fiduciary

Author Topic: OLD BUT IMPORTANT NEWS, New MHS V2  (Read 5984 times)

Offline Justintmars

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • There is some peace?
OLD BUT IMPORTANT NEWS, New MHS V2
« on: April 18, 2014, 07:26:32 AM »
MHSv2 coming soon..

Very exciting!

Offline Lord Bane

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • LB CUSTOM SABERS
Re: OLD BUT IMPORTANT NEWS, New MHS V2
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 07:54:28 AM »
That's great news!

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 07:56:54 AM »
Very Exciting !!! to say the least .

I can't wait to see what comes out in designs!

It sounds like a good thing.

Offline Link

• Formerly known as airframe31
  • Master Force User
  • Soundfont Artist & SIG Maker :)
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 08:43:12 AM »
I was wondering when this might happen :) It's exactly as the post says, hilt electronics are so much smaller now so these days, smaller is better :)

Offline Professor Huyang

• Formerly known as TyFighter
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 10:05:00 AM »
I saw that the store has a MHS V1 section, so it should pop up any day.

I am greatly looking forward to this, even if it means I have to completely re-engineer my chassis system.
"Many years I have been on this ship teaching many a Jedi before you, and I will continue teaching many a Jedi after you. Call me what you want, but inside my memory banks I contain a record of every lightsaber ever made, and the Jedi who fashioned it."
―Huyang

Offline shiro

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 10:36:03 AM »
I am about to order, now I will just wait a bit longer. Can't wait to see what is in store!

Offline Vercify

• Master Force User
  • rawr
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 11:20:44 AM »
I saw that the store has a MHS V1 section, so it should pop up any day.

I am greatly looking forward to this, even if it means I have to completely re-engineer my chassis system.

And now I need to put my MHS chassis development on hold! Ugh, I was just making progress too lol

Offline Arryck Corso

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 12:51:30 PM »
I've been waiting and waiting on this....I've got a design in mind for my daughter and the smaller diameter will fit her hands so much better.

I also think it's cool that Tim has set up v2 to have compatible parts that will still work with v1.  Should allow for some really cool new ideas from the community.

The question isn't who is going to let me;  It's who is going to stop me!

Offline Professor Huyang

• Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 01:49:23 PM »
I've been waiting and waiting on this....I've got a design in mind for my daughter and the smaller diameter will fit her hands so much better.

I also think it's cool that Tim has set up v2 to have compatible parts that will still work with v1.  Should allow for some really cool new ideas from the community.

I had thought of this same thing. I am in the midst of a MHS saber for the wife, but the boy is bound to want one eventually too. I might keep my build as a traditional MHS size, but we shall see. Depends on where my cram-fu is at that point, and what kind of chassis I can come up with once I see the parts.
"Many years I have been on this ship teaching many a Jedi before you, and I will continue teaching many a Jedi after you. Call me what you want, but inside my memory banks I contain a record of every lightsaber ever made, and the Jedi who fashioned it."
―Huyang

Offline Arryck Corso

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 02:02:01 PM »
I know what you mean Professor!  My daughter's saber was designed all on v1 MHS and I altered some of the pieces to have a narrower grip to fit her hands......so who knows....I'll have to see what Tim comes out with and if I can incorporate it into what I've already come up with.

The question isn't who is going to let me;  It's who is going to stop me!

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 03:37:19 PM »
It is good news and yes old news but Strydur takes his time to do things RIGHT, as he did with MHS v1 which is why that became the de-facto 'standard' for saber parts in this hobby.

Newcomers to the hobby may not understand the historical development behind MHS v1 but it was actually a BRILLIANT advance. At the time many perhaps most sabers were made with standard 1.5 or 1.25' plumbing 'sinktube' with whatever solution people could kludge to fit in a lighting solution, usually an EL wire or sheet blade and maybe a few first generation Luxeon LEDs. People might cut up bits of plastic tubing to fit inside the sinktubes to hold components but chassis as we now know them were a thing of the future, as was sound for the most part, and bladeholders, pommels etc were normally slip-fit and bolted together rather than threaded. Despite that some very nice looking sabers were built but creativity was limited by availability of materials and contruction methods.

