberX »

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 06:57:41 PM »

I've found exactly the opposite.  We had significantly more false swings when we were using rebels than we do now using the Tri-CREE XP-E2s with single cell solutions.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:01:14 PM by LUMINARA UNDULI »

Offline Justintmars

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • There is some peace?
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 08:47:15 PM »

I've found exactly the opposite.  We had significantly more false swings when we were using rebels than we do now using the Tri-CREE XP-E2s with single cell solutions.

I agree, i have done around 60 rebels in the Prizm installs I been doing with a tenergy 2600 mah batt. W/ Tri rebels and running color mixes w/ blue and green you have to run the combined drive to under 1500 mah or you start to get random swings only a few minutes into use.
Tried one w/ a Tri  cree..
Can drive it higher and run longer w/ the same set up

Offline XsaberX

• Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 09:23:37 PM »

I agree, i have done around 60 rebels in the Prizm installs I been doing with a tenergy 2600 mah batt. W/ Tri rebels and running color mixes w/ blue and green you have to run the combined drive to under 1500 mah or you start to get random swings only a few minutes into use.

I third this - although my sample size is much smaller than you guys ;)

Does the Prizm (and I guess CS2 also) have a on-board PEX for each color channel? This would save me from an unnecessary attempt with a PEX on the NB2...

Offline Justintmars

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • There is some peace?
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 09:35:10 PM »

Does the Prizm (and I guess CS2 also) have a on-board PEX for each color channel? This would save me from an unnecessary attempt with a PEX on the NB2...
It does!

Offline XsaberX

• Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 09:51:40 PM »

It does!

Thanks

Offline Merik

• Force User
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 08:05:59 PM »
not that pad, see below. The best is really to stack a PEx transistor on top of the on-board one, it's more elegant and a huge space saver.

Does this also work to double-up with the onboard PeX on PC3/CF7 for channels 2 & 3 (without CeX)? What if I wanted to put a 4A draw on one of these channels?  If I had good battery and cooling solutions, could the board handle it 7+ volts at over 4 amps?

(Burnt toast here I come.)
You are unique, just like everyone else.

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 09:59:29 PM »
you could, technically speaking but the watt dissipated would be very high. If you have the right cooling solution why not.

retrousse