fiduciary

Author Topic: Saber Baron Studios' presents LEGACY: Rule of One (NEW SOUNDFONT BUILD LOG)  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Professor Huyang

• Formerly known as TyFighter
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
LEGACY: RULE OF ONE

This soundfont is haunted. Inspired by the history of Darth Krayt, this font echoes with the tortured spirits of ancient Sith of Korriban and enslaves them under a New Order that will fracture an Empire and banish all light from the galaxy... The Rule of One.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/vdmob4rkdmzpko2/demo1.wav

With all of my fonts, I try to recreate memories from the work that inspires it. This font is no exception. I wanted to share some of the thinking that goes into my fonts, that it may help future authors imagine some of their own, and further enrich our experiences in this hobby. Consider this a build log, of sorts, of my newest font. Future productions will have more detailed logs with screenshots and demo sounds, but take this as a rough draft of what to expect from me in the future.

The boot sounds are the first things you hear when you power up your saber, so I wanted them to make you feel like you were traveling with Ash'arad Hett to the planet Korriban, where you first begin to explore the mysteries of the founders of the Sith Empire.

The ignitions vary, but I wanted the main poweron (poweron1) to echo with the voices of the ancients, as if each ignition brought you closer to the dark side. Retractions silence the voices within the saber, cutting them off from the outside world.

The hum and swings of a saber are the heart and soul of a soundfont, so needless to say, this is where I spent most of my time. The hum is sampled from the saber of Darth Maul to provide an irritated and unstable sounding crystal, but I mixed in a subtle, but deep chanting that periodically boils up from the depths of the saber. The effect is the sound of haunted spirit trapped within, snarling forth with each movement to escape its eternal prison.

Clashes are classic, quick and powerful, with some heavy reverb and echoes on numerous samples to provide a vast hollowness within the depths of the saber.

The Blasters were sampled entirely from Imperial vehicles. Since the early chapters of the Legacy series follow the Fel/Krayt Imperial Civil War, I wanted to capture that atmosphere of the comics, and incorporate it into the font.

Force effects are often the first thing I think of when making a font, and this was no exception. I wanted to create the shock whip effect that Darth Maleval uses on a stormtrooper in Noob, one of my favorite stories from the Legacy Era. With the help of Mr. Wilhelm and some carefully chosen samples from the Clone Wars, I made it a reality. The force clash effect is an original mix of a famous beheading with some ambient vocals thrown in.

The spins were a particular challenge. Every sound on your font has to harmonize with the others, or else it feels disjointed and artificial. When I started mixing my hums to make spin sounds, I realized they didn't really sound like they came from the same saber, and I went back to the drawing board with redid every sample until I found something more cohesive.

Stabs are another interesting new challenge, as you are dealing with a movement that should simply create another doppler effect, but must stand apart from the swings to avoid redundancy. Fortunately, the dastardly nature of this font gave me an idea. The stabbing, need not be the mere motion of thrusting your saber. In this case, I designed the fonts to sounds as though they impaling the enemy, with pleasing results.

Combos are such an amazing new feature on sabers, I really had a lot of fun with these. These are more vocal samples to help create ambiance, but they fit very well.

All in all, I am very pleased with this font. It definitely broke me out of my comfort zone, and I will take many of the things I have learned and apply it to remastering the Imperial Knight font, and creating new fonts going forward.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:49:07 PM by Professor Huyang »
"Many years I have been on this ship teaching many a Jedi before you, and I will continue teaching many a Jedi after you. Call me what you want, but inside my memory banks I contain a record of every lightsaber ever made, and the Jedi who fashioned it."
―Huyang

Offline Vercify

• Master Force User
  • rawr
Re: Saber Baron Studios' presents LEGACY: Rule of One
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 10:00:11 PM »
I'm getting an error message when I click the link :(

Offline Link

• Formerly known as airframe31
  • Master Force User
  • Soundfont Artist & SIG Maker :)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 10:13:25 PM »
me too :(

Offline Professor Huyang

• Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 10:19:12 PM »
stupid dropbox, making me look stupid.
"Many years I have been on this ship teaching many a Jedi before you, and I will continue teaching many a Jedi after you. Call me what you want, but inside my memory banks I contain a record of every lightsaber ever made, and the Jedi who fashioned it."
―Huyang

Offline Wildcard

• Master Force User
  • This is an ex-parrot.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
Working now Professor! Sounds good!

Offline LordBlako

• Master Force User
  • I'm just the Font Maker!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:26:52 PM »
sounds very creepy... i like it a lot!

and you realized the wilhem scream  :) i've always wanted to do this, but i never really did :D awesome!!!

Offline Link

• Formerly known as airframe31
  • Master Force User
  • Soundfont Artist & SIG Maker :)
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 10:31:02 PM »
link works now... Just heard it! Very medium, grungy sounding hum, nice voice/scream effects, suttle force transitions and clashes with smooth swings... I love every bit of it! Well done friend !!!!

Offline Professor Huyang

• Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 10:41:50 PM »
Thank you very much everyone! I learned a lot on this font, and I will have some more projects coming up soon.

I have the NEC version of this ready to go, I am just getting everything mixed on the PL side, then it is off for submission. I hope I can get it all done by the end of the week.

Just a reminder, all proceeds of Saber Baron Studios fonts go to charity. Thanks for looking!
―Huyang

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The Count formerly known as Sollus Vir
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 10:45:04 PM »
The font was quite creepy. Like there were souls trapped inside the saber trying to get out...  :o

Very good job sir!

Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters. ~Master Yoda~

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 03:26:41 AM »
Wuooooo! Nice and so Sithty ;). Great mixture and smooth transitions. Oh you get the concept right away!

Love it. I can't wait to scare the kids with this one.....mooobaaaahaaaa!

Opps yes this will make a great font.

Great start!

MTFBWY

Offline Cad-Bayne

• Formerly known as Bayne-Fett
  • Master Force User
  • "Dead or Alive, you’re worth Credits to me"
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 07:49:23 AM »
Love this font...

Offline Professor Huyang

• Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 08:56:18 AM »

and you realized the wilhem scream  :) i've always wanted to do this, but i never really did :D awesome!!!

Yessir! I try to put Mr. Wilhelm in all my fonts, and this was no exception. Thanks for the compliments!

Fun fact: Ghosts of the Grey was very influential in the making of this, so thanks for the added inspiration.
―Huyang

Offline LordBlako

• Master Force User
  • I'm just the Font Maker!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 12:44:15 PM »

Yessir! I try to put Mr. Wilhelm in all my fonts, and this was no exception. Thanks for the compliments!

Fun fact: Ghosts of the Grey was very influential in the making of this, so thanks for the added inspiration.

very cool :) ...and i feel honoured :)

Offline Professor Huyang

• Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
This font has been submitted to Saberfont.com for NEC and Plecter platforms!

Please see the updated first post for an additional log regarding production details, design process, etc. :) Thanks for looking.
―Huyang

retrousse