fiduciary

Author Topic: Episode 7 Trailer: "Return of the Glass Eye Graflex"- Updated with Screenshot  (Read 28189 times)

Offline KI-ADI-MUNDI

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • "TRUST THE PROCESS"
Glass eye or not, seeing that Graflex made excitement run through me like a bolt of lightning, waking up that kid that sleeps in all of us. I mean if you didn't get a thrill watching that new trailer, you are dead inside.  I'm so tired of listening to those cynics out there spitting venom on every tiny bit of minutia about these new films.  For God's sake, we've gotten our wish - Lucas has passed on Star Wars to a group of people that rank amongst the most talented creative minds in all the film industry.  That very same talented group has a love for the first trilogy, a hate for the prequels and an almost unlimited pile of cash to continue one of the best sci-fi stories ever told.  Just a couple of years ago, no one could even conceive of a scenario where this was possible - Lucas was going to die with Star Wars clutched in his cold dead hand.  Now he's done this amazing about-face and given it back to everyone.  I really can't think of it working out better for all of us.  Now of course nothing is perfect, but I'm planning to watch these movies with the intent of enjoying every second.  I think if you go in to see these films pre-determined that they are going to be "Han shot second bad", then you are going to get your wish.  What a shame that would be.
Really wish we had a like button...

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

Offline DarkJediKnight

• Master Force User
  • InUmbrisPotestasEst--In the shadows there is power
Really watching that trailer frame by frame I see what people are saying. You can see the grooves in the rubber grips near the pommel section but yet it definitely appears to have a glass eye instead of the 2nd button near the emitter. Interesting combination.  :D
MR Darth Vader ESB(stock)
MR Darth Vader ESB(converted PC2)                                  
MR Anakin AOTC "Darkside version"(converted CF5)
Yoda Replica Graflex V(CF4)
MR Anakin AOTC(converted PC3)
Hasbro Anakin ROTS(converted PC2)
Parks Replica Graflex ESB/TFA w/glass eye(CF5)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
There is another silver band on the lip of the emitter.  On a standard flash, there is only a black plastic lip; graflex adaptors are also only black on the rim.

click

Edit: And there's no flare of the rings. the flare is the guide to keep the bracing rings in line.

I'm guessing they just had their prop department make up a bladeholder and it had a slightly exaggerated lip there (the stock plastic parts do have that lip there as well).  But the one thing I wanted to point out is that the bunny ears are correct.  I can see the flanges in that picture. 

Offline Dimes

• Experienced Force User
  • Formerly known as JMurphy
Just on the redone voice over by Mark Hamill, nothing is changed in terms of lines spoken, what they redid can only be heard as a sort of reverb, if you listen really close in the trailer you can hear the line repeated; that's mark doing the line again. So in short nothings changed, just adding emphasis I guess.
Of Course I know him, he's me!

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
There is another silver band on the lip of the emitter.  On a standard flash, there is only a black plastic lip; graflex adaptors are also only black on the rim.

click

Edit: And there's no flare of the rings. the flare is the guide to keep the bracing rings in line.

I'm guessing they just had their prop department make up a bladeholder and it had a slightly exaggerated lip there (the stock plastic parts do have that lip there as well).  But the one thing I wanted to point out is that the bunny ears are correct.  I can see the flanges in that picture.

Indeed they are.  Looking at it again, I can see the ring flange - it's on the side and is partially obscured by the s-curve, but it's there.  I am, however, now 100% sure that there's a glass eye in there.  If you cant your head a little to the left and look at it vertical, you can see there's a circular/spherical shape in the bezel.  You can also see the rest of the graflex hardware on the dorsal side... including the beertab post, so it's not the dagobah version. ;)

click

Edit: reasonably convinced that this is a flash gun.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:30:57 AM by eastern57 »

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
Hello everyone

I wanted to wait to weigh in on this but I have over 35 frame by frame screen shots of this in various resolutions
so here is what I see which in my opinion is represented best (or closest to) the Visual Dictionary saber.

Standard stock Graflex head unit with glass eye (beer tab and ring flanges intact, standard plastic flash insert with lip)

Clamp with Chrome band and Circut Card (Silver or 2 tone unknown but it looks 2 tone in light adjusted pics)

ESB Style Notched Grip Bottom with Silver fasteners and KBold D-ring (similar to hero prop)
(no signs of additional ESB second top grip screws)

Of course I will be offering to produce this style in my Graflex conversion if requested 8)

So the Movie is called "The Force Awakens" but I'll always know it as ROTG (Retrun of the Graflex)
It also is in line with the Concept are images with the blue blade and pseudo looking graflex in the drawing ;) ;)
Star Wars Episode V Concept Art Leaked |

Offline Cad-Bayne

• Formerly known as Bayne-Fett
  • Master Force User
  • "Dead or Alive, you’re worth Credits to me"
Omg!!!!! Yeeeeessssss

Offline zed117

• Force User
  • The falcon
good no Textured tape on the hilt, I was never a fan.
May the force be with you, always.

