fiduciary

Author Topic: R.I.C.E cable help  (Read 5561 times)

Offline basalter

• Experienced Force User
    • A pinch of Salter
R.I.C.E cable help
« on: April 18, 2014, 01:58:17 AM »
Is there anyone in Australia who might have a spare R.I.C.E cable I could purchase? Or is it possible to solder one up? USB to a 3.5 mm plugs are sold at my local electronics store... BUT, would they be useable for the wonderful real time configuration programme? For that matter I probably need to secure a spare 3.5 mm port, as one of my CF 6s' is without that option at the moment. Any help, from anywhere, would be much appreciated. I really just wish to avoid a $40 or so min: postage from TCSS for only one or two items.

Offline wolf10100

• Master Force User
    • Master Sabers
Re: R.I.C.E cable help
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 04:48:47 AM »
a USB to 3.5mm is a R.I.C.E cable, (well, a R.I.C.E cable is a USB to 3.5mm cable). So grabbing one from your local hardware store will probably be the easiest option for you
Remember, concentrate on the moment. Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.

Offline basalter

• Experienced Force User
    • A pinch of Salter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 05:40:18 AM »
Thanks so much for that info, I was unsure if the R.I.C.E system used some sort of unique wiring , again, much appreciated wolf10100.

Offline Vercify

• Master Force User
  • rawr
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 06:20:40 AM »
a USB to 3.5mm is a R.I.C.E cable, (well, a R.I.C.E cable is a USB to 3.5mm cable). So grabbing one from your local hardware store will probably be the easiest option for you

Nice, I was wondering if it was just a standard cable! Now if I forget to put it in my TCSS order I can get it on amazon, lol. Thanks wolf!

Offline wolf10100

• Master Force User
    • Master Sabers
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 06:24:30 AM »
lol no problem guys. I have one of just about every imaginable cable for my computer so when I wired up my first R.I.C.E port, I just used a USB to 3.5mm cable that I've had for nearly two years just sitting in a box and it worked perfectly lol

obviously there are high quality, and low quality ones out there so I wouldn't suggest going for the cheapest option just because its cheap, but thats just me :P

Offline basalter

• Experienced Force User
    • A pinch of Salter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 07:09:51 AM »
So would that be true for the port as well? A standard 3.5 port from any electronics store? (This probably sounds quite naive, but I feel much better getting confirmation on things rather than making assumptions)

Offline wolf10100

• Master Force User
    • Master Sabers
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 09:09:19 AM »
In theory, yes, as long as you make sure it is the "3 pronged" version then it will be fine. (There are "2 pronged" versions available).

:)

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 09:30:47 AM »
no a standard usb to 3.5mm cable is NOT a RICE cable.  It must be a USB serial cable using the Silabs CP2102 chip, PL2303 or FTDI chip (maybe others I am not sure but those have been tested).  I am sure that is what Wolf had (the cable he picked up that he had for years) and just didn't realize it.

You cant just take some standard usb cable and make a RICE port with a 3.5mm connector.

That said "probably" most USB-3.5mm cables you buy are serial cables...just read the description to make sure.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:34:24 AM by CHEWBACCA »

Offline wolf10100

• Master Force User
    • Master Sabers
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 01:21:36 AM »
no a standard usb to 3.5mm cable is NOT a RICE cable.  It must be a USB serial cable using the Silabs CP2102 chip, PL2303 or FTDI chip (maybe others I am not sure but those have been tested).  I am sure that is what Wolf had (the cable he picked up that he had for years) and just didn't realize it.

You cant just take some standard usb cable and make a RICE port with a 3.5mm connector.

That said "probably" most USB-3.5mm cables you buy are serial cables...just read the description to make sure.

The cable holds no chip, or data, or processing ability etc... the cable is simply means for data to transfer, with USB having the more unique ability to transfer power as well as data. I've worked in the computing industry for longer than I can remember. It is the drivers on each end that are important, the cable is simply a mode of transport (and in this case can also carry power).

I have a USB to 3.5mm cable that cost me £1 (approx. $1.5-$1.6) and it works with absolutely no problems what so ever.

I think what you need to remember is there is no such thing as a R.I.C.E cable. It was simply a USB to 3.5mm cable that was utilized in order to allow what we know as R.I.C.E to interface with a computer. The cables have been around far longer than R.I.C.E has

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 06:37:55 AM »
OK I feel I didn't explain myself very well and I also believe you are mistaken about your cable.

You are correct in saying the important thing is the drivers.  Tell me how do you make a regular USB cable turn into a serial cable without a chip  (maybe there is a special software I am not aware of so I am not ruling it out but you didn't mention software)?  The chip is in the head usually and the cable looks like a normal USB cable (mine does). 

You cant have a driver for a regular USB cable because the computer doesn't see it as a device at all...its just an extension to your device and is not seen until something is plugged up to it

The sound boards are not seen as a device from the computer either so again how can you have a driver for it? 

You are also correct in saying the RICE cable is not specific to RICE and I didn't mean for it to sound like it was and mentioned 3 different serial interface chips that I know work with the RICE program.

Let me explain the facts to hopefully clear up what I was saying.

The RICE cable is simply a USB to serial interface.  The important part is the "to serial interface".

The RICE program speaks to the sound boards through a serial interface using serial commands (TX and RX).  In order to do that you have to hook the board up to the computer using a serial port.  The cables used for RICE are USB to serial cables.  When you plug the cable in it adds a serial (com) port to your computer.  Look in device manager before you plug up the cable and then after and you will see the serial port added (again a standard USB cable is not going to do that).

Then you select that serial port in the RICE program so that you can communicate with the sound board.