Then MHS came along which made the brilliant deduction of putting a modular system of male threaded bladeholders and pommels and female threaded body parts. The sheer GENIUS of this is that MHS was made to fit exactly BETWEEN the INSIDE diameter of the 1.5" sinktube and the OUTSIDE diameter of the 1.25" sinktube that early hobbyists were already familiar with. So a v1 MHS saber could still use the 1.5" sinktube for "overlay" shrouds while its inside diameter could also use PVC conduit to make internal parts chassis, a still viable approach we've seen PERFECTED by Madcow. And when early soundboards and speakers were developed the space inside made fitting them much easier for early sabersmiths. The size of MHS v1 was thus not 'random' but cleverly chosen to bootstrap people's existing skills at the time and allowed the DIY side of this hobby to grow at a remarkable rate in a decade.

Now over the past couple years we've found smaller soundboards, smaller speakers, even smaller LEDs [though the stars they are usually mounted on haven't changed size, mostly] to use in sabersmithing so its an opportune time for TCSS to introduce a more compact MHS and its been in development for a while but the v1 MHS remains a perfect size for many builds and I for one hope TCSS will always support it while also moving forward into the new generation.

And I hope I never again hear newcomers who don't know or appreciate its history [not meaning anyone in this thread] say they think version 1 of MHS is "fat" - it is not, and the excellent development of MHS v2 doesn't and won't make it so.

BRAVO for MHS v2...and VIVA MHS v1!
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Professor Huyang

• Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 03:50:12 PM »
It is good news and yes old news but Strydur takes his time to do things RIGHT, as he did with MHS v1 which is why that became the de-facto 'standard' for saber parts in this hobby.

Newcomers to the hobby may not understand the historical development behind MHS v1 but it was actually a BRILLIANT advance. At the time many perhaps most sabers were made with standard 1.5 or 1.25' plumbing 'sinktube' with whatever solution people could kludge to fit in a lighting solution, usually an EL wire or sheet blade and maybe a few first generation Luxeon LEDs. People might cut up bits of plastic tubing to fit inside the sinktubes to hold components but chassis as we now know them were a thing of the future, as was sound for the most part, and bladeholders, pommels etc were normally slip-fit and bolted together rather than threaded. Despite that some very nice looking sabers were built but creativity was limited by availability of materials and contruction methods.

Then MHS came along which made the brilliant deduction of putting a modular system of male threaded bladeholders and pommels and female threaded body parts. The sheer GENIUS of this is that MHS was made to fit exactly BETWEEN the INSIDE diameter of the 1.5" sinktube and the OUTSIDE diameter of the 1.25" sinktube that early hobbyists were already familiar with. So a v1 MHS saber could still use the 1.5" sinktube for "overlay" shrouds while its inside diameter could also use PVC conduit to make internal parts chassis, a still viable approach we've seen PERFECTED by Madcow. And when early soundboards and speakers were developed the space inside made fitting them much easier for early sabersmiths. The size of MHS v1 was thus not 'random' but cleverly chosen to bootstrap people's existing skills at the time and allowed the DIY side of this hobby to grow at a remarkable rate in a decade.

Now over the past couple years we've found smaller soundboards, smaller speakers, even smaller LEDs [though the stars they are usually mounted on haven't changed size, mostly] to use in sabersmithing so its an opportune time for TCSS to introduce a more compact MHS and its been in development for a while but the v1 MHS remains a perfect size for many builds and I for one hope TCSS will always support it while also moving forward into the new generation.

And I hope I never again hear newcomers who don't know or appreciate its history [not meaning anyone in this thread] say they think version 1 of MHS is "fat" - it is not, and the excellent development of MHS v2 doesn't and won't make it so.

BRAVO for MHS v2...and VIVA MHS v1!

Absolutely perfectly worded. I think that the MHS v1 is very comparable to OT style hilts in many respects, looking very powerful and heavy, but they are very comfortable to hold, and fill with electronics. I think many will still use v1 parts for years to come.
―Huyang

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 10:42:42 PM »
Dang....I saw "MHS V2" and of course automatically thought "Luke ROTJ MHS V2"  :P

#onetrackmind #v2fan

Offline Justintmars

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • There is some peace?
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 12:08:02 AM »
Dang....I saw "MHS V2" and of course automatically thought "Luke ROTJ MHS V2"  :P

#onetrackmind #v2fan
Lol did you see my new Russ Rep V2

Russ Rep V2 w/Cs2 Reason I entered the hobby

Offline DeadPuppy

• No Force
  • "insert thoughtful quote here"
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 05:45:08 PM »
This is pretty cool.  I have yet to get a saber, but I have two lined up and one is a hilt I plan on modifying.  After that I'd like to make my own custom saber, but the 1.5 OD hilts seem a little big for dueling.  I'm looking forward to the V2 stuff.  Do you think the pricing will be similar?
Balisong flipping videos and stuff: DeadPuppyCC - YouTube

retrousse