fiduciary

Author Topic: VV Tempest Review  (Read 5124 times)

Offline VoxFX

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
VV Tempest Review
« on: March 24, 2016, 05:44:19 PM »
Specs:

Basic Tempest model
Suncrusher, Silver (Imperial Knight) blade
Black Anodized, non-lit activation button.
No weathering (I am going to do some to it myself)
No convertec/D-ring

I am very pleased with this purchase.  It is the most comfortable saber hilt I've ever held.  Visually, it looks "too small" to be an average sized saber hilt, along the lines of the Graflex we have now seen in so many of the films.  However, when holding both of them, I find the Graflex feels large and cumbersome, while the Tempest feels much more like "an elegant weapon."  Take that with a grain of salt, considering I have slightly-smaller-than-average hands.  The crux of what I am saying is that if you have never held a Vader's Vault hilt, but find hilts from other makers feel too big in your hands, VV is the company for you.

It is light-weight, and the curvature of the hilt makes it very comfortable to hold, spin, and wield.  I do not think a convertec knob would be too much in the way of the grip.  The blade is very bright.  It all comes with flicker and pulse effects built in, of which I am not a fan, so I am going to purchase a microSD card reader in the hopes of turning those off.  Below are pics of how it looks in-hand, illuminated in light, and in darkness.  The lit photo is more accurate to the color.  The dark photo is focused on the blade itself (which caused the contrast to auto-correct) so you could get an idea of what the blade looks like without the camera picking up light reflection.

This is not a polished clean hilt though.  If you want that, you should definitely look into the Elite iteration of the Tempest.  There are several scuff marks on the hilt, most likely a consequence of the machining process.  Since I intended to weather the hilt myself, these actually work to my advantage.  However, if you would prefer a pristine piece to display, you should upgrade to the Elite.  Some pics are below, but I want to make it clear that that is my only complaint.

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone may have, but in summary let me say: I don't know if I will ever need another hilt.

Offline Nero Attoru

• Master Force User
  • Suns of the Force
Re: VV Tempest Review
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 12:43:08 PM »
Personally, I love the use of silver as a blade color on that hilt.  Makes it very unique.  Awesome saber, I may need to get a Tempest of my own some day!

Offline Foe Hammer

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 07:53:08 AM »
How long is the Tempest?

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 08:07:34 AM »
Cool review! Awesome silver blade.

Offline VoxFX

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 05:34:23 PM »
How long is the Tempest?

10.25 inches, from top (the point, not the emitter) to pommel.

Offline Foe Hammer

• Force User
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 05:54:03 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Shadowknight1

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 08:26:41 PM »
From everything I'm reading here and elsewhere, I think this will be my next VV saber unless the Starkiller comes back up.  The Tempest looks like a great hilt for dueling.  Sleek, simple, yet also stylish.

Offline Foe Hammer

• Force User
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 07:16:33 AM »
Would the Tempest make for a good kid sized hilt?  I'm looking to get a smaller sized saber for my daughter and would like to go with VV.

Thanks

Offline Lazi-D

• Padawan Learner
  • diagnosis, acute saberphilia...
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 09:23:13 PM »
Oh for sure!  My two daughters, 7 and 4, love theirs!

Offline Foe Hammer

• Force User
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 05:03:39 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the reply!

Offline Foe Hammer

• Force User
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 09:00:32 AM »
I ordered a Tempest back in April for my soon to be 5 year old daughter.  I received it last Friday and of course I had to check it out, you know just to make sure everything was ok.  :angel:  Being my first saber purchase from VV I have to say I was totally floored.  It's leaps and bounds above the competition.  Also, VV's customer service is top notch.  :smiley:  My daughter is going to LOVE this thing!

There are no scuffs or scratches anywhere on the saber, it's absolutely top quality.  The only issue is there are some phantom swings when holding the saber steady after an actual swing.  The battery is fully charged so I'm thinking it might be from the saber being so loud (it's VERY loud  :shocked:), causing the speaker to vibrate too much...?  One question I have - how to remove the micro SD card.  Should I just unscrew the little black screw on the board to allow it to lift up enough to remove the card?  VV newbie here so don't want to mess anything up.

Thank you Alan and Deanna!!

Offline Foe Hammer

• Force User
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 05:55:40 AM »
Ok, I figured out how to get the micro SD card out - the sound board lifts up just enough to sneak the card out with the battery removed.  I lowered the volume from 4 to 3 and it made a world of difference.  The sensitivity is PERFECT now, absolutely perfect and it is still quite loud.  I also successfully added a new sound font from saberfont.com - woo-hoo!

Offline dr.djcolegrove

• Force User
  • Impressive, most impressive
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 10:57:44 AM »
Thanks for your review.  I ordered a Tempest Elite a while back and really looking forward to it! 
VV/JQ Sabers: Starkiller; SC/VV: Qui-Gon limited edition; VV:Ardent Elite/Havoc/Hero; JQ Sabers:Graflex x2/Graflex Revisited/Lumi/Plo/Chromed Obi TPMx2/Chromed Duke; RO Sabers: Luke ANH and Rey TFA/Obi ANH/KotaV5; HARP: TFU1 SK/DM/SS/TFU2 SK/QGJ/Obi TPM; LDM: GK3/Jacen Solo; GCS: Bane/Ascend x2/Jaina Solo; SH: Force Witch x2/Padawan x2/Corran/Ahsoka pair/Luke V2/TFU2. OM/LDM: Stormtrooper/Skinnyflex; Goodman: Laceratus; FR: Gungi/Wampa/Kota/Yun/Tenel Ka/Darth Talon; NA: Darth Baras;OR: Adi Gallia/Mara Jade;MR:Sid; 89Sabers: Sid,LukeV2

Offline jamesjynus

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 01:56:31 PM »
Thanks for the review. Very nice!

retrousse