Its as simple as that but the fact remains  you cant just take a standard USB cable and add a 3.5 connector (by a usb to 3.5mm adapter) to it and make it work as a serial port unless you have some special program I am not aware of (again not saying it doesn't exist).  If you do you will blow the processor and end up sending it to erv or myself for repair.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:08:25 AM by CHEWBACCA »

Offline basalter

• Experienced Force User
    • A pinch of Salter
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 09:04:36 AM »
Firstly, thank you both to Chewbacca and Wolf10100 for your efforts, and for the usual diligence and care people on this forum take to help others. That said, I have gotten a little lost, and I understand in general what you are both saying, if I can use the analogy of, say,  suggesting all 18650 batteries are the same voltage, but you can still get different sorts of 18650 batteries (other than just the brand name). So, is it possible to direct me as to what description I should type to find the correct cable, as now the description of blowing a processor is concerning me if I use the generic cable purchased from the local electronics store. R.I.C.E is one of the potentially greatest conveniences to have come along since TCSS, so I really would like to get my head around it.

Offline wolf10100

• Master Force User
    • Master Sabers
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 09:13:24 AM »
OK I feel I didn't explain myself very well and I also believe you are mistaken about your cable.

You are correct in saying the important thing is the drivers.  Tell me how do you make a regular USB cable turn into a serial cable without a chip  (maybe there is a special software I am not aware of so I am not ruling it out but you didn't mention software)?  The chip is in the head usually and the cable looks like a normal USB cable (mine does). 

You cant have a driver for a regular USB cable because the computer doesn't see it as a device at all...its just an extension to your device and is not seen until something is plugged up to it

The sound boards are not seen as a device from the computer either so again how can you have a driver for it? 

You are also correct in saying the RICE cable is not specific to RICE and I didn't mean for it to sound like it was and mentioned 3 different serial interface chips that I know work with the RICE program.

Let me explain the facts to hopefully clear up what I was saying.

The RICE cable is simply a USB to serial interface.  The important part is the "to serial interface".

The RICE program speaks to the sound boards through a serial interface using serial commands (TX and RX).  In order to do that you have to hook the board up to the computer using a serial port.  The cables used for RICE are USB to serial cables.  When you plug the cable in it adds a serial (com) port to your computer.  Look in device manager before you plug up the cable and then after and you will see the serial port added (again a standard USB cable is not going to do that).

Then you select that serial port in the RICE program so that you can communicate with the sound board.

Its as simple as that but the fact remains  you cant just take a standard USB cable and add a 3.5 connector (by a usb to 3.5mm adapter) to it and make it work as a serial port unless you have some special program I am not aware of (again not saying it doesn't exist).  If you do you will blow the processor and end up sending it to erv or myself for repair.

Easy way of putting this.... Computers are my "thing", its how I have earned a living for as long as I've been working, and I have multiple qualifications within the field ranging across a Vast area. Cables, Networking, software programming, digital design... the list goes on.

When you Buy a USB to 3.5mm Cable... it is already a "serial" based cable (it is a standard, pre-defined situation given that the S in USB stands for Serial). I never said anything about using an "Adaptor", in fact I don't think I have ever come across a USB to 3.5mm Adaptor.

If you are buying a USB to 3.5mm cable that is pre-built, sealed in its packet, straight from factory etc etc... it is use-able as it is already a Serial cable whether it says that it is or not in the description.

I'm not trying to say that you are wrong, I am simply trying to say that the guy can go and grab one from his local store for a $1-$2 and it will work.

Offline basalter

• Experienced Force User
    • A pinch of Salter
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 09:48:25 AM »
Thanks so much Wolf10100, I know you and Chewbacca both have peoples best interests at heart, and I very much appreciate those efforts.

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 10:46:42 AM »
Can I just add it is the software on the p.c. that only uses the usb as a connection to the sound board and is only connected to the cf/pc board via 3 wires, I have been using a 3 prong connecter to a 3.5 jack that is then plugged into the 3.5 socket/usb if you really wanted to it could be hard wired without the jack even being used, usb is just the simplest way to access the board and its the boards firmware that enables the software on the p.c. to talk with it. The serial part is controlled via a chip in the port of the usb on the computer which is on the motherboard of the pc, without this there would be no serial bus. The lead just does the transfer of information.
And just to prove my point here's the inside of a usb data cable!
no chip included.

I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline Khal

• Formerly known as Khal1993
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 11:58:54 AM »
Apologies for jumping in here, but I think the biggest concern here is why Erv' would take the time to write a detailed manual suggesting the use of a cable that carries either of the following chipsets: FTDI, the Prolific PL2303 and the Silicon Labs (Silabs) CP2102.

I'm pretty sure that this question would have been answered, or looked into, when RICE was first available. If it was definitive that a standard USB to 3.5mm cable would work fine we would all certainly be aware of it, the manuals would have changed and we would all jump on eBay buying them for £1/$1.

Maybe it's worth having this topic moved to the 'Plecter Labs' board and Erv' can provide the definitive answer to this query.

Wolf, I understand that you have a lot of knowledge in the IT industry, but maybe the use of the cable with the suggested chipsets allows for the RICE programme to be used to it's 'full' potential. For example perhaps a standard cable could allow the change of blade colour in real time, but maybe it won't work as a debug tool? Or using alternative cables could risk corrupting the chip on the PC/CF? Just theories for now..

Either way I don't think Erv' would bother to write a manual specifying which cables to use if it wasn't for a good reason.

I certainly don't know the definitive answer for this question after hearing what Wolf and bombarta have said, but I do believe Chewie is right. Nevertheless, I follow the manuals and it's recommended by Plecter Labs, when using their products, to follow the manual...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:58:36 PM by Khal »

retrousse