fiduciary

Author Topic: Luke RotJ - PVC Scratch Build  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Kouri

• No Force
  • ~
Luke RotJ - PVC Scratch Build
« on: February 03, 2016, 09:50:45 AM »
Starting with the completed image on this one:

Background for this build was for a project that needed me to build several kid-proof sabers quickly and on a tight budget. Had the idea to build a modular clampbox with the soundboard stuffed inside a large PVC coupler and the battery pack acting as the activation box. This way, batteries could be changed without anyone poking at the more delicate electronics.

That project actually fell through, but I managed to make use of the prototype when a family friend mentioned his son *really* wanted a Luke saber, and the modular soundbox seemed like a good way to go about it. Drew up some plans, mocking up Hero and V2 color schemes, and we went on building a PVC Hero Luke.

Machined a number of expanded PVC rings for the ribs, neck, and emitter, along with a knob and vented endcap for the pommel.

After the first coat of filler primer, the pommel was fitted with a tri-ring (in opposite orientation to prevent the battery box from digging into one's leg when the hilt is hung), the neck details were adjusted for comfort, and a few activation box details were machined from more expanded PVC and acrylic.

Afterward was some paint experimentation that wound up in failure. Sanded the whole hilt down, and went to my usual start-with-a-dark-base, dry-brush-to-desired-color technique.

Just an old Economy Soundboard with the standard Jedi soundfont. Tactile switch tucked away at the rear of the battery-pack/activation-box. DX RGB LED with only the green wired. 3xAAA battery pack. Custom-machined blade plug insert. Sanded thinwall blade seated about 4" into the hilt. Not the brightest or loudest saber in the world, but this kid had the biggest smile on his face when he received it.

Finished pictures below:

Offline Vercify

• Master Force User
  • rawr
Re: Luke RotJ - PVC Scratch Build
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 11:42:35 AM »
Wow, that is neat! Love the weathering and all the accent details/colors. This looks awesome for a PVC build!

Offline jedirobe

• Experienced Force User
  • ".......There is no try"
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 12:15:22 PM »
One of the coolest pvc sabers I've seen.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes......I will do what I must"

Offline garymorris2

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • grey jedi
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 04:21:43 PM »
this is a amazing build! it is spot on

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 07:25:50 PM »
Machined a number of expanded PVC rings for the ribs, neck, and emitter,

Nice job! Care to elaborate on this?

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 01:00:04 PM »
The nicest PVC saber I have seen. Very nice weathering to!

Offline Kouri

• No Force
  • ~
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 09:36:43 AM »
Wow, that is neat! Love the weathering and all the accent details/colors. This looks awesome for a PVC build!
One of the coolest pvc sabers I've seen.
this is a amazing build! it is spot on
The nicest PVC saber I have seen. Very nice weathering to!

Thanks a bunch for the kind words! I always have a lot of fun with the worn-n-torn paint jobs. I've a previous build I'll see about getting documented in a bit.

Nice job! Care to elaborate on [the PVC rings]?

Mm, sure thing. We had a bunch of scrap 1/8" (3mm) expanded PVC at the shop. I think one of the better known brands is Sintra - but we're using Palight. Anywho, bonds right onto the pipe with regular PVC cement. Here's a drawing showing the rings that went on the emitter, some beveled for the ribs, but most straight cuts:

And an in-progress picture that hopefully shows the individual rings in the emitter before I filled and sanded everything:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:22:27 AM by Kouri »

Offline Kyphotic_Jedi

• No Force
  • More machine now than man.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 07:09:10 PM »
Awesome. How much does it weigh?

retrousse