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography

because it was NEVER THERE on a screen used saber... never. I don't understand that textured tape.

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User

because it was NEVER THERE on a screen used saber... never. I don't understand that textured tape.

:)) You and me Both scottjua  :)) it can't be said enough, the textured tape never shows up on screen.

From my research and understanding the textured tape was added to the dagobah prop that has been seen
in the museum collection that went on tour and was typically shown on display next to the ROTS hilt.
(I believe it is the same hilt on parts of sw, which was the hilt in ESB during the dagobah shoot (missing top red button)
but on screen it had a flat band ::)

Now when you see the hilt that went on tour it is noticeable that the tape was not as old as the hilt its self as the dagobah hilt
is very rusted and looks to have gotten wet a few times and we all know that tape would not last in water as it has a paper backing.

However it is definitely older looking than the ROTS model it accompanied during the tour. :-\

Now of course any of us that do props can weather things but the real question is when did that image and hilt first show up.

Personally I think it was added to a dagobah hilt simply for tying it to the ROTS unit for the tour.
Or vice versa, this hilt was in someones archive ;) and was used as a model for the ROTS and thus it made sense to show case them together.

We are talking over 10 years ago now but if memory serves me correctly the textured band was showing
up long before ROTS (or even TPM) was going to be released.

The mystery of the textured tape continues :o

Offline Habbena

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • "I See You Have Constructed a New Lightsaber"
    • Illuminated Saber Design and Concepts

:)) You and me Both scottjua  :)) it can't be said enough, the textured tape never shows up on screen.

From my research and understanding the textured tape was added to the dagobah prop that has been seen
in the museum collection that went on tour and was typically shown on display next to the ROTS hilt.
(I believe it is the same hilt on parts of sw, which was the hilt in ESB during the dagobah shoot (missing top red button)
but on screen it had a flat band ::)

Now when you see the hilt that went on tour it is noticeable that the tape was not as old as the hilt its self as the dagobah hilt
is very rusted and looks to have gotten wet a few times and we all know that tape would not last in water as it has a paper backing.

However it is definitely older looking than the ROTS model it accompanied during the tour. :-\

Now of course any of us that do props can weather things but the real question is when did that image and hilt first show up.

Personally I think it was added to a dagobah hilt simply for tying it to the ROTS unit for the tour.
Or vice versa, this hilt was in someones archive ;) and was used as a model for the ROTS and thus it made sense to show case them together.

We are talking over 10 years ago now but if memory serves me correctly the textured band was showing
up long before ROTS (or even TPM) was going to be released.

The mystery of the textured tape continues :o

Yes.  I can attest that the textured tape was "around" well before ROTS.  I remember building sink tube graflex's and the textured tape was part of tutorials going around for building an ESB as well as in the "kits".  Many will probably remember the "kits" you could order.  Was it "John's Spot on the Web" and "Blastech"?  Boy its hard to believe we will be approaching 20 years since these things were started!

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
We need need a Star Wars deleted scenes spin off to show where it came from
of course with the acronym M.O.T.T. ;)

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
Ok, so -

This is basically the Dagobah version of the saber, right?  Glass eye, silver fasteners, notched grips (likely 6 of them, to match every version of the saber except the ANH), the Kobold D-ring, and the circuit card.  That's interesting - I always much preferred the glass eye to the red button. 

Of course, this does appear to have the beer tab, unlike the Dagobah saber, but everything else seems to match.

Interesting.  It's an ANH / ESB hybrid saber, kind of what those of us with an ANH saber have if we switch the bottom 3-cell can to an ESB style, with six grips and Kobold D-ring.  In that sense, I already have a replica of this!

Offline SuperJedi_Norway

• No Force
mark confirmed at a panel that he did re-record the line (he may not naturally sound the same, but he is a voice actor) and JJ told him that a combo of both the rotj and new recorded lines were used.

Waitadoggoneminute...

So now not only is Disney 'dissing' the EU into 'non-canon' but JJ is now using new recordings of Hamill for 'adding lines' that were NEVER spoken in the REAL OT into flashbacks from ROTJ to change what IS still canon - the movies 'history' - to serve his new version of events???

Thank the Force that Sir Alec Guiness isn't still alive for JJ to make him trash classic dialogue for JJ's convenience too.

Bad...VERY bad. I've got a "Han Shot Second" BAD feeling about this development...

:(

What Mark Hamill recorded was the ecco in the back after the OT lines. The spoken words is from ROTJ, the ecco is the 2014/15 recordings. I'm 95% sure this is used for the trailer only. Much like how Sir Alec Guinness dialog were used in the Episode 3 teaser.
Who's the more foolish; the fool or the fool who follows him? - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Offline Habbena

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • "I See You Have Constructed a New Lightsaber"
    • Illuminated Saber Design and Concepts
For those that are looking to get their Graflex as close to TFA as possible for the premiere: New pic posted today that gives some more details on the TFA Graflex. First confirmation of circuit card.   Looks like the only major change is the glass eye instead of 2nd Red button. 

retrousse